testtest

Spec-Ops Holographic Sight Zeroing

10mmLife

Staff member
Founding Member
The video clip below is from the Vigilance Elite YouTube channel which is run by former Navy Seal & CIA contractor Shawn Ryan.

Shawn Ryan also runs an awesome podcast called ”The Shawn Ryan show" which is also on YouTube, Spotify, and a few other streaming services.

To me the techniques used in the video make good sense and I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the videos content and maybe share some techniques you use to zero an RDS or holographic sight.

Last edited:
To me the techniques used in the video make good sense and I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the videos content and maybe share some techniques you use to zero an RDS or holographic sight.
Practical and useful explanation/diagramming of the spreads from twenty-five to three hundred for 25’, 36’, 50’ and 100’ zeros.
I have mine currently set for 50’ where the range maximum is 100 yards.

Soon I will be regularly using a range with a 300’ max, so I think I try out a 36’ zero. Makes sense to me.

I do exactly the same thing for handguns, but in a 25 yd space. If you zero a handgun at 25 yds, you’ll need to adjust roughly 1 - 1.5 inches at 10 yds. If you zero at 10 yds you will shoot as much as 4 inches high at 25. Zeroing at the longer distance is much more forgiving, than zeroing at the closer target. Also with a pistol red dot you don’t have hash marks for holdover/under. I find it easier to aim 1 inch high at 10 yds than I do judging 4 inches low at 25.

Practical and useful explanation/diagramming of the spreads from twenty-five to three hundred for 25’, 36’, 50’ and 100’ zeros.
I have mine currently set for 50’ where the range maximum is 100 yards.

Soon I will be regularly using a range with a 300’ max, so I think I try out a 36’ zero. Makes sense to me.
I'll also try the 36yd zero next range visit.

I would only zero at 36 yards if you plan on shooting 300 plus yards. With a non magnified optic on an AR this isn’t a consideration for me. I do have a .223 Wylde which I shoot longer distances but I have a Bushnell Elite 6500 on it zeroed at 200 yards.
I shoot out to 300yds with iron sights and holographic/RDS sights regularly at steel silhouette targets. I use scoped rifles out to that range and further also but only for more precise shooting.

It maybe a good time for you to test those variables and report what you find on here.
I do have 1 holo sight, but might not be the 1 he was talking about. 1 reason for the variables is change in velocity due to barrel length. That explains most of it. From 11.5 to 24" barrel lengths (5 different lengths) with not knowing which ammo was tested. I guess I might be able to use QL and QT (quick load and quiet target) for drop for comparison. I wouldn't need the optic, just target distances (he stated what they are). Seeing how the 36 yard 0 (possible m4 configuration) is tighter with the benefit of less spread I'm not doubting. He did his homework if done correctly (most likely yes) then it speaks for itself. Will longer barrel give more spread 0'd at 7 yards? I might believe so since only going 300 yard. Reasoning behind that is the barrel will be pointed down more than a shorter barrel with less compisation. Still it would be a good test!

Last edited:
Back