testtest

Short term impressions of the Sig P365 XL

Sld1959

Hellcat
So I have had the P365 XL for a couple weeks now. Have taken it to the range a couple times and carried it over last weekend around the homestead. Time to put down what so far are pretty favorable initial in impressions. In here I will occasionally make comparisons with my two favorite pistols which have been my mainstays for the past 30 odd years or so. And right off the bat when I make a statement about a "pistol" in no way does it mean anything to my views on "revolvers" they are two different weapons types in my eyes.

Ergonomics/"feel" - This for me is a very big area. If I pistol does not have that "FEEL" in MY hand, I simply am not interested in it, no matter how good it may be, example Glocks, great pistol, not interested. Stat and feel wise it is very similar to the Makarov, which is a good thing, it's a very compact carryall size. The weight distribution is different as the Sig feels slide heavy unloaded, until it changes when loaded when it feels about the same weight and well distributed. The Sig is smaller and lighter than the 1911 Commander, but that's good for concealment. Most controls are well placed and very functional. The exception being the mag release for right hand use. My thumb has trouble activating it, but that is my arthritic thumb, not the Sigs fault. My wife can activate it easily. So this was easily solved by setting it up for left hand use, for my wife who may decide on one of these as her first pistol, it's that good. I can easily activate it with my trigger finger when shooting right handed. Something I have done in the past on certain pistols. This also does not have that high center of gravity feel some other Sigs, and other modern pistols have.

CARRY - easy category. It disappears in behind the hip in a DeSantis Mini Slide just as easily as the Makarov, which I carried for summer, and better than the Commander which I carried in cooler weather.

SHOOTING - another easy category. This thing shoots, very well. It is as accurate as my old eyes can handle, very close to what the Makarov is, and that was easily the most accurate pistol, in my hands, I ever shot. It is snappy but so was the Makarov, being a blowback pistol. It's not as smooth and fast second shot as the Commander, but it's not lagging far behind either.

OVERALL Impression - This is one nice little pistol. I always considered the Commander, and CZ75 compacts, to be the penultimate pick for a "do it all" pistol, concealed carry, target, battle pistol, SHTF, you name it. And I will stand by that. However, this just may be a real contending candidate. So far it really is that good, I do not feel like I would give up much in any category with it comparing it to larger compact and service size pistols. Just my opinion. Maybe a couple rounds, but when you consider it carries half again as many rounds as my other two favorites, that does not concern me. When one considers how easy it will be to add optics and a light or laser, and how it is easier to operate with arthritis, no thumb safety, this really might be an excellant more modern choice for a do it all.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

20211201_123003.jpg

Last edited:
So I have had the P365 XL for a couple weeks now. Have taken it to the range a couple times and carried it over last weekend around the homestead. Time to put down what so far are pretty favorable initial in impressions. In here I will occasionally make comparisons with my two favorite pistols which have been my mainstays for the past 30 odd years or so. And right off the bat when I make a statement about a "pistol" in no way does it mean anything to my views on "revolvers" they are two different weapons types in my eyes.

Ergonomics/"feel" - This for me is a very big area. If I pistol does not have that "FEEL" in MY hand, I simply am not interested in it, no matter how good it may be, example Glocks, great pistol, not interested. Stat and feel wise it is very similar to the Makarov, which is a good thing, it's a very compact carryall size. The weight distribution is different as the Sig feels slide heavy unloaded, until it changes when loaded when it feels about the same weight and well distributed. The Sig is smaller and lighter than the 1911 Commander, but that's good for concealment. Most controls are well placed and very functional. The exception being the mag release for right hand use. My thumb has trouble activating it, but that is my arthritic thumb, not the Sigs fault. My wife can activate it easily. So this was easily solved by setting it up for left hand use, for my wife who may decide on one of these as her first pistol, it's that good. I can easily activate it with my trigger finger when shooting right handed. Something I have done in the past on certain pistols. This also does not have that high center of gravity feel some other Sigs, and other modern pistols have.

CARRY - easy category. It disappears in behind the hip in a DeSantis Mini Slide just as easily as the Makarov, which I carried for summer, and better than the Commander which I carried in cooler weather.

SHOOTING - another easy category. This thing shoots, very well. It is as accurate as my old eyes can handle, very close to what the Makarov is, and that was easily the most accurate pistol, in my hands, I ever shot. It is snappy but so was the Makarov, being a blowback pistol. It's not as smooth and fast second shot as the Commander, but it's not lagging far behind either.

OVERALL Impression - This is one nice little pistol. I always considered the Commander, and CZ75 compacts, to be the penultimate pick for a "do it all" pistol, concealed carry, target, battle pistol, SHTF, you name it. And I will stand by that. However, this just may be a real contending candidate. So far it really is that good, I do not feel like I would give up much in any category with it comparing it to larger compact and service size pistols. Just my opinion. Maybe a couple rounds, but when you consider it carries half again as many rounds as my other two favorites, that does not concern me. When one considers how easy it will be to add optics and a light or laser, and how it is easier to operate with arthritis, no thumb safety, this really might be an excellant more modern choice for a do it all.

View attachment 22645

Good review and good deal Sld,
I usually try to find work arounds and solutions when can too.
Hopefully on the wife's end, she becomes another shooting buddy. Likely no other better partner.

She shoots, is really rather good, with a revolver. She has been a dedicated revolver shooter up to this point. I don't mind that, just want her to also have , and learn pistols.

Good to hear! Is usually better to start off on revolvers for many people. Some things will carry over and some won't. But, am thinking she'll get the hang of pistols pretty quickly! Having her being comfortable with either is a good thing.

View attachment 22645
Well done on the review.

Back