testtest

Shooting Rest?

Jfal

Professional
Looking to buy a shooting rest. Intend to use to zero my M1A, AR-15....was also hoping to find something to assist in zeroing pistols...although I might need a different rest/vise for that. Caldwell, Alpha, Foxtrot, Sinclair...any and all comments welcome...I am NOT a 1000 yard shooter...just looking to zero rifles better than bracing off of a wood block.

Here's a couple of decent options in two different price ranges.

Midway USA has these on sale pretty often.

I loke the caldwell and lead sled.
I keep a “bean bag” V notch rest in the car for the impromptu needs
I have the Caldwell brand of “bean bag” rest’s (front and rear bags) and although they work ok I found them difficult to use when I was trying to zero the scope on my M1A they were never at the correct height for follow up shots and required constant adjustment to get back on target.

I’ve always been impressed with the various “lead sleds” however I find I wouldn’t use them enough to justify the cost.

If I go the Caldwell route, the Lead Sled 3 is not an option, all of my long guns are box magazine fed, and that main frame bar for the 3 model prevents use of anything but a 5 or 10-round mag with most rifles...The DFT 2 is on my radar at this time...

Last edited:
Never used a anything other than sand bags to zero my weapons
I understand the practicality, but this route creates more complications than might readily be apparent. I can only shoot at a public range, and carrying 2-4 50lb sand bags up to 75 yards and making 4-5 trips from the truck to the shooting bay seems a tad inefficient (and tiring for a fat old fart). I also don't like the concept of that much sand bracing an oiled rifle with moving parts, held in a bag that WILL rip open bouncing around in my employer-owned F150 box. Although the versatility is obvious using sand bags.

Anyone ever had problems with their rifle (or pistol) mounting it too tightly, causing damage to the firearm from there being no "give" in the rest system? I see some vise-like options that clamp down tight...CTK in Wisconsin makes a rest with a vise option. Rather inexpensive, but without some amount of give, or slop, it seems the shock of firing from a tight fixed position might be hard on some rifles and stocks (and everything).

Yes, I know I am being way too anal...it is in my nature to logically think through al this crap to help make a better decision. Plus, I find the research a satisfying effort in and of itself...

I’ve always been impressed with the various “lead sleds” however I find I wouldn’t use them enough to justify the cost.
I totally get that Keystone...but thinking long-term, I rationalize that $200-$400 for a rest that can be used on almost every long gun over a lifetime, might be worth the initial investment. I'll have to re-zero each one at least every year if not more. Every new optic = reuse the rest. I know you can zero with a bag or foam block...my dogs would love those foam blocks by the way...Not sure why but I guarantee they (dogs) would think they look delicious.

I have the Caldwell brand of “bean bag” rest’s (front and rear bags) and although they work ok I found them difficult to use when I was trying to zero the scope on my M1A they were never at the correct height for follow up shots and required constant adjustment to get back on target.
Sure, I agree w that, but I cant keep a sled in the truck at all times. The bag sits in storage compartment and is a handy fill in.

I anchor my sled down to my shooting bench using a 2x4 and two C clamps. The whole point of using a bench rest when zeroing in a scope is each shot is made from the same point. Sandbags can move around and cause a change in the point of impact. Nowadays, at $2 a round or more a shaky rest can drive up the cost of sighting in. Now if I'm shooting at groundhogs, I do use a sandbag.

Just dont do this …

1650136865248.gif

I have one of these that works well for AR-type rifles.

This looks perfect Talyn, thank you. I was leaning toward the high-end stuff from Hyscore...this looks like it's worth a shot. There is surprising variability in the designs offered by different companies...you really gotta pay attention to details.

I've always used sand bags on the hood of my pickup, and I rifle shoot from a sand bag rest very often. I've used feed bags filled about 1/4 full of sand or pea gravel. Then roll up the feed bag and take a few tight wraps with duct tape, or you could just buy a sand bag, or bipod In my opinion. If you need a vice or sled or whatever. You need to practice on your marksmanship! "You" need to hold the rifle tight and solid! Not an accessory. Otherwise you will end up depending on the vice or sled all the time if you use it at the bench all the time and possibly develop bad habits. Zeroing a rifle should not be that difficult. A rest simply makes shooting from the prone position or from a bench more comfortable. Don't get me wrong. It definitely helps to stabilize the rifle, but it doesn't take much of a rest to do this. As long as it is not spongy or squishy like a coat or hooded sweatshirt. Also a sand bag naturally forms to any uneven surfaces. This is all just stirckly "my" opinion bud, and everyone has one. I'm sure vice's and sleds have there place somewhere, but not for simply sighting in a rifle. Hope this helps. Shoot fun, shoot safe and shoot strait!

Back