testtest

Selling & Trading Guns

No laws like that here. If I was dealing with someone I didn’t know I’d do it through a FFL though.
Here in Illinois we have the FOID card. To own or buy guns or ammo a person has to have a FOID card. On top of that , when selling a firearm to an individual , we have to call the ISP to confirm the persons FOID is valid. When you call they will issue you a con. # that you have to keep plus all the FOID info for 10 years .

When Illinois first started the FOID ( firearm owner I D ) card system , if you had a FOID you were golden but since the politicians don't want to admit the FOID card doesn't work they keep putting more hindrances on us.

If you do a little research , you will find the FOID card system , enacted in 1968 , was patterned after the same laws that Hitler put into effect in Germany.

Here in Illinois we have the FOID card. To own or buy guns or ammo a person has to have a FOID card. On top of that , when selling a firearm to an individual , we have to call the ISP to confirm the persons FOID is valid. When you call they will issue you a con. # that you have to keep plus all the FOID info for 10 years .

When Illinois first started the FOID ( firearm owner I D ) card system , if you had a FOID you were golden but since the politicians don't want to admit the FOID card doesn't work they keep putting more hindrances on us.

If you do a little research , you will find the FOID card system , enacted in 1968 , was patterned after the same laws that Hitler put into effect in Germany.
That's why I usually refer to our state as the people's republic of Illinois

Oh and in addition to the FOID card, long before the COVID craze, the illinois state police were underfunded. The ISP is in charge of all things FOID. For example, renewals are supposed to be processed in less than 30 days. Mine has never been less than 6 months. Now, with COVID at least, if you have a receipt for your application to renew, they give you an 18 month extension. A lot of folks won't accept that. So I'm legally allowed to own/possess but I'm having a hard time with purchases of ammo and firearms because my card expired dec 1 2020. I applied for renewal in September.
Some folks are suing for speedy renewals but that's been dragging on for months as well. It's a bad scene here, I don't think it's going to improve any time soon

Oh and in addition to the FOID card, long before the COVID craze, the illinois state police were underfunded. The ISP is in charge of all things FOID. For example, renewals are supposed to be processed in less than 30 days. Mine has never been less than 6 months. Now, with COVID at least, if you have a receipt for your application to renew, they give you an 18 month extension. A lot of folks won't accept that. So I'm legally allowed to own/possess but I'm having a hard time with purchases of ammo and firearms because my card expired dec 1 2020. I applied for renewal in September.
Some folks are suing for speedy renewals but that's been dragging on for months as well. It's a bad scene here, I don't think it's going to improve any time soon

Since the passage of our FCCL ( firearms concealed carry law ) in 2014 , there was a clause that extra money was to go to the FOID system as well as to the FCCL system from the fees imposed and it has been done. However , there is no protection for the funds being swept from the FCCL department and going to other uses.

There have been Millions of dollars swept from the firearm services division and given to other departments. Therefor we in Illinois are being denied our constitutional rights. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm sorry to have gotten off topic some but I felt this needed to be said.

Since the passage of our FCCL ( firearms concealed carry law ) in 2014 , there was a clause that extra money was to go to the FOID system as well as to the FCCL system from the fees imposed and it has been done. However , there is no protection for the funds being swept from the FCCL department and going to other uses.

There have been Millions of dollars swept from the firearm services division and given to other departments. Therefor we in Illinois are being denied our constitutional rights. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm sorry to have gotten off topic some but I felt this needed to be said.
In the end it will be death or taxes that will get you for sure!

Wow!!! If this doesn't sound like an 'infringement' on "keeping and bearing", I don't know what would sound like it. We must remember the word 'infringement' doesn't necessarily mean 'preventing'. It means any in way restricting or hampering whatever the action is. Guys, it's imperative we watch closely any effort from our elected leaders, and especially the incoming ones, to further infringe on our 2nd amendment rights. We must take every legal action to resist any attempts at so-called 'common sense' gun control legislation. The wording of the 2nd amendment is about as 'common sense' as it gets!

Another thing that has become readily apparent from the posts in this thread is the many different 'legalities' and 'technicalities' in the requirements to buy/sell personally owned firearms. Where I live, the basic requirement is that it is illegal to sell to anyone known or that you should have known to be a convicted felon, a known mentally deficient person, or a habitual drug abuser, or under the legal age of consent without a parent or guardian's permission. I don't have any issue with that.

In my mind the 2nd is arguably the most important of all the amendments (if there is an order of importance) to our constitution. If we don't do everything in our power to protect and defend it, we'll lose it bit by bit. And I'm awfully afraid guys, that if ever lost, we'll never again have it. Just look at how long it took to resolve and correct the infringement in the 'Heller' decision in DC.

