testtest

Should You Reload Your Own Ammo?

BobM:

If I may, I submit that you overstate the dangers of reloading small arms ammunition. Over many years, I’ve reloaded shot shells, rifle and hand gun ammunition for competition use, without problems. I do not cast my own bullets, using the output of quality casters. Regarding the hazard of overloads, certainly something to consider, there is a wealth of tested data available for the handloader, with published STARTING LOADS being a good place to start. I might have chewed a cigar while reloading, but never a lighted cigar. By the way, I’ve been and remain, an apartment dweller, except for periods of time when I livEd on the road. Apartment living and reloading are not mutually exclusive, providing the generous application of common sense.

Seems like at least one individual disagrees with you. For myself, I’m more than a mite curious regarding how cartridge cases would be reprimed. Using fired cases to make bullet jackets is another thing, the forming dies needed might be, price wise, a sticking point. I have not inquired into that aspect. Also, a special press might be required. Using cast bullets might be a lot simpler.

Very possibly some disagree, depends on what's meant by reloading what, how and where? May depend on interpetations? No intentions of starting any disagreements, but they do happen. Complete reloading setup's can take up a lot of room quick. But, on the other hand, depending on tools, needs and methods, can reload outside on a tree stump. Different safety concerns can easily depend on where reloading.

Enough space? Nothing wrong about apartment dwelling. But, not having enough room set aside can create or lead to mistakes by not separating things far enough apart or tripping over something and can depend on scenario and set up. On the other hand not everything is buried in concrete or set in stone? Another member here, living in an apartment for example, posted pics and info on their condensed reloading set up on a mobile cart. They did a good job in setting it up. And, it's fine for what they're doing, plus they're experienced too. - It can make a huge difference on how to do things safely and they've likely got their methods down pat on what they need and how. It likely works well enough for their purposes. Nothing wrong with that from what seen.

Safety? On manuals, of course starting out with basics is a good beginning when reading and interpreting them correctly. Using new brass verses used can eliminate some processes like resizing, deburring and space needed too. Casting bullets verses buying bullets, there's more space and more or less safety concerns. - Have seen lead pots used to melt lead explode from moisture, especially when using an open flame outside, is not pretty and can possibly start fires depending on where it lands.

Common sense? Seems there's varying degrees or varieties of it floating around at times? Just by reading the news sometimes shows some are slightly lacking. Reloading for a careful conscious newbie if following directions and simple safety concerns, is usually not a biggie. Isn't complete rocket science and is as safe as filling up a fuel tank when proper precautions are followed and taken.

Last edited:
Getting back to the article of Should You Reload, I would generally say yes provided you can follow directions and guidelines. As noted there are multiple reasons for making your own. It isn't rocket science, but bad things can happen if you do foolish things. Now that that is settled, is there another horse we can beat?

First... Why would you want to cast your own lead bullets when jacketed bullets work so much better. Second... A jacketed bullet negates the lead fouling in your barrels. Even if you wanted lead bullets, there are many sources other than making your own that are much cheaper and less labor intensive ruling out the dangers you have indicated. You also have to find the correct mixture of metals for casting, which is a science in itself. I'll leave that up to the big boys like Hornady, Sierra, and the rest of the many manufacturers out there that do this kind of thing for a living. I have reloaded now for over twenty years and never have had a problem...

First... Why would you want to cast your own lead bullets when jacketed bullets work so much better. Second... A jacketed bullet negates the lead fouling in your barrels. Even if you wanted lead bullets, there are many sources other than making your own that are much cheaper and less labor intensive ruling out the dangers you have indicated. You also have to find the correct mixture of metals for casting, which is a science in itself. I'll leave that up to the big boys like Hornady, Sierra, and the rest of the many manufacturers out there that do this kind of thing for a living. I have reloaded now for over twenty years and never have had a problem...
Cast lead has good use on tough animals when needed! Deep penetration on bears and other dangerous animals!

Back