testtest

Set Condition One...or is it Zero

Hello, I'm new to this Forum, and wanted to post a question. I have an XD that I keep in my vehicle, its legal to do so in AZ. Would there be any ill effects to keep a round in the chamber for long periods of time? Doing so would have the pin cocked. Not sure if this could be considered Condition one or zero since there is no traditional "Safety" to switch on and off.

The firing pin/hammer is only partial cocked (just like a Glock) so the firing pin spring & hammer/sear won't fatigue.

Just don't forget its loaded, and out of reach of anyone that doesn't know there's a round in the chamber.

Last edited:
i can answer the 1 in the chamber...i have it that way, and no safety on my gun, and it's my appendix inside waistband as well, and it's a Hellcat.

just do a google search on the gun laws in AZ.
Yes, remaining current on the AZ law is wise. I was pulled over by the State Patrol a couple years ago. At the time I had my Sig P938 in my vehicle. Because its a single action, I only had the magazine in place. (Condition 3) When the officer asked if I had any firearms, I of course acknowledged yes. He temporarily took the gun. When he returned it, he recommended that I keep a round in the chamber because if for some reason I needed to use it in short order, I would not have to pull the slide back to chamber a round which would be one less step to deal with. Which is the basis of my original question as I wanted to keep my XD in this ready condition.

I would be more concerned about leaving an unsecured weapon in your vehicle knowing that auto break-ins are a thing
A very valid comment for sure. It's something that is always on my mind. I always lock my doors even if I am only going to be away for a minute, but that wouldn't stop someone from busting my window or something. In my current profession, I can't have on my person, so I have to consider the options, leave it at home where it wont do me any good if something happens or have it in my vehicle.

A very valid comment for sure. It's something that is always on my mind. I always lock my doors even if I am only going to be away for a minute, but that wouldn't stop someone from busting my window or something. In my current profession, I can't have on my person, so I have to consider the options, leave it at home where it wont do me any good if something happens or have it in my vehicle.
at your job, do you have to get "wanded" or walk thru a metal detector?

i have heard of many that carry on the job, they hide it well.

and for a tropper to tell you to keep 1 in the chamber tells you something. they know all too well what can go bad if you ain't at the ready to draw and fire instantly.

i am always at "0", cuz like i said, my (guns) that i have set up for carry, have NO safety's,

which is what i had said, in my first response to you.

keep up with your state's gun laws, as things always change.

i too would be very concerned with the heat out there, keeping your gun in a locked car, even if you have all the windows slightly opened.

there are "window vents" that i have on my cars, that allow me to keep the windows open to allow air circulation.

any garage (or you) can install them

many different styles as to in channel mount, or outside mount.

i have outside mount

(not this brand, if i recall i have AVS)

We have two different questions here.

Are we concerned with keeping a round in the chamber or are we concerned with keeping a round in the chamber in a hot car?

I wanted to address the issue of leaving an unsecured weapon in your vehicle on last time.

Car break-ins are a common occurrence.

Every single one of the name trainers has done an article about why you shouldn't leave an unsecured gun in your car.

I have read hundreds of posts on several forums by people identifying themselves as police officers who talked about the number of vehicle burglaries they've responded to in which the victim loses a gun.

If you're going to leave a gun in your car then you need to get good lock box for it.

If you're going to leave a gun in your car at work you need to know your company's policy To. The. Letter

You need to know if they reserve the right to search your vehicle on their property and if they do you need to have a plan for what you're going to do when they ask to search your car

As far as AZ heat in the summertime, yes it gets intense. I do put the windows down about 1/2 inch when I park for ventilation. I have had a firearm in the vehicle for several years and never had an instance, due to heat or anything else.

No "wand-ing" or Metal detectors.

Yes, I feel the need to find a vehicle gun lock of some sort for sure. I need to look into this post haste. I have seen a few varieties. Any recommendations? I am self-employed. My main customer has a no gun on premises policy for their employees, and I choose to follow their directives for myself, however I have known a few middle managers in their organization that secretly have a gun with them. The customer has multi locations, some of which are in sketchy locations and these employees would rather be safe at the cost of their job than nothing at all. My P938 would be a good IWB carry as its small enough for such a thing. My XD would be too large for that though.

As far as AZ heat in the summertime, yes it gets intense. I do put the windows down about 1/2 inch when I park for ventilation. I have had a firearm in the vehicle for several years and never had an instance, due to heat or anything else.

No "wand-ing" or Metal detectors.

Yes, I feel the need to find a vehicle gun lock of some sort for sure. I need to look into this post haste. I have seen a few varieties. Any recommendations? I am self-employed. My main customer has a no gun on premises policy for their employees, and I choose to follow their directives for myself, however I have known a few middle managers in their organization that secretly have a gun with them. The customer has multi locations, some of which are in sketchy locations and these employees would rather be safe at the cost of their job than nothing at all. My P938 would be a good IWB carry as its small enough for such a thing. My XD would be too large for that though.
you ever consider an ankle holster?

Wear one of these with a button down shirt. Leave the top few buttons undone. Infinitely faster than an ankle holster and invisible. I have a couple.

These need to fit tight.

I too have a ‘pistol shirt’ like that & does a great job hiding a full size handgun ( HK USP .40, Sig 229 .40, Browning BDM 9mm, etc for a size idea ) BUT plan on sweating more than normal wearing it. It’s what I wear to weddings & other formal type events when I peel my suit coat jacket. I leave a few short buttons undone that’re covered by my tie clipped tie. Allows quicker access but this way isnt a quick draw setup at all but does beat it being in a vehicle out of ur control & custody. Get ANY lockbox w/ a steel cable that you loop around your bottom seat frame when you leave ur piece/s behind. Tomorrow or sooner - think how mad you will be when, not if, it happens- plus it adds to the criminals having one more gun to do bad things with - not the sorta thing u want on ur conscience either.

Oh, & welcome from chilly western NY, Kaktus Jaque - only 21F w/ wind chill down to 11F. Wanna trade ??

I too have a ‘pistol shirt’ like that & does a great job hiding a full size handgun ( HK USP .40, Sig 229 .40, Browning BDM 9mm, etc for a size idea ) BUT plan on sweating more than normal wearing it. It’s what I wear to weddings & other formal type events when I peel my suit coat jacket. I leave a few short buttons undone that’re covered by my tie clipped tie. Allows quicker access but this way isnt a quick draw setup at all but does beat it being in a vehicle out of ur control & custody. Get ANY lockbox w/ a steel cable that you loop around your bottom seat frame when you leave ur piece/s behind. Tomorrow or sooner - think how mad you will be when, not if, it happens- plus it adds to the criminals having one more gun to do bad things with - not the sorta thing u want on ur conscience either.

Oh, & welcome from chilly western NY, Kaktus Jaque - only 21F w/ wind chill down to 11F. Wanna trade ??
lol, we are hitting low 80s now. I'll trade you in July!

Back