testtest

Shooting and Long Fingernails

tapehoser

Elite
Call me crazy, but I have found that when I let my fingernails get too long, it causes me to cut myself on the range. Just the fact that I'm gripping something so darn tight and that I have both hands engaged and touching each other, means that I have to keep my fingernails short. And not just short, but I even file the nail so that there are no sharp edges.

What are there little things you do to make shooting more comfortable for yourself?

Call me crazy, but I have found that when I let my fingernails get too long, it causes me to cut myself on the range. Just the fact that I'm gripping something so darn tight and that I have both hands engaged and touching each other, means that I have to keep my fingernails short. And not just short, but I even file the nail so that there are no sharp edges.

What are there little things you do to make shooting more comfortable for yourself?
i generally keep my left "pointy" finger nail a bit longer, so that i can pick my nose better. (the bit longer nail, allows for a deeper, digging effect)

1) i get a firm grip on any gun that i take to the range, be it a revolver that is shooting 357 mags, or any auto loader, i do not use a "death grip" to hold my guns. to me, that stresses the fingers, and in time, tires out the hands, and then allows for "limp wristing".

2) i button the top button of my shirt, to ensure that no hot spent shell casing goes inside my shirt and burns me.

3) i wear a baseball cap, and bring the cap's "bill" down to my safety glasses to ensure that a spent casing does not get under my hat, and under my glasses and burns me.

4) i make sure that before i leave the house to go to the range, i "use the bathroom", so that when i am standing at the port, i don't have to go then.

so cut yer finger nails, (keep one long for nose picking), and have at the range.

i generally keep my left "pointy" finger nail a bit longer, so that i can pick my nose better. (the bit longer nail, allows for a deeper, digging effect)

1) i get a firm grip on any gun that i take to the range, be it a revolver that is shooting 357 mags, or any auto loader, i do not use a "death grip" to hold my guns. to me, that stresses the fingers, and in time, tires out the hands, and then allows for "limp wristing".

2) i button the top button of my shirt, to ensure that no hot spent shell casing goes inside my shirt and burns me.

3) i wear a baseball cap, and bring the cap's "bill" down to my safety glasses to ensure that a spent casing does not get under my hat, and under my glasses and burns me.

4) i make sure that before i leave the house to go to the range, i "use the bathroom", so that when i am standing at the port, i don't have to go then.

so cut yer finger nails, (keep one long for nose picking), and have at the range.
F492A077-9461-4EB9-B241-B6CDB36A2ED4.gif

I find it to be more comfortable if I'm somewhat organized. I bring an ammo can with extra ear plugs, staple gun, extra staples and nails for hanging targets, more than enough paper targets, and a pen for marking and recording shot placement groups, also a spotting scope. I've seen people show up with all their gear in a paper sack and the sack is torn all to heck halfway through the first session because it's got to much heavy s**t in it! Then I also bring another ammo can to contain boxes of ammo, gun mags and to store spent casings when done collecting them. I also ware clothing that is somewhat loose fitting and isn't constricting. Especially when rifle shooting from a bench or the prone position. Pop and snacks help make things be a little more comfortable also. Especially if you're waiting for a cold range to check targets but the range is still hot due to others still firing.

Last edited:
Back