testtest

Sig P226 Legion SAO vs Staccato P (Sept 1, 2023)

dadoser

Elite
(Posting here because questions asked and discussions within this group directly led me to the acquisition and comparison of both firearms. I mostly blame SimonRL directly.)

First - let me say up front - the 40 yr old me looks at the total amount of money the 59 yr old me has in just these 2 firearms, and sh*ts his pants.

Staccato P (Aluminium frame) and Sig P226 Legion SAO - side-by-side shooting comparison. I am not a professional - just an enthusiast who likes firearms, shooting, and tries to do a little research.

Both - SAO, Holosun 507C ACSS green, Streamlight TLR-1 HL

Cost as set up -
Staccato P - 3,470 (approx)
Sig P226 Legion - 2,030 (approx)

Barrel -
Staccato P - OEM Threaded 5"
P226 Legion - SilencerCo Threaded 5" (addition - non-OEM)

Weight - unloaded w/ 20 round magazine (set-up in pics)
Staccato P - 39.9 oz
P226 Legion - 39.1 oz

Trigger -
Staccato P - curved
P226 Legion - flat

Safety -
Staccato - thumb, grip
P226 Legion - thumb

I shot the Sig P226 Legion first thru all targets, then repeated the same routine with the Staccato P. (Decided by a flip of a coin before I left the house)

All rounds 124gr same brand (don't remember what brand as I've had these loaded up for a month waiting to do this.)\

Post range session thoughts -
I have not been to the range in over a month with the start of school. So I did feel like I was shooting these fairly cold. Both triggers are excellent. Shooting them both side by side, I was surprised that I think I like the trigger on the Sig P226 a little better.
Based on my novice shooting skills, I really don't see any difference in the way either of these shoot for me. They both feel equally great in the hand. The Sig P226 has a great history with special ops. There is definitely an "it" factor in owning a Staccato; and however that manifests itself with the folks you shoot with, and around.

In conclusion, the 40 yr old me looks at the 59 yr old me and says "Why the f*ck did you spend all that money on a Staccato?!" (That's the Southern IL redneck origins coming out. I can also literally hear that same statement in my father's voice.) 59 yr old me says, "Eh, I've got 2 high quality great handguns that should hold their value that I totally enjoy shooting." Realistically, I just don't see the Staccato P being a 1400 better gun than the P226 Legion SOA just my enthusiast take. (I read that the steel frame Staccatos shoot flatter.) Both are excellent, quality firearms.

1694702972950.png

Target 1 - Warm-up. one magazine from each gun from 30 ft. 1 - Sig Legion; 2 - Staccato P (both shot before going thru series below)

1694703238542.png

Target 2 - P226 - 30 ft.
1694703286806.png

Target 3 - Staccato P - 30ft (Clearly I had a few shooter related issues here.)

1694703339474.png

Target 4 - P226 - 9 to the body at 45ft. 11 to the head at 21ft. (I have issues counting)

1694703398462.png

Target 5 - Staccato - 10 to the body at 45ft. 10(?) to the head at 21ft. (I'm not sure where that neck shot came from. Its not from the head shots and I don't think I threw one from the body that far off - but the evidence is there.....and it was from 45ft with aging eyes....)

1694703438025.png

(Posting here because questions asked and discussions within this group directly led me to the acquisition and comparison of both firearms. I mostly blame SimonRL directly.)

First - let me say up front - the 40 yr old me looks at the total amount of money the 59 yr old me has in just these 2 firearms, and sh*ts his pants.

Staccato P (Aluminium frame) and Sig P226 Legion SAO - side-by-side shooting comparison. I am not a professional - just an enthusiast who likes firearms, shooting, and tries to do a little research.

