testtest

Something New/Something Different (10mm)

dadoser

Elite
22LR, 38/.357, 9mm, 223/556, 300AAC, 12 gauge..............
....for years I told myself I did not, or would not add another caliber to the collection. Stocking up and maintaing the cache for those calibers was enough. That idea made it easy to avoiding the temptations of add .40, 45, 308, 7.62x39, etc to the collection.

Well, I blew that this week and added a 10mm.

The announcement by Sig for their 3.8" compensated P320 in 10mm really made me start looking at adding a 10mm to the collection.

Based on a little googling and youtube viewing, I came up with a list of options -
(I am not really into 1911/2011s - I looked at a few but none excited me. That Sig P220 Legion was intriguing - but low capacity and the price was outside my current budget......especially factoring in the ammo I will buy with it.)

I went to 3 different LGS to look at/grip - Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XDM, Sig P320 Xten (non-compensated), and FN 510.

No plans to EDC it - more for range work, fun, ....and in retirement in a couple years - desert or high forest carry when hiking.

I was comfortable going with any of the 5 above, the the most important factor for me was grip - as I have medium sized hands, and my thinking is with 10mm the most important thing for me shooting it will be grip.

I own a couple Glock 19s - but the 10mm Glock was eliminated quickly as the grip in 10mm is just too blocky for me. S&W and Sig grip were ok - though different, but I think either would have worked. The grip on the Springfield came in 2nd. If I really get into 10mm, I think an XDM would be my next.

But the grip on the FN 510 was kinda "goldilocks" for me. It definitely fit my hand(s) better than the others. I went with the 510 MRD. 4.01" barrel is perfect for my needs. No plans to suppress 10mm (If I wanted a larger caliber to suppress, I'd have gone 45 ACP). Also that it came with suppressor height sights and plates for adding various dots was a plus. So losing the threaded barrel and the rear sight shroud and saving $200 vs the 510 Tactical made sense to me. I went with the FDE to differentiate it from my 9mm (mostly black or grey) and it just looks good to me in FDE.

Everything I shoot now has a green dot on it - so I will probably add one to this in the near future - we'll see.

(We are at the beginning stage of a major kitchen+ home remodel - so it may be a few weeks before I can actually get the inaugural rounds through this thing.)

1699543411254.png

Last edited:
....for years I told myself I did not, or would not add another caliber to the collection. Stocking up and maintaing the cache for those calibers was enough. That idea made it easy to avoiding the temptations of add .40, 45, 308, 7.62x39, etc to the collection.

The announcement by Sig for their 3.8" compensated P320 in 10mm really made me start looking at adding a 10mm to the collection.

Based on a little googling and youtube viewing, I came up with a list of options -
(I am not really into 1911/2011s - I looked at a few but none excited me. That Sig P220 Legion was intriguing - but low capacity and the price was outside my current budget......especially factoring in the ammo I will buy with it.)

I went to 3 different LGS to look at/grip - Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XDM, Sig P320 Xten (non-compensated), and FN 510.

No plans to EDC it - more for range work, fun, ....and in retirement in a couple years - desert or high forest carry when hiking.

I was comfortable going with any of the 5 above, the the most important factor for me was grip - as I have medium sized hands, and my thinking is with 10mm the most important thing for me shooting it will be grip.

I own a couple Glock 19s - but the 10mm Glock was eliminated quickly as the grip in 10mm is just too blocky for me. S&W and Sig grip were ok - though different, but I think either would have worked. The grip on the Springfield came in 2nd for me. If I really get into 10mm, I think an XDM would be my next.

But the grip on the FN 510 was kinda "goldilocks" for me. I definitely fit my hand(s) better than the others. I went with the 510 MRD. 4.01" barrel is perfect for my needs. No plans to suppress 10mm (If I wanted a larger caliber to suppress, I'd have gone 45 ACP). So losing the threaded barrel and the rear sight shroud and saving $200 vs the 510 Tactical made sense to me. I went with the FDE to differentiate it from my 9mm (mostly black or grey) and it just looks good to me in FDE.

Everything I shoot not has a greet dot on it - so I will probably add one to this in the near future - we'll see.

(We are at the beginning stage of a major kitchen+ home remodel - so it may be a few weeks before I can actually get the inaugural rounds through this thing.)

View attachment 46873
I’ve been looking at one of those. I’d probably go with the Tactical version, but that’s me.

I like the idea of running the lower-power JHP loads; the idea of a .40 level recoil in a big, heavy pistol has a lot going for it.

Say, 180gr at around 1000fps? It’ll be sweet.

I own a couple Glock 19s - but the 10mm Glock was eliminated quickly as the grip in 10mm is just too blocky for me. S&W and Sig grip were ok - though different, but I think either would have worked. The grip on the Springfield came in 2nd. If I really get into 10mm, I think an XDM would be my next.

But the grip on the FN 510 was kinda "goldilocks" for me. It definitely fit my hand(s) better than the others. I went with the 510 MRD. 4.01" barrel is perfect for my needs. No plans to suppress 10mm (If I wanted a larger caliber to suppress, I'd have gone 45 ACP). So losing the threaded barrel and the rear sight shroud and saving $200 vs the 510 Tactical made sense to me. I went with the FDE to differentiate it from my 9mm (mostly black or grey) and it just looks good to me in FDE.

Everything I shoot not has a greet dot on it - so I will probably add one to this in the near future - we'll see.

View attachment 46873
Congrats on the new gun .
Sweet looking ride.

Gun day is Fun Day !!😀

Congrats on the new pistol. Personally, I think 10mm is a great and very versatile caliber, and I'm glad to see it's made such a huge comeback in the last few years, and that we have so many new options - and especially options that aren't boat anchors. The conventional wisdom that you need a really heavy pistol to "handle the recoil of 10mm" is way over-blown, imo.

Back