testtest

Should AR Owners Love the Hellion (or Hate It)?

They are both excellent bullpups for differing reasons. I shoot them both side x side.
Its like having a blonde and a brunette. Each one has its features 🙂

My hellion is now tricked out suppressed(nfa), but I dont have a pic of the 2 sidexside

View attachment 35911
I always enjoyed having a blond and brunette together at the same time, always more fun……..

Oh wait……..

Sorry wrong forum……

I’ll move along……..

To each their own, I just don't enjoy bullpups. I auditioned Tavors and it just wasn't for me when I can have a variety of reliable ARs.
The thing is you can't have an AR with a full sized barrel and rifle ballistics in a short compact package that can be shouldered especially now that pistol braces are off the table. I reckon you can get a SBR and deal with the velocity, performance, and distance flaws, but even then you have to deal with ATF permission slips and Federal and state regulations on what you're allowed to do with your own property.

The two aren't comparable in that respect, and that's the main problem bullpups we're invented to successful solve.

muPkXDT.jpg

Here is a crappy picture of my Keltec KSG next to my Mossberg Shockwave just for example. The 18.5" barrel KSG is shorter than the 14.5" barrel Shockwave but can be shouldered.

T1e67DN.jpg

Here's a comparison picture of a full 16" barrel Keltec RDB that's shorter than a 10.5" Palmetto build and about the same size as my 8" SBR build. All three can fit in a standard size duffle bag, but the brace is no longer legal and the SBR has a bunch of red tape attached and worse ballistics.

Last edited:
The thing is you can't have an AR with a full sized barrel and rifle ballistics in a short compact package that can be shouldered especially now that pistol braces are off the table. I reckon you can get a SBR and deal with the velocity, performance, and distance flaws, but even then you have to deal with ATF permission slips and Federal and state regulations on what you're allowed to do with your own property.

The two aren't comparable in that respect, and that's the main problem bullpups we're invented to successful solve.

muPkXDT.jpg

Here is a crappy picture of my Keltec KSG next to my Mossberg Shockwave just for example. The 18.5" barrel KSG is shorter than the 14.5" barrel Shockwave but can be shouldered.

T1e67DN.jpg

Here's a comparison picture of a full 16" barrel Keltec RDB that's shorter than a 10.5" Palmetto build and about the same size as my 8" SBR build. All three can fit in a standard size duffle bag, but the brace is no longer legal and the SBR has a bunch of red tape attached and worse ballistics.
The bullpup is the perfect example of the absurdity go SBR rules, if concealability is really the argument then bullpups wouldn't be legal. Reality is that for now they're just forgotten about by the feds.

The bullpup is the perfect example of the absurdity go SBR rules, if concealability is really the argument then bullpups wouldn't be legal. Reality is that for now they're just forgotten about by the feds.
It is legal per the text if the law, but the text of the law no longer matters when unelected bureaucrats can just make up a reason to support the preconceived outcome they want.

Bullpups and the Shockwave will be next. One low hanging peice of fruit at a time.

No secret, I’m a parts Boy Scout. $1700 Will get you a very nice AR, extra BCG and all the spare parts you need for when the zombies arrive.
ARs are a dime a dozen. It's nice to have some variety in life and something different. I can't say that I or any friends I go to the range with would be excited shooting yet another AR15 or Glock. Plus, as I pointed out earlier, a bullpup has some cool factor, and they're basically SBRs with full rifle ballistics.

Most of the time ARs lose value as soon as they are rolled off the lot and are no longer new. Imported rifles usually appreciate in value over time especially in the current climate where anything firearm related can be banned, sanctioned, or taxed more at a drop of a pin's notice.

With that said, I understand why some would find the Hellion and AUG useful, but for me personally, $1700+ tax, shipping, and FFL fees is asking to much for a 2.23/5.56 rifle irregardless of if it's a beautique AR15 or an imported bullpup. That's kind of why I just went with a $700 RDB to get my fix and experience.

Last edited:
ARs are a dime a dozen. It's nice to have some variety in life and something different. I can't say that I or any friends I go to the range with would be excited shooting yet another AR15 or Glock. Plus, as I pointed out earlier, a bullpup has some cool factor, and they're basically SBRs with full rifle ballistics.

Most of the time ARs lose value as soon as they are rolled off the lot and are no longer new. Imported rifles usually appreciate in value over time especially in the current climate where anything firearm related can be banned, sanctioned, or taxed more at a drop of a pin's notice.

With that said, I understand why some would find the Hellion and AUG useful, but for me personally, $1700+ tax, shipping, and FFL fees is asking to much for a 2.23/5.56 rifle irregardless of if it's a beautique AR15 or an imported bullpup. That's kind of why I just went with a $700 RDB to get my fix and experience.
Good points and I get the shiny new tool. Speaking to the overall question Do I love them? No. Do I hate them? No. I’m indifferent at best. I do however like my AR’s. My mind and muscles know where everything thing is and when things wear I like the availability of parts.
The imports have their appeal. The 300 Norincos certainly paid off.
😎
I’ll add there are some valuable ar variants out there.
See some of the early Colt sporter models.

The law is the law. Manufacturers found a way to comply. There's no going back now. They said 16" barrel or 18" shotgun barrel. That's the law.

By the way, the only bullpups that do anything for me are shotguns.

Back