testtest

Self-Defense and "Taking the Law into Your Own Hands"

That is very true.

I disagree that Rittenhouse "injected" himself anywhere. He was helping clean graffiti off public buildings earlier that day (all on video), and as a trained EMT he was out that evening with his kit, as one of extremely few EMTs on site (and also a police trainee). If I recall from seeing the videos, he initially went to a car lot to try and tend to an injured person who had been shot, which is where he was first attacked, and fired his first shot before running.

Towards the police.

On the way, he tripped and fell, and was attacked (again) by the crowd.

Granted - no uniform. But, the kid was doing what he was training to do - trying to help people, in a bad situation. Yes, he was armed...and apparently, it's a good thing he was.

Once he got back up, he went directly to the police line where he surrendered himself and his weapon. Doesn't sound like someone "looking for trouble" to me. He broke the first rule of surviving a confrontation - "avoid the confrontation" - but since he's a trained EMT and was training to be a police officer...well...they're trained to run TO danger, unlike the rest of us. Should he have followed the buddy system? Yep. Should he be getting prosecuted for murder? No way.

And I'm fine going on record saying so. I know (and admire) entirely too many EMT's, trauma paramedics, police and fire personnel, to say anything bad about them, their chosen field, or the choices they are faced with every day. As far as I'm concerned, this kid (and he is a KID) was trying to do hero's work, and he got attacked for it. First responders have STONES...and this kid's got a monster pair of 'em. I hope he makes it through this, and can put them to good use, following through on his Responder training.

How is it a high school dropout becomes an EMT? How is it a high school dropout is a police trainee? I'm really curious about that. Was/is this some type of online training he received? What police departments hire high school dropouts?

Back