testtest

So You Like Taking Guns Apart?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

TFB Armorer’s Bench #1

1628524831286.png

I usually do my own gun smithing when and if I can, I had some training from a good friend who worked at SSK Industries, I was also a Glock Armorer when I worked at my sheriff dept, Gen 3 only though, but if its something major I do have a local smith who does my work.

Until there were YOUTUBE videos I operated totally in the dark! You name it and there probably is a video that shows you how to take it apart and put it back together. Just never take a Remington Model 66 apart without a lot of guidance. :)

There's a lot of -REALLY- good stuff out there (well, there's also a lot of really bad stuff, but, yeah 😁 ).

Pertinent to some of our content here on The Armory Life, the Springer Precision YouTube Channel has excellent in-depth videos on the innards of the double-stack XDm handguns, and the SOTAR (School of the American Rifle) YouTube Channel, Instagram, as well as Facebook pages are tremendous resources for the DI AR15 platform.

There's a lot of -REALLY- good stuff out there (well, there's also a lot of really bad stuff, but, yeah 😁 ).

Pertinent to some of our content here on The Armory Life, the Springer Precision YouTube Channel has excellent in-depth videos on the innards of the double-stack XDm handguns, and the SOTAR (School of the American Rifle) YouTube Channel, Instagram, as well as Facebook pages are tremendous resources for the DI AR15 platform.
The internet might not be a good source like the members on this place :unsure: ;) 🥴 :rolleyes: o_O:sleep::sleep::whistle::whistle: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: .....well the ones here are most likely more helpful!

I’m ok with taking it down to clean and lube my weapons but beyond that; nope. I’m not punching out pins and working with small springs. If it breaks it goes back to the manufacturer for repair under warranty or I’ll find a gunsmith.
this is why when i first started out, i'd say that i'd rather not take apart my Glock. others would say, that they are the easiest guns to work on. so little by little, i'd take mine apart, and took it apart inside of a large plastic container, to catch those flying springs, which they never went flying.

my next project will be to fully disassemble one of my 1911's, my Tisas A-1..

been watching a few very good you tube experts do this.

On this subject…

A few years back, I was hanging around my LGS when this guy comes in with a shoebox.

Inside was a COMPLETELY stripped Norinco 1911. I mean, the only thing still attached were the damn sights.

He can’t get it back together, he’s completely frustrated, what will my dealer give for it?

Dealer looks in the box, laughs, says he won’t touch it…points to me, and says “this guy might be interested”.

Guy says, make me an offer.

$50? Says I.

Counters at $100…I figured he was getting the short end as it was, why really rub it in. Deal.

Amazingly, it was complete; and he even had the original box for it…

Still have it, although I just use it as a host for my Kimber .22 conversion.

With today's modern cleaning solutions and sonic cleaners, it is really not necessary to strip modern guns down to their basic parts unless you suspect a part is broken. Now, if you have purchased an antique that hadn't been cleaned in a hundred years then it may be necessary to clean each individual part of dried oil or rust. With older stuff there's lots of pictures and exploding views on the internet. I make a point to take pictures of guns as I tear them down if I'm worried about getting them back together. With today's phones and cameras that's the easy part.

this is why when i first started out, i'd say that i'd rather not take apart my Glock. others would say, that they are the easiest guns to work on. so little by little, i'd take mine apart, and took it apart inside of a large plastic container, to catch those flying springs, which they never went flying.

my next project will be to fully disassemble one of my 1911's, my Tisas A-1..

been watching a few very good you tube experts do this.
With 3 push pins it's easy peesy green and cheesy! Some might have a different amount of pins due too gens?

I’m going to take the 1911 frame apart on my Tisas or one of the RIAs… got a couple springers and my WC now, so I’m not overly concerned if I mess something up on one of the budget models.
Its just for learning…

I can recall the “all thumbs” feeling i had learning to field strip my first one. Recoil spring flying; 20 min and a backache moving kitchen stuff to find the spring plug (oughta just shoot those and forget the ammo. Dang things are deadly!); fiddling with getting the firing pin and plate coordinated into the frame (then taking it back out cause I forgot the extractor - even more fiddly that way).

Ah, well. At least I can take my time on frame lesson :)

I’m going to take the 1911 frame apart on my Tisas or one of the RIAs… got a couple springers and my WC now, so I’m not overly concerned if I mess something up on one of the budget models.
Its just for learning…

I can recall the “all thumbs” feeling i had learning to field strip my first one. Recoil spring flying; 20 min and a backache moving kitchen stuff to find the spring plug (oughta just shoot those and forget the ammo. Dang things are deadly!); fiddling with getting the firing pin and plate coordinated into the frame (then taking it back out cause I forgot the extractor - even more fiddly that way).

Ah, well. At least I can take my time on frame lesson :)
It’s a great way to learn…

Or a massive exercise in frustration.

YMMV.

Back