testtest

Should I Own Different Handguns for Concealed Carry and Home Defense?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
These days, most gun owners own at least one gun for self defense purposes, but should they own two? There's a debate in the community about whether or not a single self defense firearm is enough to protect you both when you are home and while you're out and about. We'll take a look at the benefits of keeping a second pistol to help you make the decision.

18-ArmsIntl-1119_BlogImages_052419_DifferentHandguns.jpg

These days, most gun owners own at least one gun for self defense purposes, but should they own two? There's a debate in the community about whether or not a single self defense firearm is enough to protect you both when you are home and while you're out and about. We'll take a look at the benefits of keeping a second pistol to help you make the decision.

18-ArmsIntl-1119_BlogImages_052419_DifferentHandguns.jpg
I use the same gun for CCW and house, lots of people will have a different one for each purpose, me, I like to train and practice with the same gun, that way I am more familiar with it and I won’t have to make a mental adjustment to which gun I am using, it will be the same.

Well, it's more of a convenance... I have a full-size handgun with a tac light next to my bed in a nightstand. But as I sit here and type in my man cave, where most of my guns are also stored and worked on, got another handgun and even a Sig MPX pistol next to me and hanging on the back of my door.

Along with a couple others tactically place around the house like next to my front door and in my living room.

BUT the one I put in my waistband to go somewhere is in the holster next to my keys and wallet.

More of a convenance then a necessary IMO.

There is a school of thought that supports Anni's view.

Personally I shoot and train enough and all my handguns are familiar and similar enough that I feel perfectly comfortable carrying any of them. Though these days I have settled down on to 2 in particular. A .45 Shield for summer carry and a P30L for the other 3 seasons. I used to favor a 13 rd. XD .45 for cool weather, but there's something about this P30L.

I have several gun sizes and have carried them all at one time or another. As of yet I have never used one of the sub compacts for a nightstand gun. I do shoot them all fairly regularly and a fair degree of competence. If I was going to be a single gun owner I would probably purchase for carry.

Have 3 in my EDC rotation, all of which I train and practice with on a regular basis. I just use the gun of the day for home defense, as the longest shot I'd have to make is less than 40 feet in our single story home with many good options for cover/concealmnent. During the day, it's always on me, along with one or two spare mags, depending on single or double stack giving me 19-31 rounds on hand. At bedtime, it's concealed within arm's reach with the spare mag(s) and a tac flashlight that I can access in seconds. We have 2 alarm systems in our intruder hardened home. One is electrical with battery backup, the other a Rottweiler who barks when anyone or anything enters "his" yard, and he would probably eat the perp before I'd have to engage. Lots of good advice in all these posts. Train, practice, and as the Boy Scout's motto says, "Be Prepared".

Being simple minded, I prefer to stay with one manual of arms for defensive guns. I think weapon mounted lights make sense for a house gun. But my first go-to for home defense is my 870 with a Surefire light forend and sling. The .45 SAO Sig or 1911 will do in a pinch.

I also like to think about what to do with my gun after the noisy part when I need both hands for something else, like first aid. If someone breaks into my house in the wee hours they are likely to find me in my boxer shorts, which are not equipped with pockets, belt loops, or holsters. My long guns have slings. Here is a place where keeping your bump in the night handgun in a simple sling type holster may be beneficial.

I also like to think about what to do with my gun after the noisy part when I need both hands for something else, like first aid. If someone breaks into my house in the wee hours they are likely to find me in my boxer shorts, which are not equipped with pockets, belt loops, or holsters. My long guns have slings. Here is a place where keeping your bump in the night handgun in a simple sling type holster may be beneficial.
Agreed, and I think this is sometimes overlooked. I keep a small sling bag in our bedroom that allows my to 'holster' if I need both hands free for something, and it also carries a TQ, other trauma kit, a knife, a spare flashlight and a spare mag. I can throw it over my shoulder much faster than putting on a belt.

