testtest

SBR time again

Belt Fed

Hellcat
Went shootin, took the SBR out. got it sighted in and racked off about 50 to 60 rounds and then the sight started moving around. it would not hold zero. it did for a while. had to move it several times up or down. I have a few of these firefield dots on guns that have a lot more recoil and never a problem. i'm stuck with it as i bought this thing off amazon and put it on and then had to wait four months on the approval. so the 30 day return deal is gone, my fault. i should have went and tried it out but figured i wouldn't have no trouble from it as the others have been great. i was wrong. But on a good note, the gun worked like a champ and the brass goat did too. was shot at 25 yards

20230703_105350.jpg

20230703_105444.jpg

Went shootin, took the SBR out. got it sighted in and racked off about 50 to 60 rounds and then the sight started moving around. it would not hold zero. it did for a while. had to move it several times up or down. I have a few of these firefield dots on guns that have a lot more recoil and never a problem. i'm stuck with it as i bought this thing off amazon and put it on and then had to wait four months on the approval. so the 30 day return deal is gone, my fault. i should have went and tried it out but figured i wouldn't have no trouble from it as the others have been great. i was wrong. But on a good note, the gun worked like a champ and the brass goat did too. was shot at 25 yards

20230703_105350.jpg

20230703_105444.jpg
Do you own an Inch pound torque driver? Firefields website says that the RDS you have should be torqued between 45in lbs & 65in lbs. If you are under that the dot can shift and sway.

Sometimes the sight will shift from the rapid recoil if it's not torqued to spec and you may not even notice the tiny shift but it will be enough to lose zero. A tiny dab of blue locktite on the threads before torquing it can can help also.

Do you own an Inch pound torque driver? Firefields website says that the RDS you have should be torqued between 45in lbs & 65in lbs. If you are under that the dot can shift and sway.

Sometimes the sight will shift from the rapid recoil if it's not torqued to spec and you may not even notice the tiny shift but it will be enough to lose zero. A tiny dab of blue locktite on the threads before torquing it can can help also.

That's insane. Most RDS torque specs are 20-25. I have red dots on 12 gauges that are torqued to 22 inch lbs and have stayed put for thousands of rounds.

I didn't torque it but i did tighten it down really tight and use blue loctite. it don't move any. don't think i could have tightened anymore without stripping the screw.
You better use a hardened Torx driver to remove it. The little bits will snap. That is the exact recipe that got me drilling the screw out of a Romeo 5. It's also the exact recipe that made me no longer use LocTite on optics and buy a torque driver to torque them to proper specs.

Little sidebar ( pardon the slight hi-jack brother). I apparently didn't learn my lesson well enough. A few weeks back I was changing upper and lower control arms on my 2005 Dodge Ram and when I went to tighten the upper ball joint into the steering knuckle/spindle I just did it the way I always used to do it. Tight as I could get it Problem with that is modern spindles are cast aluminum. Cost me $200 to crack it, buy a new one and use a torque wrench.

It's definitely a high torque figure for such a small sight.
I wouldn't figure that little screw would even take that kind of torque without stripping. it's on solid i also put blue loctite on the mount that it goes on. there are four screws on that. i have a few of these same sights on other guns and never a problem. after i would get it in again it would shoot about 5 to 10 rounds before moving again. the sight has no slack or wobble. i checked it several times.

I wouldn't figure that little screw would even take that kind of torque without stripping. it's on solid i also put blue loctite on the mount that it goes on. there are four screws on that. i have a few of these same sights on other guns and never a problem. after i would get it in again it would shoot about 5 to 10 rounds before moving again. the sight has no slack or wobble. i checked it several times.
Just save yourself some trouble if you ever go to remove the sight. Don't use the bits in a universal driver. Get an actual decent set of Torx drivers and make sure it fits nice and snug. I'd hate to see you go through what I went through.

Back