testtest

Safe Recommendation

Grumps

Operator
I need help finding a good safe. My needs are handguns (6 at this time) only, no long guns, and light enough to get up 3 flights of stairs. I can find safes all day long, but what I'm finding are just way to big.
I live on the third floor, with NO elevator, I can get a dolly to get it up the stairs.
While I have 6 now, you know that I will get more, its just the nature of beast.

Any suggest are welcome.

I need help finding a good safe. My needs are handguns (6 at this time) only, no long guns, and light enough to get up 3 flights of stairs. I can find safes all day long, but what I'm finding are just way to big.
I live on the third floor, with NO elevator, I can get a dolly to get it up the stairs.
While I have 6 now, you know that I will get more, its just the nature of beast.

Any suggest are welcome.
When you are talking about safes there are several levels of security, which come with progressively higher price tags.

You definitely want more safe than you think you do.

Any safe can be gotten into. It's a matter of time and skill. You need to decide what sort of security level you want/need.

A safe like this can be had for about $500. I have one. I know this says $600, but I paid $500 for mine. I estimate it's empty weight at about 400 lbs and I estimate it would take a guy with a heavy crowbar and a circular saw about 30 minutes to pry it off the wall and cut the top off. He would need a half hour where he could make a lot of noise. Someone with more skill could defeat the lock, but your average burglar doesn't have that kind of skill.

When you are talking about safes there are several levels of security, which come with progressively higher price tags.

You definitely want more safe than you think you do.

Any safe can be gotten into. It's a matter of time and skill. You need to decide what sort of security level you want/need.

A safe like this can be had for about $500. I have one. I know this says $600, but I paid $500 for mine. I estimate it's empty weight at about 400 lbs and I estimate it would take a guy with a heavy crowbar and a circular saw about 30 minutes to pry it off the wall and cut the top off. He would need a half hour where he could make a lot of noise. Someone with more skill could defeat the lock, but your average burglar doesn't have that kind of skill.

To make the lift upstairs even easier the door can be easily removed by picking it straight up off the hinges when it's open to reduce the weight. If you do take the door off of a gun safe the hinge pins will sometimes fall out as will a ball bearing for the hinges so keep that in mind to not lose any parts.

Have you gave any thoughts on security cabinets that you mount against a wall. Neighbor has this one, really likes it

My gun safe has 4 doors with double deadbolts and 2 dogs. Guess if they get thru that, they’ll get into a safe
Do the dogs eat much or make a lot of noise? 🤭🙄😵‍💫😂

Just kidding.

I keep my guns in a locked bedroom closet and the bedroom door is locked as well when no one is home.
The apartment also has a security system that makes some serious ear piercing noise.

A friend bought a safe when he purchased his last house, it weighed so much he spent more money to have the floor reinforced to keep it from falling through the floor into the basement.

Any suggest are welcome.
if you are doing this if only to comply with any new or existing state laws, then look at Century safes, not expensive, but not the best either, but at the very least, it may satisfy the local laws, and keep out the little kids.

but then, try and bolt it down to the floor, for added security.

Do the dogs eat much or make a lot of noise? 🤭🙄😵‍💫😂

Just kidding.

I keep my guns in a locked bedroom closet and the bedroom door is locked as well when no one is home.
The apartment also has a security system that makes some serious ear piercing noise.

A friend bought a safe when he purchased his last house, it weighed so much he spent more money to have the floor reinforced to keep it from falling through the floor into the basement.
I have a gun safe as well as locked closets, but to me, that just tells a burglar where to look ?
One can kick in an interior door quite easily

My thought is that a safe (or any locked storage) should be difficult enough to forcibly enter to deter a "casual" thief. Someone who is determined to get into something can, given enough time. We try to make it a case of risk v reward for the perp in our world.

Recently purchased a cabinet through Amazon that came assembly required, but the main door has a lock/bolt assembly similar to a safe. It weighs around 80 lbs, and wasn't particularly difficult to assemble. The small cabinet above the main area was a bonus. I have seen the same thing on some of the shopping sites. It ran around $300 total with shipping.