Ever since 1934 we responsible and law-abiding gun owners have submitted to one after another little bits of "common sense" gun control legislation to where we are now. And in all the laws and regulations created and foisted on us over many years, not one has proven to be effective in preventing firearms from getting into the hands of criminals, crazies, and or druggies. Not one has been shown to be effective in preventing any crime with a firearm simply because until there is a gun crime, there is no gun crime statistic.

'Gun Control' claims are nothing more than a trojan horse in the worst sense. Our constitution guarantees out FREEDOM, it does not and cannot guarantee our SAFETY. Crime of any sort can rarely be prevented beforehand except by a fear of a severe enough punishment (deterrent) that it will in fact deter one from committing that crime. We don't have very many deterrents today severe enough to deter anyone with a mindset to commit the crime in the first place and now we're hearing about letting convicted criminals out by the thousands, de-funding the police, and making things harder for law enforcement in general.

Now don't mistake the previous paragraph to mean I'm OK with out of control LEO's, bad cops, etc. I'm not in the least. Cops are typically and should be held to a higher standard of conduct than the general public. LE is their chosen profession. It's mostly a thankless job they do, and they typically do it for all our benefit. They should be compensated accordingly, supported to the max when acting within the law, and shown the respect they deserve.

Sorry, didn't mean to get on my soapbox ............. but dammit I'm tired of seeing our freedoms restricted one by one/bit by bit, especially those freedoms directly expressed in the constitution, and reading some of these posts simply reminds me just how deeply our 2nd amendment rights have been infringed upon in various places.

In an earlier thread I said my only New Year's resolution was to never again make a new year's resolution, however after thinking a little more about it I realized I can and will make a serious effort to resist in every legal and ethical way any legislation called 'gun control'.

There are some MN counties that are doing the same thing with permits to purchase and carry permits...in fact, some counties are refusing to accept applications, because the county has a 30 day limit to DENY your carry permit; if, after 30 days, they have not sent you an approval or denial, your application becomes your legal carry permit until you get your permit or are denied.

When we purchase a firearm, the state has 3 days to approve or deny the sale. They have been dragging this out for days as well. The problem with this is, the dealer doesn't want to deliver without an approval. The lack of response is supposed to be looked at as "proceed" the dealer is reluctant to proceed for fear they will have to ask the state police to accompany and retrieve if the sale is ultimately denied. Oh yeah, they got us coming and going.

I was always told when you trade in a gun at a gun shop, the gun you traded in went into there books, then said gun was out of your name, and goes into the shops name now, at least in Ohio that’s how it works.
That is my understanding as well, the exception being if the dealer is adding to his/her personal collection. Although I don't know if an FFL holder is entitled to a personal collection. I think all transactions have to be entered into their "bound book"

I was always told when you trade in a gun at a gun shop, the gun you traded in went into there books, then said gun was out of your name, and goes into the shops name now, at least in Ohio that’s how it works.
When I lived in massachusetts I bought a rifle from an acquaintance and the law there was that you needed to go to the mass.gov online firearm portal to record the serial number of the firearm transferred from the seller's active LTC to buyers active LTC.

Its an easy process but Mass sucks none the less especially applying for an LTC which is a may issue state and each city has their own idea of what that means.

Yes...and no.

There is no “master list” of who has what guns; how it works is (in a nutshell)...when a gun is used in a crime, the police contact the manufacturer, who will tell them that the serial number was sold to a certain distributor, who sold it to a certain gun store, who sold it to you...at which point you get contacted, and you can tell them that you sold/traded it with X gun shop...they go to that gun shop, and so forth.

Oooops! Back in my msg post #11 I said I had bought only one gun in the past 20-30 yrs, that being my Hellcat about a yr ago. I totally forgot my purchase of my PF9 about 6-8 yrs ago when I first decided to carry. I still carry the KelTec on occasion, but more often than not it's the Hellcat. Sorry.

Yeah they may come to you asking what happened to the gun, but it's not your responsibility after you sell it. I have a couple of guns I bought from cops for cash. My advice is to do your due diligence though. Only sell or trade with people you know or else do it through a FFL. The only legal issue that could hang you up is if you sell to a felon and they can somehow prove you knew they were a felon. It's much easier not to get involved in that kind of a mess though.

My plan is to try to trade the guns to my usual ffl, or work out a trade with another local shop if they can get a Scout in stock. I know I will probably get less in trade than I would from a private sale, but I don't want to deal with any headaches. I worked my way through law school as a LEO and have seen these things get complicated.

It's not very difficult to avoid knowingly selling to a felon, but the risks for civil liability can be harder to negate. If the buyer manages to injure himself or someone else with the weapon, they may try to claim that you knowingly sold it in a defective state. There are also new concerns about selling to anyone with a history of mental health issues. It is fairly easy to avoid criminal liability, because the average person has no way to check another person's mental health history, but the bar for filing a civil suit in such instances is extremely low. Even if you win the civil suit, there will still be numerous costs and hassles that I would prefer to avoid.

Back