testtest

selling a handgun to another individual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in the state of Illinois we have had the FOID card since 1968. We have to have the card to buy firearms and ammo. If selling to another person we have to call in their FOID number and get a confirmation from ISP that the card is OK.

Having said that , I am wondering what one has to do to sell a firearm to another in your state without going through an FFL.
I write a bill of sale between me and the individual here in Alabama. Never sold a gun before expect to my father in law or a close friend.

I never sold any of the firearms I own to date. From what I was told at the local gun shop FFL here in Pa., an unlicensed person, such as myself, can sell a rifle or shotgun without requiring to do a background check. However pistols require an unlicensed person to do a transfer via a FFL, that would do the background check.

There are no restrictions where I live, but before I read the OP I hadn't really given the subject much thought since I haven't sold a gun in a long, long time. However, if I were to sell one today and I didn't know the buyer, I think I would make every effort I could to make sure the person I am selling to is legally allowed to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back