testtest

Should I Appendix Carry?

Downsides...first, a negligent discharge, for ANY reason, runs a real risk of blowing out your femoral artery/veins that run down the inside of your leg. This is simply not survivable, and this means being good (or lucky) even 99% of the time with this draw isn't good enough. Second, presenting the weapon is visible to everyone in front of you - friend and foe alike. And since you don't know them any more than they know you, you run the risk of having bystanders react instinctively (either with good or evil intent) and grab for your weapon. At the least, it immediately identifies you as a foe to the bad guy (whom you may not see).

I've primarily carried Appendix since I first started carrying almost 20 years ago (I'll use an OWB holster during rare cold snaps when wearing a cover garment). While there's no way to do it 100% safely, I only use quality kydex holsters that completely cover the trigger guard for any gun w/o an external safety. I'm willing to use a thick leather holster if I'm carrying a gun with an external safety. AIWB with a kydex holster is admittedly not the most comfortable method, but it provides the quickest access to my firearm and prints the least with my body style.

I also never holster the weapon while wearing the holster. The gun either goes inside the holster before I put it on, or I remove the holster from my waistband to re-holster the gun. I consider carrying a weapon to be an individual choice and fully accept that many people are uncomfortable with AIWB carry.

Let me count the ways in which I can unwittingly perforate myself...
I would add to Gruber's comment, The only way I would carry appendix style is with an unloaded firearm.
But then, I am notoriously fond of all of my soft bits and hydraulic fluid.

There are other, much safer methods of carrying handguns without having to feel pressured by stylish trends.
I certainly don't think appendix carry is a trend and I don't see anyone pressuring someone to carry their sidearm in any particular manner. Those of us that do realize the supreme benefits of appendix carry do so out of that knowledge first and foremost...I for one don't care where a person carries their gun, as long as they are trained and the weapon is safe and secure, you can carry it however is best for you.

Like many, I vary my concealed carry position according to clothing and circumstance. Cross draw opposite the appendix is one I utilize in automobiles. Like many, I am concerned about holstering the gun. I found it is easy to re-holster using the handle only and torquing the handle so the muzzle points away from the torso during insertion into the holster. I never place a finger in the trigger guard drawing or holstering my gun. If a lightning bolt hit the trigger and fired the weapon, it would only strike the ground far in front of my feet. We are all different. This works for me.

Like many, I vary my concealed carry position according to clothing and circumstance. Cross draw opposite the appendix is one I utilize in automobiles. Like many, I am concerned about holstering the gun. I found it is easy to re-holster using the handle only and torquing the handle so the muzzle points away from the torso during insertion into the holster. I never place a finger in the trigger guard drawing or holstering my gun. If a lightning bolt hit the trigger and fired the weapon, it would only strike the ground far in front of my feet. We are all different. This works for me.
Welcome to the forum tsbent!

Agreed, carry depends on scenario, conditions and other variables. Frequently use same crossdraw method if sitting for prolonged periods. Shoulder holster method works well when driving sometimes too.

The only logical argument against appendix carry I can come up with is it's uncomfortable as hell sitting down. Other than that, as long as the same principles used when carrying any other way are applied it is perfectly safe and almost certainly much quicker to draw. I'm considering giving it a try.

since i got my ccw, i wanted to carry AIWB, due to not being able to get my arm behind me (extreme pain if i try)

so, i started with a "we the people" IWB, and it really worked for me.

but the slide (at the rear sight) touches my skin. and like some here, i have hair.

so i went and got an Alien Gear AIWB, and it has like an "extension" of sorts that covers that part of the slide, and is also really comfortable.

i like appendix carry, more comfortable for me, easy to reach, and i have no trouble sitting down, if i make a slight adjustment when i first put it on, then done.

I dont.. but thats just me.

To me its simply a matter of where I would expect to take a bullet if for some reason I suffer a ND. What I mean specifically is that a graze to the outter hip our outter leg is bad but not as bad as taking a hit to the pelvic region. In my mind its simply a matter or survival given the location of major blood lines, nerves and organs.

