testtest

Shooting Gloves

I don't own "shooting" gloves, but I do wear gloves anytime the weather requires it. I hate dealing with velcro or zipper closures, so I wear the Mechanix FastFit gloves. They cost $15.99 on Amazon and have held up very well.

I try to train at least once a year while wearing any gloves that I plan to wear in my day-to-day life. The FastFit gloves are thin enough to allow full range of motion and fit into trigger guards. They are not dedicated "shooting" gloves, but they are good gloves that I can easily shoot while wearing.
Same gloves I wear. There’s just a tad too much material in the trigger finger which makes them less than ideal for pistols. I usually only wear gloves with ARs though because they get hot pretty fast.

I have found at the auto parts stores, they have 4 or 5 different thickness styles on the Mechanix brand. I like the thinner styles. Good dexterity, and good heat resistance. 3 packs are usually on sale quite a bit for a good price. Whats nice about that brand, is they come in so many different weights and styles, they come in something for each individual needs.

also, auto parts stores allow you the ability to see them all side by side and competing brands to see what feels best

I don't know what that is, but it kind of makes sense. I'll ask Google :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure that Google helped you find what it actually is, but the milder cases can really just be mild/moderate itching caused by pressure, without "welts" manifesting.

It could be that you're literally holding on to the gun so hard that you're giving yourself a bit of a skin reaction.

Not necessarily a bad thing, holding on to the gun that hard, as modern studies have correlated grip strength to marksmanship - but it may not be the most productive, in the context of routine practice.

When you look at gloves, I would start with a pair that doesn't constrict too tightly around the wrist (i.e. something that is *_NOT_* like the PIG FDT gloves, which typically fits very tight around the wrist), as if it's really a bit of pressure-urticaria, that tightness could cause later itching.

My only true allergy is to cat dander, but this spring, when I had a cast on my right arm (broke a very small bone in my wrist - the cast was ridiculous, but at least I didn't need surgery!), one of the iterations was a little too tight around my forearm, and with some end-of-day swelling, it raised a pretty good welt that was also just horribly itchy. :ROFLMAO: I looked at my dog and told him that I finally understood why he uses his teeth to itch.......

I don't know. I think it's hard to remove it without destroying it, just for a test.
Oh, well... maybe they'll open again the gun rentals at my range to test it with another one. They close them off because of COVID - they could not bleach clean the guns, between rentals, without leaving marks.

I don't know. I think it's hard to remove it without destroying it, just for a test.
Oh, well... maybe they'll open again the gun rentals at my range to test it with another one. They close them off because of COVID - they could not bleach clean the guns, between rentals, without leaving marks.

Try rubbing / Isopropyl alcohol to disinfect guns instead of bleach. Alcohol dries quicker than bleach too.

Skin irritants? Many things are petroleum based and can be an irritant, like many gun solvents and lubricants one of those may be your skin irritant? Same with silicone that has been used on firearms as a lubricant and is also known to be an irritant to some people. Can be hard saying and figuring out. Gloves can be a simple solution?

I wanted to update this thread with what I'd written of my winter gloves....

-----

I've only had the PIG FDT Cold Weather Gloves for a single season, so I cannot comment on wear/durability, but they are quite warm (according to my daughter -who is probably the better, between the two of us, to rate this, as she's on her second winter of these). They are water-resistant, but are not waterproof. While even heavy snowfall will not cause soak-through, if there's heavy rain, your fingers will eventually feel they bite. In terms of fit, there is a bit of extra fabric at my fingertips (versus the rest of their FDT lineup), but it's far from unacceptable and, at least in my hands, do not interfere with either the trigger or other controls on my XDms.

Liner wear (I use Outdoor Research liner gloves) is also possible, and also does not cause interference issues for me, at least at this early stage of wear.

Oh, the snot-wiper on these PIG Cold Weather Gloves - yeah....

1640665728067.png

It's really that good...... :LOL:

Here's my daughter with the Cold Weather Gloves - this was our last outing at the trash-infested public range, so please excuse the backdrop. And no, she didn't purposefully shoot the Lethal Weapon smiley face on our steel (so that you've got an idea of her size, that's a Tac Strike Quarter-Scale).

1640665832266.png

I still haven't had a chance to really test out the VIKTOS Cold Shot gloves in their proper context. However, today's windchills were decent, and at least in terms of outside-the-house chores, I wasn't fazed whatsoever. Subjectively, I feel that they're warmer and more dextrous than my Columbia ski gloves, which I've used for several winters for snowplowing and winter-play with our dog, and were previously perhaps my warmest pair.

Back