testtest

SA-35 Review: Dissecting Springfield’s New Pistol

I ordered mine last year and have been quite pleased with the overall performance of the pistol. However, there are several points that need to be presented. First, the suggested list price of about $699 is nowhere near what I paid! Mine cost near $900. Nobody forced me to pay it, so my bad, but price gouging has been an issue. Second, I also bought the Grisan 35, which is the exact same gun, except made in Turkey for about $400 and change and it is just as good! I have many Springfield products, but in this case all you are doing is paying for a name. As for the FN model, just released. They charge well over a grand, because its FN! I suggest doing some research before paying premium prices. If you can find the SA 35 for suggested retail, then by all means buy one, it is a very nice gun!

Gunrunner - I don't know about the other companies that make similar guns, but from what I read, and knowing it was from Springfield, I went with the SA-35 despite the price. I think I paid between $800 and $900. At the time, those other choices didn't yet exist, as far as I know. For me, this "issue" has been going on for much longer than a year.

Since I'm asking for targets, here is what Springfield sent me for my current gun. These test targets make it clear to me that I'm doing things properly, and I think that has everything to do with the sights.

Three impressive targets, by three different testers:

Attachments

• IMG_6727.jpg
    IMG_6727.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 118
Rather strange and unique sight picture!! :)
Well, it would allow you to put holes in your buddies target way at the left!

Hey, I wasn't aware that Springfield made any different sights for the SA-35.
Where did you find them? Can you please post a link?

Hey Mike. Unlike the bulls eye pictured in my post, I was able to find the link where I ordered the night sights: https://store.springfield-armory.com/truglo-tritium-pro-night-sights-sa-35/ By the way, I peened the sight just a bit and that created a bit of friction going back into the slot. I also added a bit of Blue Loctite to the screw. Hopefully, I'll have better luck next week!

Mike

Rather strange and unique sight picture!! :)
Well, it would allow you to put holes in your buddies target way at the left!

Hey, I wasn't aware that Springfield made any different sights for the SA-35.
Where did you find them? Can you please post a link?
SA doesn't make those sights but sources & offers those sights from Tru-glo which responded to another company that discovered the SA-35 did not have a standard BHP sight cuts.

Here's 10 rounds at 25 yards, from a porch rail.
I'm spoiled with a 1911 trigger, this one is smooth but it's the typical 6-7 lbs.
Girsan mc p35 Match

Attachments

• IMG_20230301_151554775.jpg
    IMG_20230301_151554775.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20230301_151221610.jpg
    IMG_20230301_151221610.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20230301_151707910.jpg
    IMG_20230301_151707910.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
Thanks, I see 9 hits on the steel. How many rounds did you fire?

You can adjust the rear sight to get the holes centered, but I have no idea how adjust the elevation. I don't think it can be done at all, unless/until we can get adjustable sights, preferably a red dot.

I should be back at the range in two weeks or so, as soon as my car is out of the shop.

I had been looking for an SA 35 since it came out. Gun stores around were always out of stock. Then a couple had some but like others posted the price was higher than manufactures list. But then couple of weeks ago I was shooting at favorite range and window shopping on my way out there was a SA 35 in the case. Better yet it was priced well below list price. Bought it right away. Seems that location hadn't had many request for the SA 35 so they marked it down. So you might try a RangeUSA if there is one in your area. No I don't work for them.

Here's 10 rounds at 25 yards, from a porch rail.
I'm spoiled with a 1911 trigger, this one is smooth but it's the typical 6-7 lbs.
Girsan mc p35 Match
The reviews of the Girsan Match/OPS models have said the trigger gets better with use until it reaches a certain point so there's a bit of a break in period.

.....But then couple of weeks ago I was shooting at favorite range and window shopping on my way out there was a SA 35 in the case. Better yet it was priced well below list price. Bought it right away. .....
Have you shot it yet? How's it working out for you? Which ammo are you using?
Shooting at targets, or steel, or ???

Have you shot it yet? How's it working out for you? Which ammo are you using?
Shooting at targets, or steel, or ???
yes shot it asap. love it! at first shot a bit high but straight. lowered my site a bit and it was perfect. Was using Sellier & Bellot 124gr ball ammo. Which used to be clean target ammo but I have noticed it has become dirtier lately. I have a couple of Springfield Armory Pistols and they do like to be clean. Usually have to clean after 400/500 rounds. Used paper targets.

If your trigger pressure is too high, and you insist, Springfield can correct that. I think they gave me a whole trigger job. Call them, and insist on the same trigger pull as ALL the magazines report. My gun came back with 6 pounds, but that dropped to 5 after a few dry-fire shots.

Eventually, someone is bound to make adjustable sights for it, but I don't think the gun was intended for target shooting.

Back