testtest

Shotguns Vs. Rifles for Bear Defense: Which is Best?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
When pitting shotguns against rifles and their efficacy in ending a violent bear encounter, it is important to understand the dramatic anatomical differences between the two species. The black bear’s musculature and skeletal structures (particularly their skull) are much less formidable than those of a brown bear (insert Grizzly = same species). . Because of these anatomical differences, the “shotgun versus rifle” debate will focus primarily on brown bear.

1707003796742.png

Kodiaks are the same species as the Coastal Brown and the inland grizzly, both in Alaska and the lower 48 Rockies were they exist.

Everything in the article would work for Polar bears but since they occupy open terrain a rifle proves better range.

I would go with a rifle myself. However If you chose a shotgun and you have a smiths non rifles bore stay away from foster type slugs like Remington Slugger and Winchester X etc. as they WILL NOT penetrate enough. (I have seen a OIS after action a Remington slugger while deadly usually won’t penetrate a human torso with a strait in shot to the cheats. It was a silver dollar size on the tee shirt in the. Back)

A solid like Brenike or similar would be the round.

Rifles shotgun barrel a lot better choices

Blackie only bear around any place I am likely to woods wander these days. Shotgun with slugs first, same with any bigger bear if i was where they are. .375 or greater in a rifle. Express sights no glass.

I would of liked to also see their recommendation for Polar Bear and Kodiak Bears❗
Marlin 45-70 because I'm way faster on follow up shots with a level over a bolt. If I'm not hunting but defending then my choice is a Remington V-3 TAC 13 loaded with Brenneke Black Magic slugs. Both guns are backed by a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum

My Polar Bear was taken in 1971, was dyed black and displayed by the Jumer Hotel Chain and now sits in a Peoria, Illinois coffee shop. My Kodiac (1980) used to be on display in Springfield, Illinois and is now in a museum.

There have been a number of black bears, the first one taken with a military surplus 1911 in .45ACP (something I will never willingly repeat) and the rest with a (original) Ruger .44 magnum carbine which is more that sufficient for the job.

I hope this helps.

Marlin 45-70 because I'm way faster on follow up shots with a level over a bolt. If I'm not hunting but defending then my choice is a Remington V-3 TAC 13 loaded with Brenneke Black Magic slugs. Both guns are backed by a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum

My Polar Bear was taken in 1971, was dyed black and displayed by the Jumer Hotel Chain and now sits in a Peoria, Illinois coffee shop. My Kodiac (1980) used to be on display in Springfield, Illinois and is now in a museum.

There have been a number of black bears, the first one taken with a military surplus 1911 in .45ACP (something I will never willingly repeat) and the rest with a (original) Ruger .44 magnum carbine which is more that sufficient for the job.

I hope this helps.
I’ll ask:
Was there a specific reason you shot those bears ?
Livestock issues? Etc .. or kill for a hotel ??

I’ll ask:
Was there a specific reason you shot those bears ?
Livestock issues? Etc .. or kill for a hotel ??

I'm not interested in a hunting ethics discussion. I liked the challenge of hunting animals that could hunt back and at least had some chance of getting me before I got them. Times are also different in these beta male woke times than they were in the last century. I'm the product of the USA of the last century with very different views than those we have forced on us today.

I'm not interested in a hunting ethics discussion. I liked the challenge of hunting animals that could hunt back and at least had some chance of getting me before I got them. Times are also different in these beta male woke times than they were in the last century. I'm the product of the USA of the last century with very different views than those we have forced on us today.
Well, i dont care either way, but that sure was an hunting ethics answer

Back