testtest

Self Defense and Your Vehicle: The Sheriff’s Take

Good article. I have had someone follow me from the ATM once. I stopped at a convenience store that had quite a few folks around, went in, talked to the clerk and made motions toward the car, etc. The car left in a few minutes. It pays to pay attention.

My truck draws a lot of attention and I’ve had people follow me just to ask where I got some of the accessories. I had one guy follow me to work, he ended up being harmless but I made a point to tell him he was on multiple security cameras. I’m constantly checking my mirrors while driving and had one guy in an old pickup who may have been following me so I took him on tour of Louisville, I think he finally got the message after going in multiple circles in a neighborhood. I had him on video since I now have 3 GoPro’s setup on the truck, one in the windshield facing forward and the other 2 facing back. They are Bluetooth connected to buttons on my right side center console.
I do have my outside mirrors setup to fold in when I put the transmission in park that I have to remember to override when I sit in the truck otherwise I lose the ability to see who could be coming up on me from the side.
Always vigilant on my surroundings.

Very good read, and I agree with his points.

No gun or NRA stickers on my vehicle; no “keep honking, I’m reloading” stickers, either. It's pure “grey man”. And I rarely come directly home from a gun shop...it's usually the first stop if I’m running out.

My neighbors probably know I have firearms, as they’ve seen me leaving in hunting clothes more than once...but that’s not uncommon around here. None of them, however, know...how large my firearms & munitions collection actually is. And none of them likely ever will.

Very good read, and I agree with his points.

No gun or NRA stickers on my vehicle; no “keep honking, I’m reloading” stickers, either. It's pure “grey man”. And I rarely come directly home from a gun shop...it's usually the first stop if I’m running out.

My neighbors probably know I have firearms, as they’ve seen me leaving in hunting clothes more than once...but that’s not uncommon around here. None of them, however, know...how large my firearms & munitions collection actually is. And none of them likely ever will.

This. In my state just about everyone hunts and is appropriately equipped.

No one ever bothers with me. I drive a '99 Jeep Cherokee XJ, all black, safari rack and tire on the top, 35x12 inch tires, lifted with fender flares, a deer catcher on the front with 4 spotlights. There was a day when I looked good, but felt bad. Now I look bad, but feel good. No one in their right mind bothers with me. If they're not in their right mind, well then, we might be able to have a conversation!

No one ever bothers with me. I drive a '99 Jeep Cherokee XJ, all black, safari rack and tire on the top, 35x12 inch tires, lifted with fender flares, a deer catcher on the front with 4 spotlights. There was a day when I looked good, but felt bad. Now I look bad, but feel good. No one in their right mind bothers with me. If they're not in their right mind, well then, we might be able to have a conversation!

I feel really sorry for anyone who follows me home. There's only one way in or out of this place and I have family on both ends and in the middle. And no one on this street plays around.

I fully agree with the advice about bumper stickers. My feelings about contacting your local prosecutor for information on the use of deadly force differ from those expressed in the article. I live in a deep red suburb of a bright blue city in a state where the penal code explicitly allows for the use of deadly force to protect property in certain situations. Despite the clearly written laws of the state, I would not be the least bit surprised if the city DA pursued charges against anyone who used deadly force to protect property without claiming that they feared for their safety or the safety of others. I also wouldn't want to be the guy on trial when the prosecution tells the jury, "Why would the defendant call this very office for advice on deadly force several months before the shooting, unless he was looking for a reason to shoot somebody?"

If you would like advice on the law, ask an attorney. If you want to know how local DA's feel about civilians using guns to protect their property, just take a look at the political climate. I feel confident that there are stark differences of opinion concerning gun rights between prosecutors in my county and their counterparts in the neighboring city.

Back