The plus on this for me is that it was far easier to get upstairs than the 12 gun safe we purchased a few years ago. Bolt it down and it's not going anywhere without a lot of effort.

I'm not necessarily going to recommend a safe. We have a Liberty Centurion.

What I am going to recommend is that you make sure you look at the used market.

the reason I mentioned that we had a Liberty Centurion is because it's a name brand with a good reputation and ours (18 guns) generally goes for about $700.

My wife found it for sale used on Facebook Marketplace for $325.

It's irrelevant to this discussion but the person that we bought it from was an Air Force officer who was on his way to SHAFE and didn't want to ship it.

I second the Liberty vote. Initially bought a safe from Costco. It had an electronic lock on it and no key backup.
I unpacked it and placed the battery in the holder. It worked 3 times then quit. Turned out the battery wire came loose. I was able to jiggle it enough to open it one more time to get the guns out. Took it back and bought a Liberty with a mechanical lock. Works every time.

Have you gave any thoughts on security cabinets that you mount against a wall. Neighbor has this one, really likes it

This.
Also keep in mind weight and size. Can the flooring support it?
If you’re in an apartment you’ll be advertising to your neighbors that you have something of value to secure.
A small under bed rifle safe will hold your handguns and a rifle or the metal cabinet route.
Both you can easily get inside by yourself.

This.
Also keep in mind weight and size. Can the flooring support it?
If you’re in an apartment you’ll be advertising to your neighbors that you have something of value to secure.
A small under bed rifle safe will hold your handguns and a rifle or the metal cabinet route.
Both you can easily get inside by yourself.

This is a security cabinet and only weighs 85 pounds, this is NOT A SAFE!
Just a locking gun cabinet.

This is a security cabinet and only weighs 85 pounds, this is NOT A SAFE!
Just a locking gun cabinet.
I know, I have one. Three layers of ammo cans and it’s bolted to wall. Heavy enough that it has to be pryed or cut into to open. I store ammo in metal cabinet. It is what I “ started” in as apartment dweller. Any safe or storage cabinet is only going to keep an honest person out or slow down a crook. Given enough time or determination they will get what they want.

I know, I have one. Three layers of ammo cans and it’s bolted to wall. Heavy enough that it has to be pryed or cut into to open. I store ammo in metal cabinet. It is what I “ started” in as apartment dweller. Any safe or storage cabinet is only going to keep an honest person out or slow down a crook. Given enough time or determination they will get what they want.
Yep, no matter what, if they got time, that’s why I don’t advertise what I got to any neighbors, for me to know and that’s it. Where I used to live the one neighbor always bragged that he has this or he has that, sad thing he never had a safe of cabinet, kept them under his mattress……lol, people like that never have issues……🤔🤔

I would advise against a “gun” safe, per se.

I’d get a smaller safe, 2-3 CuFt; most of them can easily hold a dozen or more handguns (just take them out of the case and keep them in a Bore-Stor rug, etc.

Doesn’t scream “I have guns!” to all your neighbors as you lug it up the stairs, either.

I would advise against a “gun” safe, per se.

I’d get a smaller safe, 2-3 CuFt; most of them can easily hold a dozen or more handguns (just take them out of the case and keep them in a Bore-Stor rug, etc.

Doesn’t scream “I have guns!” to all your neighbors as you lug it up the stairs, either.

ours was delivered in the dark, wrapped in dark cloth on a trailer, backed up to garage, off loaded and closed garage then used silent drills to attach to the concrete

just kidding, yep nosey nieghbors can be problematic in apartments

apartment living is a challenge
agreed to get a small locking container that is not much bigger than a suitcase to not attract looooookey looos
bolt it to studs in a closet and hang clothes in front of it

time is a thiefs enemy

Check out this show if you can find it. Might give you some ideas. It's really quite interesting.

Back