M1A™ TANKER RIFLE​

.308 | WALNUT​

AA9126-300x66.png

M1A™ SCOUT SQUAD™ RIFLE​

.308 | BLACK​

AA9122-300x66.png

M1A™ SCOUT SQUAD™ RIFLE​

.308 | WALNUT​

which one would you choose and why? Does wood vs composite play a roll? Thanks!

I'd take any of them if free and be happy.
I like a good wood stock as I think good grain and finish is drop dead sexy, BUT as a utilitarian tool I'd want the composite stock if I was buying one for myself.
I wouldn't be mad at myself for the scratches and dings in the stock I know it would get if it were wood.

Greater muzzle blast & velocity loss with the SOCOM & Tanker, whereas the Scout has the better balance and velocity vs the shorter while abit more manuverable than the Standard lengths. My Scout is the most practical version, although I don't have the shorter and wouldn't due to the factors above.

The Composite stocks are abit more damage/weather resistant than the wood especially in more humid and wet areas.
Composite stocks can be hydro dipped to apply camouflage patterns.

My .02

Last edited:
If forced to choose one of these models:

View attachment 17933

M1A™ SOCOM 16 RIFLE​

.308 | BLACK​

AA9622-300x66.png

M1A™ TANKER RIFLE​

.308 | WALNUT​

AA9126-300x66.png

M1A™ SCOUT SQUAD™ RIFLE​

.308 | BLACK​

AA9122-300x66.png

M1A™ SCOUT SQUAD™ RIFLE​

.308 | WALNUT​

Wood stocks are absolutely beautiful. However, once you get your first nick that can be a bit heartbreaking. Kind of like buying a new guitar and scratching it the first day.
if it’s going to be a bruiser get the composite. If it’s going to be a safe queen go with the wood.

No. The base stock fits all. Only with a Super Match is the stock abit different although a barreled action would fit in a SM stock.
Then if you got a rifle with a composite stock a GI walnut stock would fit. There are still plenty of GI issued stocks for sale on the internet or at local gun shows from time to time.

Then if you got a rifle with a composite stock a GI walnut stock would fit.

Yes.

GI issued stocks were either wood or fiberglass. Yes they're around in various states of condition, and prices are still not cheap for nice ones.

I have replaced all but one of my M14/M1A stocks with aluminum chassis stocks, the one wood stock that I continue to use is this Tiger striped Birch E2. The E2 stocks are beefier than a standard wood stock, very stiff. The Socom & Scout fit the E2 just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_6860.JPG
    IMG_6860.JPG
    702 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_6861.JPG
    IMG_6861.JPG
    492.3 KB · Views: 306
I have replaced all but one of my M14/M1A stocks with aluminum chassis stocks, the one wood stock that I continue to use is this Tiger striped Birch E2. The E2 stocks are beefier than a standard wood stock, very stiff. The Socom & Scout fit the E2 just fine.
OMG, that's beautiful. Just stunning the way it grabs the light.
How you digging that polytech? A buddy has one and will not part with it. (Greedy bastard) it does everything it is asked.

OMG, that's beautiful. Just stunning the way it grabs the light.
How you digging that polytech? A buddy has one and will not part with it. (Greedy bastard) it does everything it is asked.
Thank you. I am really happy with how it turned out, and I think it needs another coat of pure tung oil about now. The Poly Tech has been domesticated with a USGI parts kit, Smith Enterprise did the work.

The E2 was in the raw when I received it, and it was coated with an Iodine based preservative. Here is a picture taken when I first started sanding on it.... I think my Socom looked pretty sexy in it.

Attachments

• IMG_3567.JPG
    IMG_3567.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 250
  • TE2-Suppressed (2).JPG
    TE2-Suppressed (2).JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Thank you. I am really happy with how it turned out, and I think it needs another coat of pure tung oil about now. The Poly Tech has been domesticated with a USGI parts kit, Smith Enterprise did the work.

The E2 was in the raw when I received it, and it was coated with an Iodine based preservative. Here is a picture taken when I first started sanding on it.... I think my Socom looked pretty sexy in it.
Very nice, beautiful, good work!

If forced to choose one of these models:

View attachment 17933

M1A™ SOCOM 16 RIFLE​

.308 | BLACK​

AA9622-300x66.png

M1A™ TANKER RIFLE​

.308 | WALNUT​

AA9126-300x66.png

M1A™ SCOUT SQUAD™ RIFLE​

.308 | BLACK​

AA9122-300x66.png

M1A™ SCOUT SQUAD™ RIFLE​

.308 | WALNUT​

"M1A™ SCOUT SQUAD™ RIFLE​

.308 | WALNUT"​

Is my vote:
"Beauty marks" only add "character" and meaning to wood, each one is a valuable memory of something done or not done right.

Back