testtest

SA-35 Accuracy

Superzuki

Operator
I've been thinking this over, I don't want to seem critical of my Hi Power. It wasn't very accurate, compared to my Girsan P35. I've been a pistol shooter for over 50 years and I do all right. Well I'm actually pretty good. But the SA 35 didn't do all that well. I tried different ammunition, tightened my grip, loosened my grip. I made sure my finger was in the proper place on the trigger. Nothing helped. The groups were all in the 9 and 10 ring at 15 yards and in the center of the target at 20 yards, but just not as good as with my Girsan nor even close to my FN New High Power. This last Sunday I found a Brownell's P35 barrel I had purchased a year ago, in my range bag. So I tried that.

I was like a different pistol. every round went exactly where I aimed. It wasn't me after all.....
The reason I bought it was because it was the last one Brownell's had and it was on sale, cheap. I didn't take any pictures, I was so amazed that I didn't even think of it. It's black Nitrided so it even looks good in the slide. I don't know if it will solve the other problem I've had and that's brass ejected all over. The last magazine I shot didn't spit any brass in my face. Maybe it was the barrel and maybe it just needed more rounds down the barrel.

I'm in the same boat...I purchased a new SA35 only a few months ago and I cannot find a range ammo or self defense ammo it likes. Remington, Federal, Winchester S&B 115gr feeds ok but I'm having an FTF every magazine, whether the factory mag or my new Mec-Gars. 124s don't feed at all and neither do 147s and so far I've only had one round fail to eject properly. As for self defense ammo...I haven't found one brand/bullet that will reliably feed...Underwood, Buffalo Bore, Cor-Bon, Double Tap, Winchester, Remington, Federal, Fiocchi, S&B nothing...absolutely nothing will reliably feed at all...it's worse than the FMJs. I even tried Underwood/Nosler "Extreme Defender" round and they fed slightly better but nothing consistent. Accuracy is just an 8 letter word because free hand or on the bench my SA35 has about an 8 inch spread at 10 yards! There's no hit pattern that's consistent no matter the brand or grain. I love HPs but this Springfield has been absolute trash.

I'm in the same boat...I purchased a new SA35 only a few months ago and I cannot find a range ammo or self defense ammo it likes. Remington, Federal, Winchester S&B 115gr feeds ok but I'm having an FTF every magazine, whether the factory mag or my new Mec-Gars. 124s don't feed at all and neither do 147s and so far I've only had one round fail to eject properly. As for self defense ammo...I haven't found one brand/bullet that will reliably feed...Underwood, Buffalo Bore, Cor-Bon, Double Tap, Winchester, Remington, Federal, Fiocchi, S&B nothing...absolutely nothing will reliably feed at all...it's worse than the FMJs. I even tried Underwood/Nosler "Extreme Defender" round and they fed slightly better but nothing consistent. Accuracy is just an 8 letter word because free hand or on the bench my SA35 has about an 8 inch spread at 10 yards! There's no hit pattern that's consistent no matter the brand or grain. I love HPs but this Springfield has been absolute trash.
Contact these folks. They know all that is known about the BHP design, and how to improve it, especially the SA-35.

Try Springfield, if you registered your warranty, they might be able to help. Since you've already paid them, probably no charge.
I considered going to BHSS for mine. I just happened to have a barrel and tried it.

I would call Springfield and tell them about your issues. I wanted an SA 35 bad when they announced them and by the time I saw one (over a year later), I bought a Girsan. Why would you want to spend money (maybe a lot) for issues the factory is responsible for? It's always disappointing to have to return something, but would you rather dump money into it or sell it instead?

Old-me, that's why I'm hesitate to purchase fairly new used handguns at the LGS, because I'll probably end up with some else's problem.

mine was at the 6,000 serial number, and by that time, any of the bugs should have been worked out.

i believe mine was a near perfect 35.

but, in the end, and to me, not everyone else, it was all hyperbole than anything else.

i am sure others love thiers, i just wasn't as impressed overall from my 2 CZ's.

mine shot, what ever i fed it, Blazer, Winchester white box, Federal, S&B, Remington UMC/white box/brown box, as Fiocchi was not sold at my LGS as of that time.

mostly 115 and 124 grains, round nose.

ejection can/could be an extractor issue.??? i think that was one of the problems they were having.

your best bet, call Springfield, talk to them, and suggest they have you ship it to them.

I would call Springfield and tell them about your issues. I wanted an SA 35 bad when they announced them and by the time I saw one (over a year later), I bought a Girsan. Why would you want to spend money (maybe a lot) for issues the factory is responsible for? It's always disappointing to have to return something, but would you rather dump money into it or sell it instead?
i have have heard good things about the Girsan model.

i have had at least 4 different Girsan guns none were the 35, and each one was great.

a bit cheaper too.

I never have had accuracy issues with my SA-35. Shoots properly on target
I did send it back in the beginning to SA for the extractor. It was a jam-o-matic before I sent it back .
No issues since
depending on the serial number he has, it could be an earlier run, that was in a warehouse for sometime, before he bought it.

i'd hate to think after the thousands run off, they still have an extractor issue.

and if so, then i'd not recommend anyone buy a 35, cuz then (to me) it seems that SA is not addressing the issue overall at the factory, and just fixing them piece meal as they get sent in for warranty work.

I purchased a SA35 when they retailed for $699.
Found one for $650.
I am not one to shoot factory ammo.
After some trail and error I made a handload(2) using my cast bullets(2) that function reliably.
Being left handed I added a ambidextrous safety.
Shooting offhand at 100 yards I can get more hits with my Glock 35 using my cast bullets!
I feel the only negative is the inability to single load the chamber without a magazine.

I had accuracy issues with my new SA-35. At 15 yards it shot 6+ inch groups! However, I wanted to attach a suppressor
onto it, so I bought a BH Springs Solutions Co. threaded stainless barrel for it. This barrel has a 1-10 inch twist and 11 degree crown. It's a tack-driver now! (I was told that the factory barrels have a 1-16 inch twist, so they don't properly
stabilize 124 and up weight bullets). I don't know if that's true, but it's too bad I HAD to buy an aftermarket barrel for a
new gun!

Back