testtest

SIG P-229 MAG ISSUES

rcurtner

Custom
I recently purchased a P-229, it came with 2 15 round mags and I purchased 4 more. Loaded 15 rounds in two mags a little over a month ago. I checked on the loaded mags today and I was only able to thumb two rounds from each. The springs were compressed and the remaining rounds were loose, no compression. I smacked the mags on a table trying shake the springs loose, they stayed compressed. I really hate to send them back, guess I'll just get some aftermarket springs. Has anyone had this problem?

I recently purchased a P-229, it came with 2 15 round mags and I purchased 4 more. Loaded 15 rounds in two mags a little over a month ago. I checked on the loaded mags today and I was only able to thumb two rounds from each. The springs were compressed and the remaining rounds were loose, no compression. I smacked the mags on a table trying shake the springs loose, they stayed compressed. I really hate to send them back, guess I'll just get some aftermarket springs. Has anyone had this problem?
Nope . Not on any Sig mags

As Beltfed said (in not as many words), springs do not wear out by being held compressed. They wear out from repeated coiling-and-uncoiling (compression-and -decompression). IF the springs were made from the proper steel (and they were formed to spec), the springs are not the problem.

I got a load of Mec-Gars on sale years back for my P228s and they've never failed me. I have a few "off brand" mags I picked up at gun shows along the way and most were crap. I have the original 10 rounders that came with the guns but they stay in the drawer. If you get them apart, check the inside walls to make sure the followers can track smoothly. If not, send them back or call and let them know.

Back