testtest

Seating die issues

I have been reloading since the early 80s, and have not seen this issue arise until I began loading 223 and 6 ARC varmint bullets. Particularly the 6 ARC. I am using both the Hornady 6 Arc and the RCBS 6 ARC small base set. Both sizing dies are using their respective expander setups for the necks, so I would assume that they should be somewhat consistent in their neck expansion values.

Where my problem lies is when I start seating the bullets. The neck tensions feel normal (not excessive), but both sets of seating dies are making rings on the nose of the bullets (generally Hornady Vmax and ELDX) and actually indenting the area around he ring. From what I can see, it appears that the seating stem has a sharp edged chamfer where the nose of the bullet goes into the seater.

My question is if the edge of the hole were machined with s smooth roundover profile, would this prevent the ring and deformation of the bullet jacket. I know the jackets are lightweight varmint types, but I would think they should be a little stronger than what I am seeing. I did talk with a Hornady rep, and of course he started out telling me that I had my die set up incorrectly, and that I was trying to crimp the case mouth while I was seating the bullet. Not so. The die was lowered just enough to touch the case mouth, and then raised 1.5 turns so that there was no crimping.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I've seen the results when I reload also. The issue is the stem having a different depth/angle with different type/styles of bullets (example: edl-m, a-tips and/or rdf). Hornady has stems just for their a-tips. Not every type I load has these marks/rings on them. I do reload for 5.56 and 243win among 11 other rifle cartridges (not counting 44mag), but not 6arc. Not all of my seating dies are from the same mfg.

I find that my RCBS seater is not as bad, but does mark the bullet also. I am waiting for Mighty Armory to introduce their 6ARC seating die. Wayne's description sounds like it might solve the issue.

Back