testtest

SnapSafe Modular Series: The Ultimate Gun Safe?

i dunno, i think if a burglar had the tools, cuz he knows what you have, he can cut thru the seam with a grinding wheel..

that seam in the picture, provides a guide as where to cut.

nope, if i ever had to buy a safe, i'll pay the extras for delivery, as it is those guys are capable of doing the job.

1711638481684.png

i dunno, i think if a burglar had the tools, cuz he knows what you have, he can cut thru the seam with a grinding wheel..

nope, if i ever had to buy a safe, i'll pay the extras for delivery, as it is those guys are capable of doing the job.

View attachment 54904
Yea, it’s a nice concept, but myself, regular safe would be my choice

I’m you’re a person who moves regularly it’s not a bad option. (My son had a similar one for many years while an active duty Marine, changing duty stations every few years). His was a Zanotti-Very solid. It’s not as solid as my Browning but it’s a decent safe. Some I’ve seen are made of very light gauge metal-those tend to be a tad weak.

Like everything in life, we sometimes have to make allowances and/or exceptions. I'm sure most responsible gun owners would prefer a 'Fort Knox' type safe for his prized gun collection, but that just ain't always feasible. Somebody already mentioned those who move around a lot, then there are those who live in upstairs apartments that are limited in the size and weight capacities. Frankly I still have a pretty hd safe even after giving most of my stuff to my yard son when we moved to the institution (retirement community) about 5 years ago, but if I had not been able to have it for some reason, I see this as a viable substitute. I'd still want to protect my guns from dirt, dust, falling over, etc, and more than that even if it wasn't as strong as a regular safe, the noise a bad guy would make trying to get it open with a cut-off wheel, etc, would likely dissuade him from making the effort. Or, slow him down enough for the good guys to arrive. Jus' sayin'. jj

View attachment 54904
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. If the pieces are sufficiently flat where they meet, the seam is way to tight to get an angle grinder in there. It's going to be the same difficulty to cut into as a similar thickness "one piece" safe (which is also made of separate pieces of metal, just welded instead of bolted)

You definitely would have a hard time with fireproofing though, which is something you can get in heavier safes.

Also this beats the heck out of those light gauge locking containers that are sold at Wally world and similar stores and marketed as "gun safes", and might be the other consideration for those who don't want to deal with size and weight.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. If the pieces are sufficiently flat where they meet, the seam is way to tight to get an angle grinder in there. It's going to be the same difficulty to cut into as a similar thickness "one piece" safe (which is also made of separate pieces of metal, just welded instead of bolted)

You definitely would have a hard time with fireproofing though, which is something you can get in heavier safes.

Also this beats the heck out of those light gauge locking containers that are sold at Wally world and similar stores and marketed as "gun safes", and might be the other consideration for those who don't want to deal with size and weight.
yes, the seam will be tight, but at the same time, the seam will still be visible, making for a guide line.

making it easier for the cutting wheel to follow.

i have done this method a few times in the garage business, cutting open metal body panels.

Before Hornady bought them I looked at some just for modularity and is well "safe" from "prying " eyes. Price has trippled since the buy out. Still thinking about their doors only for a gun/reloading room. Wife wants me to build for that specifically.

If you’ve got an angle grinder, why muck about with a seam; just go through the friggin’ side, or top.

No safe will stop an angle grinder…
I have to agree with Hans...seen plenty of vids showing the top panel of even the best safes are the best place to get in...specifically with an angle grinder. 15-20 minutes by someone who knows what they are doing and any safe is toast (caveat...maybe there are safes with 2"-thick AR500 steel tops, but I haven't seen them). I believe what was explained to me once....a safe only buys you time....

I didn't read the article so not sure whether it was mentioned or not. But a lot of the questions and/or assertions here in the comments can be and probably were addressed by the actual material used. I would bet the material thickness is probably close to other comparable welded safes (typically 12-7 ga +/-), the actual material hardness is comparable (common alloys), and likely the bolts are hardened. So in reality, there's probably not too much difference in what it would take, or how hard it would be to open one up. Just a WAG!

A better idea than a single large hard to move safe is to buy a few smaller or mid sized safes and bolt them side by side as a better security option, as it would take a much longer time to defeat multiple safes to get to a collection than it would to get into one safe and clean out an entire collection.

A better idea than a single large hard to move safe is to buy a few smaller or mid sized safes and bolt them side by side as a better security option, as it would take a much longer time to defeat multiple safes to get to a collection than it would to get into one safe and clean out an entire collection.
I've been telling myself this since the day I heard about a safe buying time. 4 small cheap safes would take longer to breach than one big expensive (well-made) safe. If time is what we are buying, many small ones makes absolute sense.

So... I have to put it together and the Titan is 2 to 3 times more expensive than a similar welded safe? Great idea, but I'll pass on this one, I'm afraid.
we might as well buy a safe from Ikea, if we have to do any more work, than direct the movers to where it is going...huh..??

it says 2 people can easily move the pieces....

1) what if those people are senior citizens?

2) what if there isn't 2 people but only 1 person..??

3) what if the delivery company only does a "sidewalk delivery"?

meaning the driver literally drops it on your sidewalk..??? (i did just that working for Lowes making home deliveries of building supplies)

we might as well buy a safe from Ikea, if we have to do any more work, than direct the movers to where it is going...huh..??

meaning the driver literally drops it on your sidewalk..??? (i did just that working for Lowes making home deliveries of building supplies)
We recently bought a big fridge from Home Depot. They delivered it... and unboxed it on our back porch, then left. When I called to complain the lady said it was my fault - I didn't pay for installation. Other than hardware, the Depot won't be getting any of our business from here on out.

We recently bought a big fridge from Home Depot. They delivered it... and unboxed it on our back porch, then left. When I called to complain the lady said it was my fault - I didn't pay for installation. Other than hardware, the Depot won't be getting any of our business from here on out.
i'd pay for installation IF it were a gas appliance...and needed it to be hooked up, including a new flex line. but for anything electric..??

damn bastoidavitches had better bring it into my house.

we only bought a fridge from Lowes a few years ago, no issues with taking it into the house.

but frankly, i'd rather pay a tiny bit more, and buy from a REAL appliance store, as many times, they have service/repairmen.

if you take notice, those home improvement stores no longer have thier own drivers...they went to a logistics company, i think Home Depot went with Cardinal, and Lowes went with XPO.....(each a BIG trucking company)

this is why now, we have to specify "install" with delivery.......

Well, how 'bout that? I never knew IKEA sold gun safes! Will miracles never cease?

Back