Cost as set up -

Barrel -

Staccato P - 39.9 oz
P226 Legion - 39.1 oz

Trigger -
Staccato P - curved
P226 Legion - flat

Safety -
Staccato - thumb, grip
P226 Legion - thumb

I shot the Sig P226 Legion first thru all targets, then repeated the same routine with the Staccato P. (Decided by a flip of a coin before I left the house)

All rounds 124gr same brand (don't remember what brand as I've had these loaded up for a month waiting to do this.)\

I have not been to the range in over a month with the start of school. So I did feel like I was shooting these fairly cold. Both triggers are excellent. Shooting them both side by side, I was surprised that I think I like the trigger on the Sig P226 a little better.
Based on my novice shooting skills, I really don't see any difference in the way either of these shoot for me. They both feel equally great in the hand. The Sig P226 has a great history with special ops. There is definitely an "it" factor in owning a Staccato; and however that manifests itself with the folks you shoot with, and around.

In conclusion, the 40 yr old me looks at the 59 yr old me and says "Why the f*ck did you spend all that money on a Staccato?!" (That's the Southern IL redneck origins coming out. I can also literally hear that same statement in my father's voice.) 59 yr old me says, "Eh, I've got 2 high quality great handguns that should hold their value that I totally enjoy shooting." Realistically, I just don't see the Staccato P being a 1400 better gun than the P226 Legion SOA just my enthusiast take. (I read that the steel frame Staccatos shoot flatter.) Both are excellent, quality firearms.

View attachment 43622

Target 1 - Warm-up. one magazine from each gun from 30 ft. 1 - Sig Legion; 2 - Staccato P (both shot before going thru series below)

View attachment 43623

Target 2 - P226 - 30 ft.
View attachment 43624

View attachment 43625

Target 4 - P226 - 9 to the body at 45ft. 11 to the head at 21ft. (I have issues counting)

View attachment 43626

Target 5 - Staccato - 10 to the body at 45ft. 10(?) to the head at 21ft. (I'm not sure where that neck shot came from. Its not from the head shots and I don't think I threw one from the body that far off - but the evidence is there.....and it was from 45ft with aging eyes....)

View attachment 43627
Nice shooting
Great guns and nice report on the 2 guns.
I’m partial to the Sig myself having shot Simons and a Staccato

Great report! Nice to know that I am directly responsible for lightening people’s wallets. After all, misery loves company!

No question that the Stccatos are outstanding guns, but there is something magical about the P226, and for me, the Legion SAO is a pure joy to shoot. I don’t exactly show restraint when it comes to adding new guns and searching for The Gun, but the truth is that every time I break out my P226 I just feel like “There it is.”

I’d love to see a comparison between the Prodigy and the Staccato. What I can contribute is that my Prodigy (of which I am an unabashed fanboi) shoots blow for blow every bit as well as my 226 Legion, except that the Prodigy doesn’t like certain JHPs while the 226 will eat anything, and for that the 226 tips the scales.

I had a Prodigy and currently have a Staccato P.
Prodigy was 4.25 and P is 4.4.

I really, really liked my Prodigy and put an EGW fire group in it and it really, really shined.
Cold hard facts are this, fit and finish of the P is much, much better than the Prodigy.

From safety on/off, mag release, fire control group, fit and finish (DLC by a mile over Cerakote), no LCI on the barrel of the P…
Both shot very, very well for me… but the Stacatto shot better, it punished my mistakes less.
Between being the more forgiving for me and better fit and finish, I sold my Prodigy to a good friend with the default clause, you decide to sell it…ever, I get first dibs :)
On the Staccato, you can really, really tell the Dave Dawson influence on the parts in fit and finish.
I had both the Prodigy and P just a tick below 2# trigger weight, both weighed by my manual wheeler gauge, multiple pulls and verifying the gauge using a 5lb weight picked up off a table.

In my safe, my P and my P320 Legion X5 w/ Sig Armor’s comp trigger kit are my top shooters.
My old Prodigy and current Canik Rival S…frankly, are no slouches either….that Canik is a shooter as well.

I liked the P so well, that I sold my P320X compact and picked up a C2 to compliment my P as my EDC.
The C2 is a great shooter as well.

