testtest

Sako S20 Hybrid Rifle Review

I can only opine about big game hunting. I'm not a target shooter.

I've known and know a lot of big game hunters most of whom have had/have many rifles chambered for various cartridges. Invariably, one rifle is their favorite. It's the rifle most often used. I'm the same way. I owned a Browning .338 Win Mag for over 30 years. I fired it 3 times. I've never hunted with it. I finally sold it. I sold another big game rifle that I never used. The rifle I reach for is my first big game rifle: a Model 700 .270. It's insanely accurate. I have complete confidence in it. I have 2 other big game rifles, Both are Sako Av's, both are just as accurate as my Model 700, and both are a lot heavier. They won't kill big game more dead than my Model 700 .270 Win. I leave my Sako rifles at home. My Model 700 always goes with me.

Most hunters fall in love with a rifle & cartridge combo that works for them. They might own dozens of big game rifles, but they'll hunt with their favorite that has brought them most success.

The Sako S20 seems like a specialized outfit that'll appeal to a very small population of hunters.

BTW, the '06 has been a popular big game cartridge for better than a century. The .303 British is well over a century old. The 7x57 is about a buck-and-a-quarter old. The .270 Win is closing in on ithe century mark The .308 Win has to be close to 75 years old. The .45/70 is buck fifty. There have been hundreds of cartridges introduced since the intro of smokeless powder. Most didn't survive. They offered nothing above what existed. None of them killed big game deader than workhorses our forefathers used to kill everything in North America.

Our old and faithful workhorses will kill all North American big game just as dead as any mega magnum.

The only rifle that could separate me from my money would be a lightweight .308 Win carbine. I'd be good if I were to never find one. My Model 700 .270 Win kills North American big game at the highest degree of dead, and that's dead, which is the only degree of dead.

BTW, my opinion is Sako makes the best factory production rifles. A hunter could send many thousands more on a custom rifle or a big bucks German rifle, but neither will be superior to a Sako. The only caveat is I have no experience with Sakos manufactured after its famed Av action.

This'll rankle some feathers: the most overrated action to ever hit the big game hunting market is the Model 98. I've yet to see any Model 98 come close to the accuracy of my Model 700 and Sako AV rifles.

Back