testtest

SA .22 Project Completed

Grayfox

Custom
A while back I posted a thread asking about refinishing alloy guns. A couple of folks asked me to show the result. Well, here tis! 😁

I picked this poor thing up a couple of months ago. Hy Hunter Frontier Six Shooter in .22LR. According to the internet, these were actually made by J.P. Sauer & Sohn in West Germany and imported during the 1960s under the Hy Hunter name in Hollywood. CA.

This poor thing was a mess when I got it. The barrel was loose, the firing pin was about to fall out and there was an occasional hitch in the action. Plus the grips were completely wrong for this gun. I really don't know how they managed to stay on. And on top of all that, the finish was very badly worn. But it seemed to have good bones and I only gave $30 for it. ;)

This is what I started with:

The mechanical issues were fairly easy to fix. I found a set of close grips on the internet, but had to fit them some. The problem was in the finish. As near as I could tell, most of this gun is made of Zamak or a similar alloy. So finish options were limited. I decided to go with Brownell's Alumahyde II. Its a spray on, paint like, finish made specifically for alloy guns. I took the gun completely apart, sanded the parts and sprayed the individual pieces. The instructions said it dries to the touch in 1-2 hours, BUT needs 1-2 weeks to cure completely. Of course I tried to rush it and messed up a piece. :rolleyes: I re-did that one and then gave the finish the full two weeks to cure completely. Got it all back together and I think it came out pretty good.

I took it to the range today. I fired a little over 100 rounds of 7 different types of ammo. It ain't no tack driver, but its minute of tin can with ammo it likes. Not too shabby for a decrepit old man and those tiny fixed sights.

All told, I have right at $80 in it. I think it was worth it. ;)

A while back I posted a thread asking about refinishing alloy guns. A couple of folks asked me to show the result. Well, here tis! 😁

I picked this poor thing up a couple of months ago. Hy Hunter Frontier Six Shooter in .22LR. According to the internet, these were actually made by J.P. Sauer & Sohn in West Germany and imported during the 1960s under the Hy Hunter name in Hollywood. CA.

This poor thing was a mess when I got it. The barrel was loose, the firing pin was about to fall out and there was an occasional hitch in the action. Plus the grips were completely wrong for this gun. I really don't know how they managed to stay on. And on top of all that, the finish was very badly worn. But it seemed to have good bones and I only gave $30 for it. ;)

The mechanical issues were fairly easy to fix. I found a set of close grips on the internet, but had to fit them some. The problem was in the finish. As near as I could tell, most of this gun is made of Zamak or a similar alloy. So finish options were limited. I decided to go with Brownell's Alumahyde II. Its a spray on, paint like, finish made specifically for alloy guns. I took the gun completely apart, sanded the parts and sprayed the individual pieces. The instructions said it dries to the touch in 1-2 hours, BUT needs 1-2 weeks to cure completely. Of course I tried to rush it and messed up a piece. :rolleyes: I re-did that one and then gave the finish the full two weeks to cure completely. Got it all back together and I think it came out pretty good.

I took it to the range today. I fired a little over 100 rounds of 7 different types of ammo. It ain't no tack driver, but its minute of tin can with ammo it likes. Not too shabby for a decrepit old man and those tiny fixed sights.

Nice restoration job brother. Looks great.

VERY NICE!
I remember Hy Hunter. If I recall correctly, they were sold though Howe Fur co. Coopersville Me., Hawbakers, and others. But that was a long time ago so I wouldn't bet that my memory is like Ivory soap. 99/100% pure.

It was standing, free hand at 10 yards. Like I said, I'm getting old and I'm not as steady as I once was. :rolleyes:
There’s never a reason to justify your target or distance to anyone here brother. ( I do NOT believe that was Snake’s intent by the way, my statement Is general observation and consistent with my own content here.) I rarely, RARELY post pictures of my targets. I leave that for @SimonRL , @KillerFord1977 and @BassCliff. They shoot better than me anyway.

My eyes work fine and I am adept at combat accuracy, especially at moving targets while I’m moving as well. But I am no bullseye guy and spend about zero time trying to become one.

Hi!

Very nice! Thanks for sharing your fun with us. I also love my little .22 cowboy gun. It's very relaxing to practice with it. Yours looks great and cost less that my Heritage Rough Rider. I

Your targets look fine. Every time i post a target it gives me an excuse to practice more! :ROFLMAO: Boy do I need it. 😉. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi!

Very nice! Thanks for sharing your fun with us. I also love my little .22 cowboy gun. It's very relaxing to practice with it. Yours looks great and cost less that my Heritage Rough Rider. I
Yes, you have a great project here, and it even cost less than my CO2/BB gun! :eek: ;)(y)

1702737026667.jpeg

I only paid $65 for my used Super Single Six. :eek: Of course, that was back in 1975. ;) Running those numbers through three different online inflation calculators says that equates to about $370 today. And no, I wouldn't sell that gun for $370 today, so don't bother asking. ;)

You did GREAT for 80 2023 dollars, my friend! ;)

Back