testtest

Should You Use Slugs, Birdshot, or Buckshot for Home Defense?

Birdshot no 6 you don’t have to think about your neighbor house

I wouldn’t...birdshot should only be used on things with feathers and mammals weighing under 10 pounds.

#4 buck is an excellent compromise at inside the home distances...that is, under 30 feet. It'll still punch plenty deep to get a reliable stop, but won’t go through as many walls as the heavier buckshot will.

If you suspect the fight might go longer, or outdoors, I’d switch to #1, or OO.

Better yet, figure out your shot angles and reinforce any that might be a threat outside the home...bookcases are great in this regard.

buckshot-sizes.jpg

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/stuff-you-should-know-about-buckshot-part-1/

I really wish you could find a good 2-3/4” BB load.

I think that would be the perfect balance when it comes to penetration in threat vs penetration through walls...

Hey, Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady...if you’re listening, you could call it ”Suburban Defender”, or something...

My 12 Gauge Mossberg Shockwave is loaded with OO buck shot for my home defense weapon It may penetrate my walls but it's not going through the next-door neighbors home like a .308, 5.56, or Slug can. Birdshot it too lite to make one-shot stops BB or #2 shot might work. But one or more of the 9 balls of lead is going to strike its intended target in the close quarters of my home plus I will release the DOG! Home Invaders tend to be armed and there are 3 or 4 of them. You should have a plan and some type of early warning device a hard-wired/wireless combination security system with video. security lights with motion activation with video that uploads to the cloud as well as a hidden DVR. Call 911 on your cell leave it on speaker so the dispatcher can hear and you can communicate until the arrival of Law Enforcement they will send many units to a reported home invasion. When they arrive stand down place your weapon down don't be holding it once they enter.secure the Dog if he is not dead. Don't leave your home or go outside do not try to chase invaders routed from your home.

It's a really fun gun but kinda weighty with a full drum.

Also bird shot doesn't cycle well with this gun either. When using slugs or buck it's game on never have a short cycle it keeps raining the pain.
The Saiga has been known to be pretty reliable. What do you think of the Kalashnikov KOMRAD?

Back