Last edited:
Hayes and Hammer- Excellent points in your posts. I have always slept in lightweight athletic pants with large pockets, long ones in winter and shorts in summer. More comfortable for me than boxers or pajamas. My EDC's are all in the 3"-4" barrel range and I use a pocket holster for the night gun, always loaded with 9mm SD ammo, leaving me the weak side pocket for the mag(s). All this is concealed within arm's reach and ready to go in seconds if the situation I hope to never face occurs. Not sure what the material is but think jogging pants or basketball shorts with large pockets. Flashlight carried in weak side hand and under strong side armpit for reloads if necessary. I train and practice this regularly.

Last edited:
I like to keep things as simple as possible. The gun that I carry most often is my Glock 26.

So, that's the gun that does nightstand duty.

All of our children are grown and gone so there's no reason that I would have to leave the bedroom looking for an intruder.

If someone breaks into our home the plan is for my wife to call the police and for me to cover the bedroom door.

Know that you have and practice what you’re using. A manual safety or fiddling with a light or laser when you’re not used to one on a regular basis can cost a critical second or two of delay.

I have something on every floor, one wheeler, two semis and rifle. Nothing ever left in open view. Takes but a minute for a shifty intruder to find where you’re likely to store money, valuables and keys….yep, the counter near the door closest to the car.

No kids/toddlers about so there’s no accidental finds - also have family familiar with my secreted locations.

The EDC is kept where I’m spending most of the time at that moment, once removed for the night its in one particular location ready for tomorrows EDC and travels.

Yall make some good points about different firearms and such.

I usually have 2 firearms (S&W 638 and Sig P320 Compact). I can carry both at the same time if I choose or just one or the other. I have other firearms I sometimes will swap the P320 with, but the longer I carry the P320 the more it just feels like it was made for my hand...:)

The S&W 638 Bodyguard I keep around because it's so easy to conceal. I can load it up with snake shot and hollow points. I can shoot it double action or single action (I usually shoot it double action.).

I live in a small town and sometimes walk downtown or to HEB. I also ride a recumbent trike at a park not too far from the house. The 638 is perfect for me for all these situations.

When I'm in my truck the firearm in addition to the 638 I carry will depend where I'm going. If I'm heading closer to the Mexican border then I will carry something that has higher ammo capacity and that sometimes includes a rifle.

I am a firm believer in quality over quantity. I've found a few firearms that I like and trust and can shoot accurately.

I have a few knives but there's only a couple I usually leave the house with because of their concealment and ease of deployment. I've trained in several martial arts styles yet I practice basics that are simple and effective. It's really not how many martial arts techniques you think you know, it's how many you can execute under duress.

Again, quality over quantity. At least for me...:)

I may, or may not, carry a pistol, but there is always a revolver in the nightstand on both sides of the bed.

There are several reasons, the first is if someone makes it to my bedroom undiscovered I want the simplicity and reliability of a revolver. A pistol could be pressed out of battery if I had to push the muzzle against an adversary who is already danger close. Yeah i know, no way anyone gets that close to one of us experts, but it happens all the time.

Second my wife is a dedicated revolver shooter. If she has to, for whatever reason, use the weapon on my side it need to be one she uses well. Both are revolvers, a Sw 637 and my Sw Model 60 both use same speed loaders. Biggest difference is Hers has a laser grip and a weapon light on board. I prefer a separate flashlight.

KISS simple...

I carry a pistol more in warm months than I do in colder months. Colder months and for any woods walking I carry revolvers. But no matter what the bedside stays the same.

Last edited:
You don’t have to, but I do.

I want the size and weight advantages of a smaller handgun for better concealment, but have a DA/SA full size, metal handgun with 20 round mags for home defense.

Personally, I’m not one to conceal and carry a full size weapon, but I damn sure want one for home defense with a red dot and suppressor height sights, with an option to add a suppressor.

Back