testtest

SouthCoast Health President and CEO arrested (state of MA)

Red Flag laws go way past that, in regards to domestic violence that’s a no brainer but a law that also allows confiscation based on just someone’s dislike of firearms is unconstitutional. Many reports have surfaced of individuals having guns confiscated because someone knows that individual has guns and even though no threats were made the guns were taken. That is abuse of the system.
I agree.
I always felt like its a “scorned individual” law.
Example:
Spouse catches the other cheating. Divorce gets nasty and heated. Spouse makes up false statements to Police saying the other “threatened” or whatever they want to say to be vindictive to get your stuff confiscated.

I imagine it happens a lot

I agree.
I always felt like its a “scorned individual” law.
Example:
Spouse catches the other cheating. Divorce gets nasty and heated. Spouse makes up false statements to Police saying the other “threatened” or whatever they want to say to be vindictive to get your stuff confiscated.

I imagine it happens a lot
“Scorned Individual” well said. And @HayesGreener I agree also with your statement on broad scope however many jurisdictions will error on the side of caution since the fallout of doing nothing and then have a situation go south and result in tragic event would be front page news.

As described the law there seems to be too broad in terms of affiants and lacking in due process.
Aside from the obvious due process concerns I wonder what kind of shape your firearms are in when you get them back? I believe Va's Red Flag law has a provision that LE is not responsible for any damage that might occur while in their possession. I imagine in more liberal areas of the country your guns are just thrown on top of each other in the trunk of a police car for a bumpy ride to God knows where. My son says his dept really has no extra space to store collections of firearms. Probably the same elsewhere.

“Scorned Individual” well said. And @HayesGreener I agree also with your statement on broad scope however many jurisdictions will error on the side of caution since the fallout of doing nothing and then have a situation go south and result in tragic event would be front page news.
A guy by the name of Billy Shakespeare said it the best: ‘Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned’ :devilish:

Red Flag laws go way past that, in regards to domestic violence that’s a no brainer but a law that also allows confiscation based on just someone’s dislike of firearms is unconstitutional. Many reports have surfaced of individuals having guns confiscated because someone knows that individual has guns and even though no threats were made the guns were taken. That is abuse of the system.
Yup, understand all of that. Was just attempting to give context to the info in the article and why in MA he had his firearms temporarily confiscated by police at the time of arrest.

In most states, your firearms aren’t confiscated by police simply because you get arrested for assault, especially when you don’t use any firearms while committing assault.

We have been in the era of guilty until proven innocent for years now.
as a former truck driver, i can say, that is 1000% true.

one little, and i do mean little fender-bender, and you'd be surprised the treatment a trucker gets from the safety dept. and do you think that once cleared, the trucker gets an apology..??

putting one's finger up his ass is faster, than that apology....

Flo
Aside from the obvious due process concerns I wonder what kind of shape your firearms are in when you get them back? I believe Va's Red Flag law has a provision that LE is not responsible for any damage that might occur while in their possession. I imagine in more liberal areas of the country your guns are just thrown on top of each other in the trunk of a police car for a bumpy ride to God knows where. My son says his dept really has no extra space to store collections of firearms. Probably the same elsewhere.
Florida law allows for the guns to go to a third party. Departments don't want them, it's an accountability nightmare.

i guess then, that a collection of 40 (like the CEO HAD) would be better spent not even being in his collection after all.

like maybe only 1 or 2 instead..??

i'm thinking the money lost not only on the guns, but the ammo as well.

again, i think the bottom line here is......no booze in the house, if one drinks to excess, which apparently that guy did.

or have more than one tv to watch..????

that's what started all of this, an argument over a stupid tv channel.....

Red Flag laws seldom prevent additional crimes.
Can't you see that someday it will be applied to Patriots/Conservatives/nonconformists?

Why didn't they confiscate the booze? Or bring in another TV?

Innocent until proven guilty. Taking his firearms is not gathering evidence if the crime did not involve a firearm.
You are correct however unless you’ve been living under a rock or in a cave there have been to many shootings that have happened in the past while the investigation does a slow crawl in what exactly happened. The law is designed to prevent preventable tragedies.

Innocent until proven guilty. Taking his firearms is not gathering evidence if the crime did not involve a firearm.
The ostensible reason is that if someone is accused of domestic violence and has already assaulted a family member, that they may be at risk of using a firearm against those family members.

I’m not advocating for red flag laws, just explaining their logic in MA.

The ostensible reason is that if someone is accused of domestic violence and has already assaulted a family member, that they may be at risk of using a firearm against those family members.

I’m not advocating for red flag laws, just explaining their logic in MA.
If that someone is so inclined, that person can still be as dangerous.

Back