testtest

Seeking info ref 1903A3 Sporter

HayesGreener

Hellcat
40 years ago I inherited a sporterized 1903A3. The gun was sporterized I beleive in the late 1940's or early 50's. The metalwork is flawless, deep mirror blue, the bore is perfect, and it has a very nicely done wood Monte Carlo stock. Unfortunately, the stock was cut off by someone and the stock is about 3-4 inches too short for me. (I have a 38" sleeve length). There is a Williams peep sight base but the aperture part is gone. Also there is no scope mount. I would like to re-stock this rifle and put a modern scope on it, but as far as I can see, stock options are limited. Any advice is appreciated.

Check out Boyd's gunstocks. I think about 150 bucks will get you setup.

Or you can go the route I did with this one. But it's a heck of a job, and I would never do it again from a rough uninletted blank.

20210702_190557.jpg

Last edited:
In the 50's rifles still in the packing grease from the factory cost under $20 when a new Remington bolt-gun would run $100 or more so sporteriztion of these rifles and 1911s became a cottage industry. You might start with an original 03A3 stock and then rework the front end. This place may have what you need: https://www.stockysstocks.com/springfield-1903-a3-military-walnut-replacement-stocks.html If you plan to put a scope on it then you'll need a turned down bolt like that on an A4. These folks Springfield 1903A4 Parts | Gun Parts Corp. sell originals and Northridge STOCK SETS (northridgeinc.com) offers a scant stock semi-pistol grip replacement stock. They say these were used on the M1903A4 sniper rifle after being modified for the low bolt handle, but they are not cheap. Midway and Brownells probably carry some of this stuff as well. I use to love these kind of projects, but be aware that you'll probably put more money into it than you can get out of it if you want to sell the finished product. Don't ask me how I know. :)

STOCK SETS (northridgeinc.com)

1903/A3, 1903/A4, And 1903 Rifle Scope Mounts | The Country Shed

Springfield 1903A4 Parts | Gun Parts Corp.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/springfield-1903-a3-military-walnut-replacement-stocks.html

Back