testtest

Self Defense Calibers: The Best and Worst Options

Folks still talking about the .40 S&W...
giphy.gif

Man...that guy is talking out of his nethers.

Too much bad information given to even begin to refute it all.

But I stopped reading at “.357 in barrels under 4” don’t give any improvement over .38”...pure uncastrated bovine feces.

During the Sandyhook ammo shortages, there was a real argument to 40 s&w, as a hedge against ammo shortages. As it was more available than other calibers at the time. Crazy how this shortage blew that argument out the water, as 40 s&w is just as rare as 9mm right now.

You can’t find BB’s right now, and I was just making jabs at the die hard .40 guys. Nothing personal. I used to have a slew of .40’s but I grew up and started toting a 10mm.............I’m kidding, not about the 10, though.

The article states that .327 Magnum and .32 ACP are more common self-defense calibers than .22 Magnum and .22 LR. I know that .22 LR is not an ideal self-defense caliber, but I would be surprised if more people are using .32 ACP and .327 Magnum combined than are using .22 LR. Maybe it's regional, but I don't know anyone who carries .327 or .32 ACP as their EDC.

I've always felt that .22 Mag was underrated as a self-defense caliber. I think the main limitation is just the small number of guns chambered in .22 Mag, compared to other popular calibers. I'd have no problem carrying my S&W 351C with 7-rounds of .22 Magnum for self defense.

During the Sandyhook ammo shortages, there was a real argument to 40 s&w, as a hedge against ammo shortages. As it was more available than other calibers at the time. Crazy how this shortage blew that argument out the water, as 40 s&w is just as rare as 9mm right now.

You are so right about that. It’s almost like the world has to find another ‘safe’ ammo that isn’t popular during shortages.

This shortage was different than the last and I bet the next one will be different still. .40 S&W was the safe one last time. Everybody and their mama bought one at that time. This time around those folks went and bought .357 sig barrels for their .40 guns then bought up the sig ammo.

I wonder what was considered to be safe this time. It surely wasn’t .380, 9 mm, .40, .357 sig, .38 special or 45 acp. The early safe bet might have been .357 sig.

The author has a very high opinion of himself and his expertise.
Cheaper Than Dirt obviously feels that their guns and ammo are worth 5-10 times as much as any other seller. I guess their writers feel the same way about their advice. Is "ego-gouging" a thing? I really think CTD has been gouging people for so long that they are now inventing new ways to do it.

The article states that .327 Magnum and .32 ACP are more common self-defense calibers than .22 Magnum and .22 LR. I know that .22 LR is not an ideal self-defense caliber, but I would be surprised if more people are using .32 ACP and .327 Magnum combined than are using .22 LR. Maybe it's regional, but I don't know anyone who carries .327 or .32 ACP as their EDC.

I've always felt that .22 Mag was underrated as a self-defense caliber. I think the main limitation is just the small number of guns chambered in .22 Mag, compared to other popular calibers. I'd have no problem carrying my S&W 351C with 7-rounds of .22 Magnum for self defense.

Agreed. I have believed for years that the .22 mag is vastly underrated and underutilized by both the military and law enforcement in a rifle or carbine configuration. Apparently, no one has figured out how to build a reliable semi or full automatic when coupled with the .22 mag. If a manufacturer could figure that out, the .22 mag would suddenly become much more important.

Agreed. I have believed for years that the .22 mag is vastly underrated and underutilized by both the military and law enforcement in a rifle or carbine configuration. Apparently, no one has figured out how to build a reliable semi or full automatic when coupled with the .22 mag. If a manufacturer could figure that out, the .22 mag would suddenly become much more important.
Oh, someone did...

The HK300.

One of my favorite range guns is my Rock Island XT22M. It's essentially a 1911 chambered in .22 Magnum, but with an open slide like a Beretta 92. It holds 14 rounds, and has been extremely reliable. I have no doubt that fourteen .22 Magnum rounds fired from a 5" barrel are more than sufficient for personal defense. The XT22M series (they now make a target model) are exceptional firearms, but they just haven't been able to gain much traction with buyers.

I own a Kel-Tec PMR 30, but have never fired the CMR 30 Carbine version. The pistol is reliable, if you load the magazines exactly how the manual advises. I have heard that the CMR is just as reliable. Both guns are fun, and 30-round mags in a pistol are awesome, but I think the plastic toy-like feel has prevented many shooters from taking them seriously. I keep hoping that one of the big name American manufacturers will step-up and create a high-quality .22 Mag Carbine, but none of them seem to be interested.

Lol, ok, no more CTD articles, I learned my lesson....😬😬😬😬
Nah, that’s silly 🙃... (but I suspect u were kidding anyway of course).

Serious note: It occurs to me that one thing we do here is a fair - if informal - approximation of what the scientific community calls “peer review” whereby ideas get professionally critiqued before they go mainstream. Great way to separate the wheat from the chaff... I’ll add that free flow of information is an important protection, like 2ndA is.

Good to see misinformation get debunked - don’t sweat it Anni !
:)

Last edited:
Mentioned, but mostly over looked in article?

.327 Federal Magnum fed guns and ammo are interesting. It's a great self defense round!
.327FM has very high velocity and penetration rate ranking with and sometimes exceeding .357M but w/o the recoil.
About 40% less recoil! For faster recovery times!

The ups and downs?
.327FM usually only available in revolvers.
.327FM revolvers can reliably hold 6, 7 or 8 cylinder rounds.
.327 FM has often been confused with .357Mag. in name and effects.
.327FM is similar to multi round .357Mag, using both .357M and .38 caliber's.
Most guns chambered in .327FM can also use .32ACP, .32 S&W Short & L, .32 H&R mag & .327 FM ammo.
Rifles like Henry using .327 FM won't reliably feed anything else, but will still fire the shorter rounds.
In ammo depressed times like these, the caliber variety helps.

Read lady in Alaska took out full sized bear with a .22 cal headshot.
Article showed lady bear and .22 cal perforated bear skull.
Am thinking you're right on.

Back