testtest

Sig p320 unsafe saga continues

I'm pretty sure the model for the US army has a manual safety. I'm trying to find the original solicitation that outlined the technical requirements, but it doesn't seem like any of the other manufacturers had manual safeties.

I find it odd that the p320 for the MHS had a manual safety, but the civilian version does not.

I'm pretty sure the model for the US army has a manual safety. I'm trying to find the original solicitation that outlined the technical requirements, but it doesn't seem like any of the other manufacturers had manual safeties.

I find it odd that the p320 for the MHS had a manual safety, but the civilian version does not.

You can get a P320 with a manual safety (320MS), it’s got the same trigger pack as the M18/19 which does NOT have the drop issues.

The M18/19 can come with or without a safety; the GI version has one, but it can be deleted for certain units.

I turned my safetyless P320 into a S&W 686. It was a great swap. I'll stick to my VPs for a carry gun. No issues with accidental discharges there and they shoot great. As much as I dig my 1911s, M9, HK45, and XDs, the VP series is fantastic all around.

The ones sold in MA have the manual safety. The problem I have with Sig on the whole modular concept is, if you have the external safety, make the damn grip modules and conversion kits with the manual safety notch already cut out. There is no way I am going to spend $300 - $400 on an overpriced conversion kit, that are continuously sold out, that I have to modify the grips so it will work.. They have finally come out with the cutouts for the full size and carry options. Not for the compact models sold here.

You can get a P320 with a manual safety (320MS), it’s got the same trigger pack as the M18/19 which does NOT have the drop issues.

The M18/19 can come with or without a safety; the GI version has one, but it can be deleted for certain units.

So that I'm clear, you're saying it doesn't have the drop issues because the safety is engaged ("safe"), or, even with the safety off, it still doesn't have the drop issues?

Has anyone heard if this malfunction has been noted in the P320X models? The Carry and Compact I think they are called? It's a different trigger but just didn't know if anyone had heard anything. The P320X is on my short list for purchase, at least for now.

I've watched this video 3 or 4 times since it originally came out several months ago. An interesting point of this video is that the video producer won't send his P320 in to get the upgrade - despite mentioning multiple times his concern over whether the pistol is safe or not. Sig Sauer has been turning round most of the upgrades within two weeks, which is probably the time it took to make this video. To me this speaks to the credibility of the piece - which despite its length is akin to tabloid journalism.

From what I understand, the "new" discharges are with upgraded P320s and not new 320s manufactured after Sig started the "voluntary upgrade" program and changed the sear, among other bits. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying the severity of the issue, but when you consider the millions of P320s that have been sold and the extremely small number (by comparison) of accidental and negligent discharges I can't help but wonder if this a case being driven by lawyers. As for why Sig didn't just recall the pistols rather than institute a voluntary upgrade, IMO this was down to the bean counters - who were probably right. How else do you explain everyone not taking part in the upgrade program when all they had to do was call Sig to start the completely free upgrade process? Are the gun owners not concerned for their own safety? Clearly not. So this has been a win/win for Sig, because it has barely made a dent in the enthusiasm of the Sig buying market, they have the huge PR win with the military contract, and they didn't have to pay to fix every single P320. It doesn't make sense to me either, but not much in the world does right now.

By the way, I don't just talk the talk, I walk the walk. I have a P365 SAS, 226 Legion and a P320 X5 Legion, the latter of which I use for home defense and have put thousands of rounds through - not one of which has gone off without me pulling the trigger.

I've watched this video 3 or 4 times since it originally came out several months ago. An interesting point of this video is that the video producer won't send his P320 in to get the upgrade - despite mentioning multiple times his concern over whether the pistol is safe or not. Sig Sauer has been turning round most of the upgrades within two weeks, which is probably the time it took to make this video. To me this speaks to the credibility of the piece - which despite its length is akin to tabloid journalism.

From what I understand, the "new" discharges are with upgraded P320s and not new 320s manufactured after Sig started the "voluntary upgrade" program and changed the sear, among other bits. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying the severity of the issue, but when you consider the millions of P320s that have been sold and the extremely small number (by comparison) of accidental and negligent discharges I can't help but wonder if this a case being driven by lawyers. As for why Sig didn't just recall the pistols rather than institute a voluntary upgrade, IMO this was down to the bean counters - who were probably right. How else do you explain everyone not taking part in the upgrade program when all they had to do was call Sig to start the completely free upgrade process? Are the gun owners not concerned for their own safety? Clearly not. So this has been a win/win for Sig, because it has barely made a dent in the enthusiasm of the Sig buying market, they have the huge PR win with the military contract, and they didn't have to pay to fix every single P320. It doesn't make sense to me either, but not much in the world does right now.

By the way, I don't just talk the talk, I walk the walk. I have a P365 SAS, 226 Legion and a P320 X5 Legion, the latter of which I use for home defense and have put thousands of rounds through - not one of which has gone off without me pulling the trigger.
I recently read a civil complaint detailing unintended discharges from P320s that had been through all the "voluntary upgrades." The fixes didn't stop the problems which makes me think it's just a bad design. To me this is wildly irresponsible on Sig's part. I liked my P320 a lot but there's no way I put that pistol in anyone's hands if I don't trust it, and I definitely didn't after doing some reading. I think Sig screwed up big and should have done a full recall, not labeling it some "voluntary upgrade" to save face in PR. Sig should have followed the Volkswagen model. The whole episode taints my opinion of Sig as a company.

Assuming the MA compliant trigger is the same as the M17, it should be fine.
Got the info from there being no recall on the Army's model...this tends to make headlines.
The contract required Sig to apply “the fix” to all of the Army’s pistols. I don’t know whether we can necessarily assume that is the case with the civilian versions. But that being said, Sig recently passed 1,000,000 P320s sold. The reported NDs of upgraded pistols, or pistols made after the upgrade, is statistically tiny. You have a greater chance of being killed or injured in a one vehicle crash on the way to the grocery store.

The contract required Sig to apply “the fix” to all of the Army’s pistols. I don’t know whether we can necessarily assume that is the case with the civilian versions. But that being said, Sig recently passed 1,000,000 P320s sold. The reported NDs of upgraded pistols, or pistols made after the upgrade, is statistically tiny. You have a greater chance of being killed or injured in a one vehicle crash on the way to the grocery store.

As I recall, “the fix“ wasn't necessary for the M17’s...

Not sure if the MA trigger and the M17 are similar, but I did get the voluntary upgrade notification like everyone else. Maybe just offered across the board?

So it looks like Sig has been lying this whole time. This is a long video but a great watch. It is almost dumbfounding how many discharges the P320 has had, without pulling the trigger. Even being caught on body cams.

Wow! So is Sig going to consider a recall? Someone that works in my same organization also shot their leg due to a discharge

Back