testtest

Shotgun 101

BET7

Ronin
Founding Member
A brief history of shotguns and explanation of different shotgun ammo. I'm sure our very own @Bassbob can provide more, but I found it interesting nonetheless. (brought to us by Liberty safes no less):

A brief history of shotguns and explanation of different shotgun ammo. I'm sure our very own @Bassbob can provide more, but I found it interesting nonetheless. (brought to us by Liberty safes no less):

Good info brother. Thanks for posting. I can’t imagine getting hit by whatever they were putting through those 5’ “Fowling” guns in the 16th century. 😳

I know when I was younger and dumber we used to screw around with the reloaders, filling shells with little nuts or stacks of dimes. Some of that **** was pretty devastating. Obviously dangerous and not good for the shotguns, but back then we weren’t worried about it too much.

The article was pretty good for basics. What I didn't notice is much information on chokes which is another area that confuses new shotgun shooters.

Here are the six most common chokes in inverse order of constriction:

Full chokes taper to a tight constriction, resulting in a dense shot pattern that carries further than other size chokes. Full chokes are used for trap shooting and hunting wild turkey and high-flying waterfowl. Full chokes are also recommended when shooting buckshot.

Modified chokes are less constricting than full chokes. They’re used to hunt rabbits and other small game, distant-flushing quail and pheasant and low-flying waterfowl hunted over decoys from a blind.

Improved cylinder chokes are used when hunting close flushing game birds and low-flying ducks and other waterfowl. Improved cylinder chokes are also recommended when shooting Brenneke or other types of slugs.

Cylinder chokes are only 1/100th of an inch narrower than the shotgun barrel’s bore, and provide virtually no constriction.

Cylinder chokes are frequently found on shotguns used by the military and law enforcement agencies.

Skeet chokes offer the least constriction of all choke types. Producing a wide pattern at 25 yards, skeet chokes are specifically designed for shooting clay targets at close range. I have used a skeet choke when hunting quail in heavy brush to avoid ruining meat in that very fast and close quarters shooting.

Rifled Chokes are sometimes used with slugs when hunting with the theory the slug will spin and be more accurate. Opinions are varied as to results and some choke manufacturers warn against certain brands of slugs. Personally, I use a Hastings rifled barrel when hunting deer in Illinois.

Most clay shooters chose to use shotguns with two barrels, (usually over and under) with different chokes in each barrel so they can choose the choke based on distance. That said many trap shooters that have gotten really good will shoot nothing but full chokes because the hits are more solid and produce a more impressive display when the clay breaks, but that is sort of showing off their skills. They are often shooting a single barrel shotgun since they are not interested in multiple chokes and they are not shooting trap doubles. Skeet shooters need two shots so they generally have either a semi auto shotgun or an over/under choked skeet and skeet.

The article was pretty good for basics. What I didn't notice is much information on chokes which is another area that confuses new shotgun shooters.

Here are the six most common chokes in inverse order of constriction:

Full chokes taper to a tight constriction, resulting in a dense shot pattern that carries further than other size chokes. Full chokes are used for trap shooting and hunting wild turkey and high-flying waterfowl. Full chokes are also recommended when shooting buckshot.

Modified chokes are less constricting than full chokes. They’re used to hunt rabbits and other small game, distant-flushing quail and pheasant and low-flying waterfowl hunted over decoys from a blind.

Improved cylinder chokes are used when hunting close flushing game birds and low-flying ducks and other waterfowl. Improved cylinder chokes are also recommended when shooting Brenneke or other types of slugs.

Cylinder chokes are only 1/100th of an inch narrower than the shotgun barrel’s bore, and provide virtually no constriction.

Cylinder chokes are frequently found on shotguns used by the military and law enforcement agencies.

Skeet chokes offer the least constriction of all choke types. Producing a wide pattern at 25 yards, skeet chokes are specifically designed for shooting clay targets at close range. I have used a skeet choke when hunting quail in heavy brush to avoid ruining meat in that very fast and close quarters shooting.

