testtest

Should Concealed Carry Rookies Appendix Carry

I am a relatively new concealed carrier, although I have been shooting for 40 years. I have holstered for years while out shooting. Once I was heading to get my concealed, I started practicing appendix carry from the first thought. I have drawn hundreds upon hundreds of times in practice prior to obtaining my LTC with trigger cocked/no ammo in the pistol, and not once have I ever accidentally "triggered" the trigger. And when reholstering, the most dangerous part, why do people act like they are in a speed contest? This part should be the most cautious, methodical process. Practice makes perfect in this case.

I am a relatively new concealed carrier, although I have been shooting for 40 years. I have holstered for years while out shooting. Once I was heading to get my concealed, I started practicing appendix carry from the first thought. I have drawn hundreds upon hundreds of times in practice prior to obtaining my LTC with trigger cocked/no ammo in the pistol, and not once have I ever accidentally "triggered" the trigger. And when reholstering, the most dangerous part, why do people act like they are in a speed contest? This part should be the most cautious, methodical process. Practice makes perfect in this case.
I donโ€™t personally carry appendix, but I think itโ€™s largely a mental thing. People in general just donโ€™t like to point the Glock at the ****. The fact is carrying IWB at 3:00-4:00 if you have an AD holstering or unholstering you got a pretty good shot at hitting your femural artery anyway.

I tried it, and at first really liked it. That was until I tried it for a whole day. I had a full day of activities, including a road trip (4 hours total), get into/out of a car half a dozen times, lunch at a restaurant, range time, etc. When I finally returned home I found that I was sore from the holster digging into my thigh and groin. In addition, one of the holster clips slipped off the belt once (probably due to my gut!). Based on these, I realized that it isn't for me, so I went back to my 3 o'clock carry. Note. I have tried it a couple of times since.
Well, I'm giving it another try. Since my last post, I've lost 20 pounds and some of my gut mentioned above. Losing that extra weight does make it much more comfortable. I find this carry method provides easier access to the firearm, and direct observation of the holster opening during the reholster process. Appendix carry almost eliminates any concerns with printing for me.

For me, AIWB carry is a little scary because of all the reasons cited. That is why I like the XD-E. Sorry guys, but no striker fired for me! :)

I've carried both my HK usp9 and XDm 3.8 compact .45 appendix. I use Kydex holsters that cover trigger completely.
I've never felt unsafe in doing so.

I fire a 1911 a lot and will carry it some as well. The thumb safety is great and a natural feeling to me. On my xd40, xds 9 and xdm 10mm, my thumb still gets that "activation" of a safety as I go to shooting position and the thumb slides over and down the slide release. I am a Springfield affacianado and I love being able to switch between models and they basically feel the same.

Reaching behind me past the 3;00 position seems unnatural, plus what if I am down on my back and need fast access to my defensive weapon?

Now, if I could get that 1911 trigger in every model :)

Back