I dont give a flip about printing and never have. I lawfully carry a firearm, I mind my own business and I live kindly. If people on occasion happen to notice that I am printing.. so what. I have worn a firearm in the 3:30 equivalent position and covered by a tshirt for decades. In that time, I suspect that 2 people have noticed that I am carrying. Others certainly may have noticed but never offered any outward indication.

My intent is to conceal the firearm from casual observers or from observations at a distance. I am not trying to conceal in any ABOSLUTE manner. If I thought that appendix carry would offer me more capabilities or advantages toward lawful self defense, I would do it. I accept that it may be beneficial to others but for my specific body type, maybe not so much.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Should I Appendix Carry?" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/should-i-appendix-carry/.

I carry appendix. My two recent carry pistols are SAO striker. One has a safe action trigger, the other does not but can be modified to have one. Its my opinion that carrying appendix requires additional training. Re-holstering is critical that the user pull the holster out and re-holster while pointing the gun and holster in a safe direction. This reduces the risk of ND and prevents injury and death if the trigger is activated: it takes a few seconds. Any drawing requires trigger finger discipline for any holster: keeping the trigger finger clear of the trigger until the gun has cleared your body and aimed at the threat is the second adaptation. More emphasis on safety given the difference of mode of carry is critical. I carry a 1911A1 appendix also, and the thumb safety provides a false sense of security, and the same safety adaptations should be adhered to. A tactical re-holster if you will, can be done under duress where the appendix holster is tilted away from the body and the gun is then holstered. The same injury can be sustained from hip holstering, but appendix makes tilting the holster away from the body a bit more difficult and this is why I recommend being mindful of these two steps. It is in theory the same set of actions and safety rules, but appendix adds a bit more potential for chaos into the fray from my experience of carrying appendix for 20+ years successfully. I have had lint, shirt material, seat belts, and other loose debris, block both draw and holstering.

If you are carrying IWB on your hip the bullet isn't just going to graze your leg. It's got a pretty good chance of hitting the femoral vein, possibly even the femoral artery.

I dont carry IWB.

As I stated previously, I dont care about printing and in the event that I might suffer a ND, my outer hip and outer leg could find itself in the way.

Last edited:
since i got my ccw, i wanted to carry AIWB, due to not being able to get my arm behind me (extreme pain if i try)

so, i started with a "we the people" IWB, and it really worked for me.

but the slide (at the rear sight) touches my skin. and like some here, i have hair.

so i went and got an Alien Gear AIWB, and it has like an "extension" of sorts that covers that part of the slide, and is also really comfortable.

i like appendix carry, more comfortable for me, easy to reach, and i have no trouble sitting down, if i make a slight adjustment when i first put it on, then done.

At 1:11 (in the Aliengear Holster video), the guy puts the holster and the gun right at the 12:00 position, pointing right at his most critical area! I can't do it! No way!

But hey, if it works for you, go for it!

At 1:11 (in the Aliengear Holster video), the guy puts the holster and the gun right at the 12:00 position, pointing right at his most critical area! I can't do it! No way!

It is the natural inclination of all males I think. Really it's just a matter of overcoming your inherent bias. The fact is carrying IWB anywhere you are likely to cause life changing or life ending damage if you have a ND. Not that I am an authority on AIWB carry since I have never done it before. I just don't see how it could possibly be comfortable when you are sitting.

Bassbob is correct. If you currently carry strong-side put yourself into a shooting or fighting stance and take a look at where the barrel of your holstered pistol is pointed. Odds are that line passes right through your thigh. Lack of trigger discipline is a big concern regardless of where the pistol rides on your hip.

I was concerned about appendix carry when I started too. I spent many hours practicing draws and returns before I actually put a round in the chamber. Practice is key.

no, i do not put it in THAT place...lol

it's just slightly in front of my pants pocket, maybe a tad close to that front pocket, and it is comfortable for me. due to some shoulder issues that i have, if i were to put it at my side 3:00??? or beyond that, my arm is in extreme pain, reaching for it.

Back