testtest

Shooting with a red dot on my new EDC...

Back in 2001 I swore off 9mm when our department finally allowed us to choose. Since then, it's been all .40's (at first, seemed to die out since) and now .45's (long time 1911 .45 fan since my 80's Army days, own a couple dozen now, lol)... Anyway today I finally bought my first 9mm EDC with that included red dot. Being old school Army we never used dots or even sights, it was all iron.

My Q. I know to use the iron sights you close a eye, did I read it correctly that when you use a red dot you keep both eyes open and when you pull the trigger, all other things considered, the round hits the red dot target?

Thanks for any info on this new tech for me.

I’m also new to the red dot arena, my Hellcat came with the WASP installed, I couldn’t get used to it after 30+ years of using fixed sites, took it off and now I decided to give it a try again so I put it back on, friend of mine is going to help, but I was told you do keep both eyes open to answer your question

....did I read it correctly that when you use a red dot you keep both eyes open and when you pull the trigger, all other things considered, the round hits the red dot target?

Correct.

Keep both eyes open, and focus on the TARGET instead. Allow the dot to float into your sight package - even when you "see" the dot come into the picture, continue to force your focus to the target.

"Threat/target focus" is what gains the system speed - and allows older eyes regain some lost ground ;) . Focusing on the target also will help mitigate (to a degree) any visually-induced aberrations in how the "dot" looks (i.e. if the shooter has astigmatism).

Depending on the level of precision/accuracy you need, yes, overall, "where you see the dot" should be about where the shot prints. However, there's some clarification that's needed there, too. Instead of doing what I usually do and boring you to death by writing a whole word-wall about it here 😅 :ROFLMAO: , I'll instead link out to Doc Spears' Surefire "Field Notes" video -

^ The more precise/accurate you need your shots to be -for example, those shots you take to zero the gun/ammo- the more carefully you'll need to align your eye to the sight/bore axis, and part of this necessarily involves insuring that the "dot" is as close to being visually centered within the sighting window itself.

I’ve always kept both eyes open no matter what I use, iron or optics. It’s all in how you train.
1641512696706.jpeg

Back