testtest

Saint Victor .308 Cam Pin

Meh

Alpha
So I was going to take the rifle to the range to fire it for the first time, I stripped it to make sure it was well lubricated before it’s first firing session and I noticed the cam pin holes are lined up with the long side of the head of the pin which means I don’t have to rotate it to get it in and out around the gas key.

Is this normal for this rifle? the manual says to rotate 90 degrees like every other BCG I’ve seen.

I’m worried I have a defected cam pin and now I’m doubting taking the rifle to the range tomorrow.

The cam pin will only go in 1 way into the bcg and will only line up for the firing pin to go threw. If you're asking about removal there is a firing pin that has a cotter pin that needs too be removed, then firing pin removed before the cam pin can be rotated 90 degrees after the bolt is pushed back.

According to the instructions it’s supposed to go in like in the picture and you rotate it to align the openings for the firing pin to go thru.
Expect the holes are in like this, if I rotate the cam pin the holes won’t be aligned anymore.

Attachments

• E5E67D9F-5432-4D31-9FC4-1F3F46684606.jpeg
    E5E67D9F-5432-4D31-9FC4-1F3F46684606.jpeg
    636.4 KB · Views: 174
  • DB0DD450-D222-48D1-972A-7F15FE39AE67.jpeg
    DB0DD450-D222-48D1-972A-7F15FE39AE67.jpeg
    618.1 KB · Views: 189
According to the instructions it’s supposed to go in like in the picture and you rotate it to align the openings for the firing pin to go thru.
Expect the holes are in like this, if I rotate the cam pin the holes won’t be aligned anymore.

I don't see any issues there just collapse the bolt completely and install the cam pin then firing pin and last the cotter pin.

I just pulled this pic from the online that shows the cut out in the upper receiver that accepts the cam pin fin tab as the bolt rotates closed into the barrel. If the cam pin was in the incorrect alignment theres no where else on the upper the cam pin fin tab to go so the bolt would not be able to close and lock. This is the reason why you need to pull your bolt forward before placing the BCG back into the upper after removing it.

Screenshot_20211219-210810_Firefox~2.jpg

Last edited:
I just pulled this pic from the online that shows the cut out in the upper receiver that accepts the cam pin fin tab as the bolt rotates closed into the barrel. If the cam pin was in correct alignment theres no where else on the upper the cam pin fin tab to go so the bolt would not be able to close and lock. This is the reason why you need to pull your bolt forward before placing the BCG back into the upper after removing it.

View attachment 23314
Great picture, I never knew what that half circle cut was for now I do.
Thanks 10

I don’t mean to be a jerk but the information on taking apart and
re-assembly of the BCG as well as tons of other information is found in the owners manual, I’m not saying not to ask questions but please read your owners manual.
Sometimes owners manuals can be little vague on information related to certain parts or functions and typically only give basic safety & maintenance information without pictures to show proper function.

Its always better safe than sorry to ask questions unless you get bad answers to your questions. 🤪

Sometimes owners manuals can be little vague on information related to certain parts or functions and typically only give basic safety & maintenance information without pictures to show proper function.

Its always better safe than sorry to ask questions unless you get bad answers to your questions. 🤪
And I agree as to why I mentioned ask questions however the Springfield Armory owners manual are in my opinion the best and although the pictures could be better the information in them is well written.

Too be hones I never really thought about why the hole was there in the 1st place! I nkew the cam pin had too be directly under the gas key before reinserting back into the upper. Now that gets me thinking about if it's why some don't headspace or lockup correctly? Either a machining gone wrong or parts just out of spec?

Too be hones I never really thought about why the hole was there in the 1st place! I nkew the cam pin had too be directly under the gas key before reinserting back into the upper. Now that gets me thinking about if it's why some don't headspace or lockup correctly? Either a machining gone wrong or parts just out of spec?
Agreed. It makes me wonder why my 2 Savage AR10’s kept chewing up locking lugs, timing was off due to bad cut for that rotating pin.

Agreed. It makes me wonder why my 2 Savage AR10’s kept chewing up locking lugs, timing was off due to bad cut for that rotating pin.
Sounds like the barrel wasn't timed right and that could have been from a faulty upper receiver where the barrel indexing pin slot was possibly milled incorrectly on the receiver or the indexing pin could have been drilled and installed incorrectly on the barrel throwing off the barrel timing.

Sounds like the barrel wasn't timed right and that could have been from a faulty upper receiver where the barrel indexing pin slot was possibly milled incorrectly on the receiver or the indexing pin could have been drilled and installed incorrectly on the barrel throwing off the barrel timing.
Well whatever it was it happened on both the 6.5 C.M. AR10 and the .308 guns are now owned by someone else now and I have my M1A for shooting my .308 rounds. I’m happy. I won’t buy another Savage AR.

Back