testtest

Should AR Owners Love the Hellion (or Hate It)?

When one showed up at a local LGS I checked it out but it wasn't going to work for me for various reasons, but it may work for others.

Besides I have the best bullpup already. Perfect simplicity

steyr-arms-augm1blknatoext.jpg

My .02(y)

Last edited:
When one showed up at a local LGS I checked it out but it wasn't going to work for me for various reasons, but it may work for others.

Besides I have the best bullpup already. Perfect simplicity

steyr-arms-augm1blknatoext.jpg

My .02(y)
The Aug is nice but it's a mostly dated design. You get a lot more features for the money with the Hellion including but not limited to, fully ambidextrous controls and ejection port, better factory trigger, replaceable hand grip with AR style grips, adjustable gas block for shooting suppressed, etc...etc...etc...

Aside from the 80's movie nostalgia I'm not sure what the Aug offers that the Hellion hasn't improved on.

Never owned or even looked at a hellion, i do have an old school Aug, it may be nostalgic but it's not my choice for a full time carry rifle. i do understand the newer ones have improved from mine. for one big thing with mine is the optic that can't be removed. if it breaks you are screwed. Plus mine only uses Styer mags, will not work with the new mags.

Trigger on mine is pretty lousy at best and the cross safety is hard to push and really noisy. The internals are about all plastic. the Aug is a better looking rifle over the hellion to me. but only in looks. i don't know about the function ability of the hellion or newer aug.

SANY2736.JPG_thumb.png

The Aug is nice but it's a mostly dated design. You get a lot more features for the money with the Hellion including but not limited to, fully ambidextrous controls and ejection port, better factory trigger, replaceable hand grip with AR style grips, adjustable gas block for shooting suppressed, etc...etc...etc...

Aside from the 80's movie nostalgia I'm not sure what the Aug offers that the Hellion hasn't improved on.
I won't get into a p---ing match with those that like the Hellion.

Saying the AUG is dated is nit-picking. The M-16/AR-15 design has been in service since 1964 but everyone seems to be either adopting/modifying it to one degree or another.

I'll just point out to those not familiar with the AUG that it has an adjustable gas system, the mag release is ambi, the charging handle is more easily accessible and also serves as a secondary bolt release (HK slap), a dual port ejection is there with the appropriate stock & bolt change, and the barrel system is quick detachable. Lastly, the trigger on the AUG can be improved with trigger pack mods which I've done.

And the AUG can be broke down into a shorter package for transport, and for maintenance faster/easier IMO.

OAL between the two is a moot point since my AUGs (both 20"barrels) are only 1.25/2.75" longer, but I'll take the extra performance with the 20" barrel for my conditions over the Hellion 16".

For me...

Stock adjustability is a moot point to me for a bullpup since a short LOP is better for when wearing gear, or hunkering up. The 1.5" adjustability with the Hellion really isn't that much compared to a AR collapsible so IMO it's almost not worth having.

Changing grips is a moot point also since the AUG angle is right for the platform.

With the Hellion, I felt the flip-up BUIS were awkward in relation to the high cheek weld, the ergos with the safety location were undesirable for me as well as the bolt release, and the charging handle location wasn't as good as the AUG.

When I say the AUG is simpler it is, and its worked for many decades for many more countries in mil-use.

If I was getting another bullpup I'd go with a MDT MDRX.

I won't say I hate the Hellion I just found it didn't work for me at various levels.

Too each his/her/its own for what works for you.

Last edited:

Saying the AUG is dated is nit-picking. The M-16/AR-15 design has been in service since 1964 but everyone seems to be either adopting/modifying it to one degree or another.

I'll just point out to those not familiar with the AUG that it has an adjustable gas system, the mag release is ambi, the charging handle is more easily accessible and also serves as a secondary bolt release (HK slap), a dual port ejection is there with the appropriate stock & bolt change, and the barrel system is quick detachable. Lastly, the trigger on the AUG can be improved with trigger pack mods which I've done.

And the AUG can be broke down into a shorter package for transport, and for maintenance faster/easier IMO.

OAL between the two is a moot point since my AUGs (both 20"barrels) are only 1.25/2.75" longer, but I'll take the extra performance with the 20" barrel for my conditions over the Hellion 16".

For me...

Stock adjustability is a moot point to me for a bullpup since a short LOP is better for when wearing gear, or hunkering up. The 1.5" adjustability with the Hellion really isn't that much compared to a AR collapsible so IMO it's almost not worth having.

Changing grips is a moot point also since the AUG angle is right for the platform.

With the Hellion, I felt the flip-up BUIS were awkward in relation to the high cheek weld, the ergos with the safety location were undesirable for me as well as the bolt release, and the charging handle location wasn't as good as the AUG.

