testtest

Single-action in pocket carry? Is this a stupid move?

SDF-1

Operator
Founding Member
I've done pocket carry for a long time, but to be honest I treat it mostly as a convenience type of thing. When I want to just drop a gun in my pocket and head out instead of strapping on a holster on my belt. But, I always use a pocket holster (been using a Blackhawk TecGrip a lot lately https://blackhawk.com/tecgrip-pocket-holsters-ambidextrous/). I do this a lot with my j-frame.

My question is, Ive been wanting to get a 911 in 9mm, but I'm not sure how to carry it. It's small enough for the pocket (more than small enough), but I don't want to stick that in my pocket cocked and locked. But, I also don't want to carry it hammer down. Am I being too paranoid on this and overthinking it?

Carrying a gun 'cocked and locked' is no different than carrying a striker fired gun. As long as you have a good pocket holster you shouldn't have to worry. Frankly, I'm more paranoid about carrying a striker fired gun than I am about a 'cocked and locked'.

I've done pocket carry for a long time, but to be honest I treat it mostly as a convenience type of thing. When I want to just drop a gun in my pocket and head out instead of strapping on a holster on my belt. But, I always use a pocket holster (been using a Blackhawk TecGrip a lot lately https://blackhawk.com/tecgrip-pocket-holsters-ambidextrous/). I do this a lot with my j-frame.

My question is, Ive been wanting to get a 911 in 9mm, but I'm not sure how to carry it. It's small enough for the pocket (more than small enough), but I don't want to stick that in my pocket cocked and locked. But, I also don't want to carry it hammer down. Am I being too paranoid on this and overthinking it?
I see no issue carrying " cocked and locked". I have always operated under the rule that every gun is loaded so precautions are taken to that end. My finger is the only safety I wish to contend with other than the palm swell safety of course. I don't see carrying double action as an issue either, as in the case of truly needing to draw your weapon in defense you will not notice the weight or travel of the trigger, only that the round fires and finds the intended target.

I have an EMP 4 and I will slip it in a back pocket for short term carry. It comes with a polymer paddle holster that is decent plus I bought a really good custom leather holster if it is going to be on all day. With a grip and manual safety you don't have to worry about blowing parts of your anatomy off. After all your finger is not on the trigger till your sights are on the target.

For me, I only carry "cocked and locked" guns in a holster on my belt, either IWB or OWB. I'd be uncomfortable with it any other way....

I have the 911 9mm, when I pocket carry its not "cocked and locked", just my preference, everyone should do what they are comfortable with.

With the pistol empty of course. Try drawing/firing from cocked and locked. Then try your preferred carry. Decision is do you wish to give your adversary the difference in time?

I can't see a reason to be unworried about it cocked and locked on your hip but then to worry about being cocked and locked in your pocket with a pocket holster. If it isn't going to go off when on your hip , it isn't going to go off in your pocket.

Back