testtest

Smyth Busters: Is a PCC a Good Home Defense Gun?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Those anonymous firearm experts on the Internet are saying a pistol caliber carbine (PCC) is not a good choice for a home defense gun. What do the Seekers of Truth, Brownells Gun Techs™ Caleb and Steve, have to say about that?

1659914448886.png

Last edited:
I disagree with these guys on a few things. Not the myth persay because I too believe a PCC is a decent HD weapon, just not for the same reasons grampa there thinks. i.e. any gun that makes noise is good. Burglars aren't looking for a gunfight, etc.. Burglars don't break into occupied homes in the middle of the night. Those are called home invaders. And they are usually prepared for a gun fight. And gramps and junior said caliber doesn't matter. Even going as far as bringing a 10/22 into the discussion. Yeah, it can do the job, but there are other weapons that will do it faster and with more certainty. That said, a 9mm PCC with HST in it, a 16" barrel and a 20 round magazine is probably going to be pretty quick and certain in most situations.

I just don’t think it gets much better than a SBR. Any center fire cartridge you choose should suffice. The longer radius sight picture, leads to better accuracy. Short barrel is just better in a home setting. Maybe that rifle gives you an intimidation advantage if the no goodnik turns tail all the better.

Back