When I say the AUG is simpler it is, and its worked for many decades for many more countries in mil-use.

I won't say I hate the Hellion I just found it didn't work for me at various levels.

I had a long screed typed out, went away, and found that this just said it better than I could.

So, ditto.

For me...

I was not trying to start a p*****g match over which is better and I did not say the AUG is dated. Also I'd hardly call a respectful disagreement a p*****g match.

I said that the Hellion has improved on the AUG's bullpup design by including out of the box all the features you mentioned the AUG is capable of as long as you're will to dish out more cash for them, including the gas plug to shoot suppressed, the needed trigger upgrades, and complete stock replacement to take advantage of full ambi ability.

I particularly like the AUG, but I also know it's not perfect like all bullpup rifles.

Fortunately we live in America and at the moment we have the freedom of options in firearms selection to suit our wants and needs.

Last edited:
Talyn said:
I won't get into a p---ing match with those that like the Hellion. And I'd hardly call a respectable disagreement a p*****g match.
Understand & the sentence was just making a general statement.

One thing I just noticed is some how my original reply was edited.

My original reply had this first sentence. "I won't get into a p---ing match with those that like the Hellion".

Then in the reply box above it turned into...I won't get into a p---ing match with those that like the Hellion. And I'd hardly call a respectable disagreement a p*****g match.

????

BTW, the adjustable gas system is standard on the AUG.

The Hellion & AUG are seperate stand-alone bullpup designs just like Tavors, etc.

Understand & the sentence was just making a general statement.

One thing I just noticed is some how my original reply was edited.

My original reply had this first sentence. "I won't get into a p---ing match with those that like the Hellion".

Then in the reply box above it turned into...I won't get into a p---ing match with those that like the Hellion. And I'd hardly call a respectable disagreement a p*****g match.

????

BTW, the adjustable gas system is standard on the AUG.

The Hellion & AUG are seperate stand-alone bullpup designs just like Tavors, etc.
Sorry about the editing I accidentally typed into the wrong box when I was editing my message. I will correct that now.

I was not trying to start a p*****g match over which is better and I did not say the AUG is dated. Also I'd hardly call a respectful disagreement a p*****g match.

I said that the Hellion has improved on the AUG's bullpup design by including out of the box all the features you mentioned the AUG is capable of as long as you're will to dish out more cash for them, including the gas plug to shoot suppressed, the needed trigger upgrades, and complete stock replacement to take advantage of full ambi ability.

I particularly like the AUG, but I also know it's not perfect like all bullpup rifles.

Fortunately we live in America and at the moment we have the freedom of options in firearms selection to suit our wants and needs.
E8C0FF98-4D1F-4235-B982-FF4ED5FB9508.gif

A N Y W A Y ... back to the title subject. The Hellion is a fine rifle, I love shooting mine. And yes, as the article says, it's ergonomics are different than an AR-15. It takes some different muscle memory but that's called "practice", as you should with any new style gun you choose to own/use.

BUT ... I don't think the AR community should love it or hate it. Just enjoy it and practice with it if you choose to own one.

I will say the first time I held a Hellion I thought this won't work for me, the trigger is too far for me to reach ... obviously before I realized the stock was adjustable. Now mine fits like a dream and is a blast to shoot, love it. And yes, all you Aug owners keep on loving yours too lol!

Last edited:
1675139278922.png

I'm fine with a Kel Tec RDB... I paid $650 for one during the Trump Slump era, but now I think they're going for $1k. These are just gimmick for fun and cool factor rifles for me. For self defense or the SHTF rifle, I'm grabbing a tried and true AR15... If I were to buy another one, it would be the Hellion. The AUG is worth it for a collection peice that might go up in value, but it's not worth the price for what it is IMHO.

To answer the question, I don't see why any gun guy would have any reason to hate the Hellion or the AUG... I'd happy would own them all if they were given to me. The Hellion is the best looking out of the three IMHO, so if the price were equal, I'd choose a Hellion based off of that reason alone.

Folks should note that the MSRP for the Hellion and Steyr AUG A3 M1 are very close to each other, $1,999 and $2,199 (respectively), so it is a misconception that the AUG is an uber expensive collectors piece.

MSRP is the only "relative" way to compare the prices of the two since street prices are highly variable.

Last edited:
Folks should note that the MSRP for the Hellion and Steyr AUG A3 M1 are very close to each other, $1,999 and $2,199 (respectively), so it is a misconception that the AUG is an uber expensive collectors piece.

MSRP is the only "relative" way to compare the prices of the two since street prices are highly variable.
Aug and Hellion have been on sale recently for $1700

Back