testtest

Short Barrel Ammo: Why You Need It in a Sub-Compact Handgun

Good article, but I don’t completely buy into it.

Look at the performance of, say, the 147gr 9mm HST, or Ranger-T on the Lucky Gunner tests...they perform better than most.

I guess that if you only have a short barreled pistol, then it makes sense...but if you have multiple pistols with both long & short barrels...it makes sense to find a load that works well in both.

YMMV.

From what I have researched, “short barrel ammo” or “compact handgun ammo” is a gimmick. See the video attached where Paul Harrell compares velocities/performance of .380 ACP ammo of Remington personal defense ammo vs. Remington “compact handgun” personal defense ammo. I do realize he didn’t compare all the different brands and configurations of “short barrel” or “compact handgun” ammo, and he didn’t use revolvers, but I haven’t found any other demonstrations to convince me otherwise.

From what I have researched, “short barrel ammo” or “compact handgun ammo” is a gimmick. See the video attached where Paul Harrell compares velocities/performance of .380 ACP ammo of Remington personal defense ammo vs. Remington “compact handgun” personal defense ammo. I do realize he didn’t compare all the different brands and configurations of “short barrel” or “compact handgun” ammo, and he didn’t use revolvers, but I haven’t found any other demonstrations to convince me otherwise.

Paul Harrell is a modern day legend!

I like Paul Harrell, but don't understand his love of "Remington green and white box" ammo. He must love cleaning his pistols.

I would disagree with the statement that short barrels NEED short barrel ammo, having carried a handgun for going on 30yrs, I have personally tested my own carry ammo from .22lr up to .44mag. With my background and living in a family that hunts year round I have had the opportunity to see many calibers used in the field.

What most shooters know is that shot placement is King, now i'm not saying some of these newer (last few years) loads might offer some good performance, but I prefer to stick to one style and weight across the board, subcompact up to fullsize.
I have seen excellent performance with Fed. 147gr Hst from my G-43 all the way up to the G-34, excellent expansion and penetration across the line, just my opinion, always test your own ammo in your guns if it is ever going to be used for defensive use.

When a writer demonstrates his biases as he does referencing "plastic fantastic" it really annoys me.
Annoys me to the point that I feel what ever else he has to say is most likely biased further. Leaving
me with little if anything of value to take away.

My 2¢

When a writer demonstrates his biases as he does referencing "plastic fantastic" it really annoys me.
Annoys me to the point that I feel what ever else he has to say is most likely biased further. Leaving
me with little if anything of value to take away.

My 2¢

I use the term all the time; it’s not a bias, it’s simply a description...I suppose I could say “polymer framed, double-stack, striker fired pistol”...but why, when plastic fantastic does that for me with a lot less typing.

Was thinking of this exact video when I saw this post. Thank you for posting.

Back