Cost as set up -

Barrel -

Staccato P - 39.9 oz
P226 Legion - 39.1 oz

Trigger -
Staccato P - curved
P226 Legion - flat

Safety -
Staccato - thumb, grip
P226 Legion - thumb

View attachment 43622

View attachment 43623

Target 2 - P226 - 30 ft.
View attachment 43624

View attachment 43625

View attachment 43626

View attachment 43627
Darn, that's a tricked out P226! Next on your list is a pro cut slide and extended mag release and then I think that is it :D My P226 goes toe-to-toe with my Prodigy, either one is a beast of accuracy. I do like the grip on the Prodigy a tad better but other than that, can't go wrong with either one. And they both look great in my opinion:

8daa13c47d355b77b8da991980136801.jpg

Darn, that's a tricked out P226! Next on your list is a pro cut slide and extended mag release and then I think that is it :D My P226 goes toe-to-toe with my Prodigy, either one is a beast of accuracy. I do like the grip on the Prodigy a tad better but other than that, can't go wrong with either one. And they both look great in my opinion:

View attachment 44164

:) -
I picked up this P229 Pro last week.
Have not shot it yet, though -

1695787444028.png

That's a nice one, darn! Did the case come with it too? All I got with my 226 was a lousy ugly looking range bag in a questionable color (a $99 value they say!) and a Legion coin...
I got the Legion bag and coin with the P226.

That is a mag pouch only - I get them off Amazon and use them for mag storage/organization. I try to color code by brand of firearm - Black = Sig; Tan = Walther; Green - everything else. I then order a custom text hook patch.

Pouch -

Patch -

Old pic
1695821810177.png

Cost as set up -

Barrel -

Staccato P - 39.9 oz
P226 Legion - 39.1 oz

Trigger -
Staccato P - curved
P226 Legion - flat

Safety -
Staccato - thumb, grip
P226 Legion - thumb

View attachment 43622

View attachment 43623

Target 2 - P226 - 30 ft.
View attachment 43624

View attachment 43625

View attachment 43626

View attachment 43627

Nice summary. I've been re-discovering my classic Sigs recently and it's made me seriously ask myself more than once "Why did I ever bother straying into anything else?" They are all insanely reliable and eat everything I put through them, easy to be accurate with and when I pick one up, it just oozes that solid, "take me anywhere" confidence. Nothing else feels quite like a classic Sig in my hands. I took my MK25 to the range yesterday, not having shot it in at least 6 months, and cold first shot in DA at 23 yards was right on target with a fast follow up shot in SA, also right on. I couldn't help but grin...

And since pics are always good:

MK 25 updated.jpeg

I also tracked down one of my favorite P229 models earlier this year - the Classic Carry. It's been on the belt recently:

P229 Classic Carry.jpeg

I've certainly considered a Staccato in the past on multiple occasions, but similar to you, I've always come back to, "Yeah, but is it really going to shoot $1k-$1500k better than my Sigs?" So far, to the relief of my pocketbook, I remain unconvinced.

I’m very familiar with the SIG 220/226/228 series of guns but not the Legion. I’ve also got a Staccato C2 recently. My opinion is that the C2 is the easiest handgun to shoot and the most accurate. It is in the $2000 range for the basic gun and $2300 for the optical version which is not far from the Legion.
For my money I’m very happy with the C2. I’m also a longtime 1911 guy so that may have something to do with it.

I got the Legion bag and coin with the P226.

That is a mag pouch only - I get them off Amazon and use them for mag storage/organization. I try to color code by brand of firearm - Black = Sig; Tan = Walther; Green - everything else. I then order a custom text hook patch.

Pouch -

Patch -

Old pic
View attachment 44201
I applaud this level of organization. Now I need it. :D

I’m very familiar with the SIG 220/226/228 series of guns but not the Legion. I’ve also got a Staccato C2 recently. My opinion is that the C2 is the easiest handgun to shoot and the most accurate. It is in the $2000 range for the basic gun and $2300 for the optical version which is not far from the Legion.
For my money I’m very happy with the C2. I’m also a longtime 1911 guy so that may have something to do with it.

Yeah, in fairness, some of it definitely just comes down to platform preferences. The Sig, while also single action, is still different in feel and details than a 1911, of course.

Personally, if I'm going to shoot a single action pistol, I tend toward 1911s. But for carry, I generally prefer DA/SA these days. But a buddy of mine has the P226 Legion SAO and loves it.

Last edited:
Back