testtest

Should the Schools Be Seeking Nationwide Media Attention for Arming Teachers?

wmg1299

Professional
I saw this on the news and am conflicted about the way it is being handled. My wife is from a small town that feeds into this school district, and I have family members who taught at this school. I fully support this program, and would definitely have voted for it if my kids were attending this school. While I'm proud of the Superintendent for participating in the Guardian Program, something rubs me the wrong way about seeking nationwide media attention for doing so.

I live in the Dallas area, but do some legal work in Grand Saline to help out friends of the family who live in the area (there aren't a lot of attorneys in small-town East TX). I frequently take my kids to the family land to shoot and plink. I know for a fact that the vast majority of families in the area are patriotic gun owners. I also recognize that these people choose to live in rural towns because they enjoy their privacy and the freedom to raise their families without worrying what anybody else thinks about the way they chose to do it.

Over 300 school districts in Texas participate in the Guardian Program, which arms qualified teachers, but none of those Superintendents are rushing out to tell New York City newspapers about their decision. When asked, most of these school officials just say something like, "We are doing what we feel is in the best interest of our students and does the most to keep our students safe. We have no further comment." Am I being overly sensitive? Do you guys think Superintendents publicizing their participation in this program furthers the 2nd Amendment, or does it just serve as fodder for the Elites to label us as backwards Rednecks?

Informing the public of armed teachers to protect the kids may help prevent the cowardly school shooters from trying something, so it may be worthwhile. They like to attack where they know there won't be anyone shooting back.
I do hope the armed teachers can keep their wits and hit what they're aiming at. IOW, not all teachers could qualify.

wmg :
Very interesting post, and interesting concerns you have there.
To break it down, you have two basic questions: 1) do readers here think you’re being overly sensitive ? and 2) do Forum members think the concept of publicizing armed teacher policies helps the 2A cause or is it counterproductive?

1) as Simon alludes to, yeah, you’ve got issues with the way the policies are getting publicized. I for one share that concern, and do not think your overly sensitive. My take is that the education ‘industry’ [racket] is well aware of this option even in deep blue areas and inner city sch systems.

2) …and although the media outlet you posted is 2A friendly (i think?), telling everybody (the publicity angle) is pointless and largely just stirs pots that are already at a roiling boil with some people. It turns into a button-pusher. Everybody that ‘needs to know’ about armed teachers already does. More ‘idiot involvement’ never helps. (I have some Liberal friends and i love them dearly - they are NOT idiots per se, but they also DO NOT know how to think things thru…another topic, but I just wanted to add that I didn’t mean ‘idiot’ to attack any well informed and well intentioned person regardless of their position - but there are sheeple, activists, reality TV wannabes or whatever, and they never help anything).

Final word: you ain’t being over sensitive about anything if your gut tells you something’s not quite right! :) It may stem from our deep desire to think that if kiddo is in school, he/she’s in an inherently safe place. Which is based on wishful thinking and the parents’ lack of control….

Guess thats enuff from TW.

Last edited:
I think the less the general public knows about certain things the better off you are. This is just my opinion.
that's right...

as in "concealed carry"...

if one announces he/she is carrying, then that one becomes a target.

as the element of surprise, was taken away.

keeping quiet about armed teachers, lessens the probability they be taken out first, then there goes the protection.

I should probably clarify something about my position. I have no problem with the school letting everyone in the community know about their participation in the Guardian Program. I think they have a specific duty to inform parents of this decision. What I have an issue with is the superintendent granting an interview to a large NYC paper. I just don't believe that small town Texans have to explain or justify their decisions to anyone in New York, L.A., or anywhere else for that matter. Even if the NY Post is a conservative paper, I believe that all school decisions should be based solely on what is best for the students in the community they serve, not on the approval of coastal elites or the mainstream media.

What a conundrum, do you let everyone know then have the media spin it as dangerous or don’t ask don’t tell 🤔🤔

What do they say?
Better to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission.

Gun free zones, a recipe for disaster.
Documented and proven.

Informing the public of armed teachers to protect the kids may help prevent the cowardly school shooters from trying something, so it may be worthwhile. They like to attack where they know there won't be anyone shooting back.
I do hope the armed teachers can keep their wits and hit what they're aiming at. IOW, not all teachers could qualify.
I agree. The deterrence value alone won't stop all school shootings but it may stop a few. I still live by the premise that when seconds count, the police are minutes away. If an armed school shooter is shot by a teacher than it will most probably save some student lifes.

