testtest

Short read

My son in the 8th grade has been reading "Chasing Lincoln's Killer" by James L. Swanson. Just over 200 pages and has been interesting! Anyone else have any good reads? Historical natured ones!
I've read all (perhaps I'm missing 1 or 2, but I do think I've read all), of Bill O'Reilly's "Killing" books. He's done "Killing Lincoln" "Killing Kennedy" "Killing the SS", Killing Reagan", Killing the Rising Sun", "Killing England", Killing Patton, and Killing Jesus". They are all historical books dealing with the subject from Start to Finish. Some of them have been republished for younger readers with different titles (making them easier to read), but deal with the same subjects as listed above. His "Legends & Lies" series is also good (I haven't read the books but have watched the series on Fox and History channels). I buy The Kindle versions and read them on my iPad mini using the Kindle app.
I'm also into true crime and Serial killers, and read books dealing on "Jack the Ripper", "Zodiac", and the "Black Dalia", cases by several different authors, that go over the history of the crimes and then offer their opinions (using some facts), on who might have done them.

I've read all (perhaps I'm missing 1 or 2, but I do think I've read all), of Bill O'Reilly's "Killing" books. He's done "Killing Lincoln" "Killing Kennedy" "Killing the SS", Killing Reagan", Killing the Rising Sun", "Killing England", Killing Patton, and Killing Jesus". They are all historical books dealing with the subject from Start to Finish. Some of them have been republished for younger readers with different titles (making them easier to read), but deal with the same subjects as listed above. His "Legends & Lies" series is also good (I haven't read the books but have watched the series on Fox and History channels). I buy The Kindle versions and read them on my iPad mini using the Kindle app.
I'm also into true crime and Serial killers, and read books dealing on "Jack the Ripper", "Zodiac", and the "Black Dalia", cases by several different authors, that go over the history of the crimes and then offer their opinions (using some facts), on who might have done them.
I'll have too look them up.

I grew up reading Soldier of Fortune magazine and I still have a stack of them. I also would get shotgun news which was more of a sales catalog.
If I was in school today, they'd lock me up. I had pics of guns in my locker. HK and Sig were competing fiercely for SOCOM contract. That's what led to HKs mark23 model O . Franchi Spas 12 was the sexiest firearm in existence and glock was just making it on the scene. Schumer was already demonizing it. Yeah, they wouldn't have asked, just locked me away.

Kids get suspended now for saying a pop tart is a gun.
During hunting season around here, we (the school) would have some of the upper classmen (driving age) would come to school still wearing their camo hunting clothes. They'd do a short, very early morning hunt and still make it to school on time. They dropped their firearms off at home prior to coming to school. It was always good to see good old fashioned America was still alive and well. :)

Save all your historical novels. And your (not your kids', but YOUR) history class textbooks. Buy any you can find.

Before all of it changes.

Seriously.

Compare YOUR history textbooks, to the ones your kids have today.
That's almost every book for every subject! Now all of theirs are downloaded too they laptops. My backpack weighed less than theirs and I had hardcopies! I told the school administration that they need a full time chiropractor for the students! So many kids and parents complaining about their kids back problems due too they can't use some kind of tote with wheels. 50# backpack and a 75# kid!

I did read a lot when I was in school till high school had sports after school then work. I did carry all my books home everyday but still didn't do my homework till I got back to school the next day.

The point of my post was, compare the CONTENT, not the format.

I guarantee you can pick any event in history. Any. Look it up in our books. Then, look up the same event in current materials.

It won't be the same event.

Like the news...history is not objective anymore. Facts are irrelevant. Everything is shaped to fit a narrative now, as opposed to simply stating what happened.

The point of my post was, compare the CONTENT, not the format.

I guarantee you can pick any event in history. Any. Look it up in our books. Then, look up the same event in current materials.

It won't be the same event.

Like the news...history is not objective anymore. Facts are irrelevant. Everything is shaped to fit a narrative now, as opposed to simply stating what happened.
My co worker shared this with me a couple years ago. His eldest daughter, top honors AP classes all that. Full scholarship to law school.
He's watching the longest day on memorial day, his daughter asked what it was about. She had no idea that America was involved in the second world war. He was astonished, and had to share the next time we saw each other. He couldn't believe how inadequate the education system was. How do you omit such a large piece of American history? In 12 years it was never covered. But they were taught that the civil war was all about slavery and nothing else. He was venting about a lot. But those things stuck in my mind.

Back