Rifled Chokes are sometimes used with slugs when hunting with the theory the slug will spin and be more accurate. Opinions are varied as to results and some choke manufacturers warn against certain brands of slugs. Personally, I use a Hastings rifled barrel when hunting deer in Illinois.

Most clay shooters chose to use shotguns with two barrels, (usually over and under) with different chokes in each barrel so they can choose the choke based on distance. That said many trap shooters that have gotten really good will shoot nothing but full chokes because the hits are more solid and produce a more impressive display when the clay breaks, but that is sort of showing off their skills. They are often shooting a single barrel shotgun since they are not interested in multiple chokes and they are not shooting trap doubles. Skeet shooters need two shots so they generally have either a semi auto shotgun or an over/under choked skeet and skeet.
Great stuff Chance, thanks for adding. (y)

Thanks for linking the article, BET7. And, thanks for the additional information Chance and BassBob. I have a shotgun now that has a screw in choke, but have not shot it much at all. I was wondering which choke would be best for specific applications (thanks Chance) and I was not aware that shooting with no choke would ruin the barrel. Historically, I was fortunate to own one shotgun and I just used it for everything (didn't have screw in chokes). I wish I had better spent my youth! :) Of course, I didn't have enough money to afford more than one shotgun anyway. :(

Thanks for linking the article, BET7. And, thanks for the additional information Chance and BassBob. I have a shotgun now that has a screw in choke, but have not shot it much at all. I was wondering which choke would be best for specific applications (thanks Chance) and I was not aware that shooting with no choke would ruin the barrel. Historically, I was fortunate to own one shotgun and I just used it for everything (didn't have screw in chokes).

Back in the day all my shotguns were the double barrel, quail gun variety. One barrel IC and one modified. No screw in chokes.

Thanks for linking the article, BET7. And, thanks for the additional information Chance and BassBob. I have a shotgun now that has a screw in choke, but have not shot it much at all. I was wondering which choke would be best for specific applications (thanks Chance) and I was not aware that shooting with no choke would ruin the barrel. Historically, I was fortunate to own one shotgun and I just used it for everything (didn't have screw in chokes). I wish I had better spent my youth! :) Of course, I didn't have enough money to afford more than one shotgun anyway. :(
My pleasure on posting @somorris. I too am fairly new to shotguns ( I own 5 (Mossbergs 590 Mariner, 590M Shockwave, Remingtons 870 Tactical (w/my modifications), 870DM Tac 14 & a Stoeger M3500 semi auto)). I thanked Chance for his Choke descriptions, and want to thank Bob (@Bassbob), for his tip on not shooting without a choke with a barrel that has threads for them, (and thus damaging the threads). Something I also didn't know, so thanks Bob (y)

My pleasure on posting @somorris. I too am fairly new to shotguns ( I own 5 (Mossbergs 590 Mariner, 590M Shockwave, Remingtons 870 Tactical (w/my modifications), 870DM Tac 14 & a Stoeger M3500 semi auto)). I thanked Chance for his Choke descriptions, and want to thank Bob (@Bassbob), for his tip on not shooting without a choke with a barrel that has threads for them, (and thus damaging the threads). Something I also didn't know, so thanks Bob (y)

How do you like that Tac-14 ?

How do you like that Tac-14 ?
I like it Bob. I just put a Crimson Trace green laser sidesaddle laser on it for aiming from the hip (I also have one on the Mossberg Shockwave). The Mossberg magazines have more options for capacity than the Tac14, which only has 3 or 6 rounders available. (Mossberg has 5,10,15 and 20). I was thinking about get the Tac13 Semi Auto, but I think I'll wait until I see what direction the new company will go with the brand.

I like it Bob. I just put a Crimson Trace green laser sidesaddle laser on it for aiming from the hip (I also have one on the Mossberg Shockwave). The Mossberg magazines have more options for capacity than the Tac14, which only has 3 or 6 rounders available. (Mossberg has 5,10,15 and 20). I was thinking about get the Tac13 Semi Auto, but I think I'll wait until I see what direction the new company will go with the brand.

Shockingly enough I am strongly considering another shotgun and I'm looking in that direction.

Back