testtest

Safe At Home

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Most people think about personal protection, they mainly think about how to stay safe outside their homes. While the vast majority of crime against citizens occurs outside the home, home invasion robberies and worse do occur.

Safe at Home

safe-at-home-300x242.png

Safe At Home Effective home safety preparation should consist of concentric rings of defense with a viable core response plan to any type of unauthorized home entry.

Angry dog gives me time to asses and take action. If they make it past the pooch
Same here. Theres nothing in my house worth dealing with an 80lb Boxer that dosn't do well with strangers. And a little 5lb rat dog that starts barking if a squirrel farts 2 blocks away. So the little dog will have the big dog all riled up for you before you even get here.. Anyways.. will have plenty of warning and time to dust off the Mossberg while im watching the 5hit show..

Same here. Theres nothing in my house worth dealing with an 80lb Boxer that dosn't do well with strangers. And a little 5lb rat dog that starts barking if a squirrel farts 2 blocks away. So the little dog will have the big dog all riled up for you before you even get here.. Anyways.. will have plenty of warning and time to dust off the Mossberg while im watching the 5hit show..
LOl... Come to think of it.. I have to windex my front door glass about every other day. I think if i was a bad guy and seen the snot and slobber on there i would pick a different house..:oops:

It's funny sometimes... when the big dog looks at the little dog like.. "what are we barking at"...lol.

I like these kinds of thing - and thanks Talyn - if for no other reason than they make me think.

A couple of my own thoughts:
1) these things are good because they heighten your Situational Awareness, which is probably your best weapon and most important planning factor.
2) that circular diagram is nice and simple. Easy to recall and not overdeveloped or overprocessed.
3) you also need flexibility - since you can’t know what factors will arise, you can’t plan every possible scenario. There’s electrical power failures and all kinds of stuff that can impact.
4) what you can do is work off of facts: how many steps long is my hallway? My driveway? If I gotta run for it out the back door, which way is better and what’s regularly laying around in the yard? Is there a reliable like minded neighbor nearby who can share a code word/phrase we’d shout after one of us hammers on the others door (dangerous, but something to consider. Mimics the old ‘running password’ we were taught in the Army). Do i ‘combat park’ at night? (car pointed out the driveway; no backing/turning). How far from the side door to the car? If my long, winding driveway is blocked, what do if E&E becomes necessary?
Etc etc etc.
But always remember that SA is the cornerstone of any viable plan, simple or complex. Hope and Luck are not planning factors!

Last edited:
Underground lawn sprinkler system filled with gasoline.

The fictional UA-571 C Sentry Gun from Aliens (1986) comes to mind.....

^ That sequence was cut from the theatrical version, but I remember seeing it when I was younger, on network TV. It made that section of the movie so much more tense for me, seeing that counter run down. 😧

---

Back on-topic:

One interesting article I remember reading somewhere -I will try to find the source and post-up here if-successful- was a series of interviews with various ex- and current thieves who specialized in breaking into residential homes.

What surprised me was that their answers were not consistent, as many "advice" articles instead tend to be, which tends to present X or Y defensive measures as ones that "work/work better" versus others.

Instead, in these interviews, what one thief would say is their #1 turn-off would often be completely negated by another, who suggested that it never hindered his efforts.

To me, this variability goes to show that home-security truly needs to be a multi-layered plan as outlined in @Talyn 's cited article above. Everything from landscaping/lighting to window laminates, hardening of entryways, and alarms - to the choice of family pets - can all have an impact on not only target selection, but also how much warning/response-time one may have, should the resident(s) be so unlucky as to be the target of a home invasion instead of just a burglary.

A consideration that I would like to specifically point out is the relative scarcity of home-invasions that occur to the "average Joe/Jane," versus the likelihood of the home being unoccupied and burgled. This not only has implications in terms of what defensive measures should be seen as primary, but also necessarily impacts the safe-storage needs of our firearms and other defensive weapons, as well as highlights the importance of being cognizant that our risks do not simply dissipate into vapor as we pull into our driveway or even as we open the outer door to the home we return to from work or errands. Instead, we should realize that this is often one of our biggest risks of the day, particularly if we are arriving home at a time that is out-of-sync with our usual daily routines (i.e. that we surprise a burglary-in-progress).

If I lived in the big city, I would be more concerned about a home invasion and needing to be constantly armed. As it stands, I live out in the country in a gun-friendly state. I'm sure that would-be criminals think about that when deciding who to rob and who to avoid. Even still, I am ready, if anyone decides to show up. And that's all the detail you will get!

Many years ago while in a college crim course, I interviewed a number of career burglars in the state penitentiary about how they chose burglary targets and what deterred them. Lights, having to make noise while breaking in, big dogs, and nosy neighbors were high on the list. Homeowners with guns were on the list but not at the top. But then these guys were pros and their targets were chosen in part because no one was home. I also recalled that daylight burglaries were thought to be less risky than nightime burglaries. Home invasions were pretty rare in those days as compared to nowadays.

If I lived in the big city, I would be more concerned about a home invasion and needing to be constantly armed.

^ Towards that.....

Many years ago while in a college crim course, I interviewed a number of career burglars in the state penitentiary about how they chose burglary targets and what deterred them. Lights, having to make noise while breaking in, big dogs, and nosy neighbors were high on the list. Homeowners with guns were on the list but not at the top. But then these guys were pros and their targets were chosen in part because no one was home. I also recalled that daylight burglaries were thought to be less risky than nightime burglaries. Home invasions were pretty rare in those days as compared to nowadays.
* emphasis added

Truthfully, @Jimbo, home-invasions are quite rare - certainly, their fallout is much more severe, which is likely what's really driving our inherent biases that puts it so far at the top of our lists as defensive gun owners.

Even here in the city, the vast majority of such incidents are related to illicit drugs. Even for the wealthy, it's much more about burglaries when the owners are not home - which, of-course, is where that caution about coming home to a burglary-in-progress comes into play.

I can't remember if it's John Farnam or Clint Smith - or another such highly-regarded individual - whose advice on returning hone I pirated. :) In reality, aside from my commute, coming home to the unoccupied house is really one of the biggest risks I take every day. I'm far from rich, but burglars don't always go for those who live in mansions! 😅

In my area we've had dirt-bags (druggies trying to get stuff to sell) that prefer to come in from the backyards during work hours. They hop the fences and they get in from sliding picture windows or back door/windows.

My neighborhood likes to band together to watch each others places so when something happens the word gets out. Many/most of us have hardened/made our exteriors more problematic for anyone to get in, and have installed exterior lights & cameras after the last series of break-ins.

Anyone trying to get into my place will have to make ALOT of noise.

Brother.. everything can have a risk matrix. Generally speaking, your home is a place that you have dominion over and substantially control. That condition lends itself to a mitigation of a great many things that often exist fluidly or unchecked in public spaces. Most people are probably MORE SAFE at home and understandably so. That doesnt mean that a person should ignore basic security issues while at home but lets be realistic.

Back