testtest

Slow Down to Speed Up: The Secret To Effective Pistol Presentations

Good points, good video.

As Wyatt Earp said, "hurry up slowly". The red dot on pistols forces the shooter to bring the pistol to eye level, rather than bringing the head down to shoulder level to align the sights. Truth be told, many have been presenting the pistol incorrectly with iron sights for many years. I cannot count the times I have told my students to "bring the pistol to eye level". I don't know exactly how that tactical turtle head squat on the sights got started, but it is a time waster. I am convinced that proper presentation is why most shooters, including myself, find that they are much faster with a red dot that with iron sights once they have perfected the presentation.

As a people and training manufacturing manager I was successful in showing new employees proper technic, allowing them to practice slowly at first then as they developed good form had them work on speed. If you push for speed to soon then frustration sets in and mistakes are made or bad habits set in that are time consuming to correct.

Great article @Mike H.

Definitely like the idea of holster draws with 1R1: one round, reload, one round.

My instructor definitely focuses on form and smoothness, but also likes to to push me with a course of fire with multiple targets each requiring a fast double-tap where he loads and inserts a mag in my gun without me knowing the round count. It definitely forces me to be more aware of the condition of my gun when the slide is locked open, and to stay focused on doing what is required to finish the job.

A cop I know ( an idiot incidentally) is recovering from a 9mm wound to his leg. Guess how it got there ? It was a hollow point of some sort. Idiot says, " Good thing it didn't expand or I probably would have died". :rolleyes:

Two lessons from this. Never take practical or tactical advice from a cop who will let his drunk friends drive his patrol car and who will play chicken on the road with other cops from his department, knowing they will most likely not rat him out when they realize it's him.

When you are practicing your draw inside your house, UNLOAD YOUR GUN and practice your draw so often that keeping your ignorant finger off the GD trigger becomes muscle memory.

A cop I know ( an idiot incidentally) is recovering from a 9mm wound to his leg. Guess how it got there ? It was a hollow point of some sort. Idiot says, " Good thing it didn't expand or I probably would have died". :rolleyes:

Two lessons from this. Never take practical or tactical advice from a cop who will let his drunk friends drive his patrol car and who will play chicken on the road with other cops from his department, knowing they will most likely not rat him out when they realize it's him.

When you are practicing your draw inside your house, UNLOAD YOUR GUN and practice your draw so often that keeping your ignorant finger off the GD trigger becomes muscle memory.
It appears that the recruitment, selection, and training model broke down with the culprit. Is he still employed?

Hi,

Funny this should come up right now. It's exactly what I need. I've been getting sloppy lately and need to slow down to improve my skills. Great reminder. I cannot yet draw at my local range (a class is required) but I can certainly practice all these skills and drills with my laser cartridge in my basement range. ;)

1656101525128.png

I'll use my older 10-round magazines for practice. That way if dropping them on the concrete floor happens to break one, no big deal. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Back