The elites are going to label you as backwards rednecks no matter what. So to heck with them. I don't think publicizing the program will further the Second Amendment, but the results of the program over time will. A lack of school shootings compared to other places and/or quickly neutralized would-be school shooters will be the proof in the pudding.

I think a low key "don't talk about Fight Club" approach is probably best when it comes to the press's interest in the topic. Such stories are more likely to be sensationalized or spun into anti-gun histrionics than to be a thoughtful examination of the issue. I doubt publicity would serve as a deterrent to would-be school shooters. I don't think their minds work like that.

OOPS on the reply to Southtex:

"Personally, I'm not for broadcasting the fact but if a legally licensed and trained teacher wants to carry to school, they should be allowed"

I partially agree. I think it is worth broadcasting that it is allowed by qualified teachers. There would be a little deterrent value being that schools are no gun zones. Now obviously, I do not agree that any other information should be released such as whether or not there are any armed teachers in said school, which teachers are qualified to carry or anything other than the fact that it is allowed.

I still live by the premise that when seconds count, the police are minutes away.
Your statement is always a good one to live by, but what many people don't understand about these rural communities is that police can often be 20-45 minutes away. While the NYPD may be on every street corner in NYC, many of these small Texas communities rely on County Sheriff's Departments or State Troopers that have incredibly large geographic jurisdictions.

One of the other things outsiders probably don't realize about these schools is that the teachers and staff know absolutely everyone in the school. The older teachers have often taught 3 generations of their students' families, and almost all of the younger teachers were recently classmates with the parents of their current students. The typical big blue city police chief argument that having armed civilians will keep police and others from knowing who the good guys are simply doesn't apply in these towns.

My main problem with talking to the NYC press about the issue is that the average NY Post reader has no concept of how rural Texans live, or the strength of their community ties. I'm even willing to entertain the idea, though I have strong doubts, that arming teachers may not be a good practice in NYC schools. What I do know is that arming teachers in rural Texas schools makes perfect sense, which is probably why 300 Texas school districts have done it.

Your statement is always a good one to live by, but what many people don't understand about these rural communities is that police can often be 20-45 minutes away. While the NYPD may be on every street corner in NYC, many of these small Texas communities rely on County Sheriff's Departments or State Troopers that have incredibly large geographic jurisdictions.

One of the other things outsiders probably don't realize about these schools is that the teachers and staff know absolutely everyone in the school. The older teachers have often taught 3 generations of their students' families, and almost all of the younger teachers were recently classmates with the parents of their current students. The typical big blue city police chief argument that having armed civilians will keep police and others from knowing who the good guys are simply doesn't apply in these towns.

My main problem with talking to the NYC press about the issue is that the average NY Post reader has no concept of how rural Texans live, or the strength of their community ties. I'm even willing to entertain the idea, though I have strong doubts, that arming teachers may not be a good practice in NYC schools. What I do know is that arming teachers in rural Texas schools makes perfect sense, which is probably why 300 Texas school districts have done it.
Definitely geographic location will have pros and cons to this type of decision.

A news story saying some teachers in a district can be armed would deter some shootings. These cretins attack only the un-armed. You don't see them shooting anyone at gun shows or ranges. Make one move there and you'll look like a sieve.
They go after the kids where the psycho feels safe. A notice otherwise may save some kids.

I saw this on the news and am conflicted about the way it is being handled. My wife is from a small town that feeds into this school district, and I have family members who taught at this school. I fully support this program, and would definitely have voted for it if my kids were attending this school. While I'm proud of the Superintendent for participating in the Guardian Program, something rubs me the wrong way about seeking nationwide media attention for doing so.

I live in the Dallas area, but do some legal work in Grand Saline to help out friends of the family who live in the area (there aren't a lot of attorneys in small-town East TX). I frequently take my kids to the family land to shoot and plink. I know for a fact that the vast majority of families in the area are patriotic gun owners. I also recognize that these people choose to live in rural towns because they enjoy their privacy and the freedom to raise their families without worrying what anybody else thinks about the way they chose to do it.

Over 300 school districts in Texas participate in the Guardian Program, which arms qualified teachers, but none of those Superintendents are rushing out to tell New York City newspapers about their decision. When asked, most of these school officials just say something like, "We are doing what we feel is in the best interest of our students and does the most to keep our students safe. We have no further comment." Am I being overly sensitive? Do you guys think Superintendents publicizing their participation in this program furthers the 2nd Amendment, or does it just serve as fodder for the Elites to label us as backwards Rednecks?

The "Elites" need no reason to denigrate you they simply hate anyone who does not drink their kool-aid. The best course for you is to live your lives as you see fit. You will never change their mind.

Back