testtest

Spidey senses were tingling

Sld1959

Hellcat
Took my wife to the dentist today and sat in the car waiting. A black truck pulled up and two guys got out and went inside. They were both wearing fanny packs which were weighed down like something heavy was inside, and one had a small day pack or school type back pack over his shoulder. This looked very odd to me and set my antenna to twitching.

I watched them carefully thru the big front picture window and prayed that nothing more would occur. Thankfully they conducted thier business and left.

It sure did set my spidy sense a tingle though.

I was visiting family in California when a guy came in the restaurant front door wearing a dark hoodie drawn over his head and went directly to the cashier. I thought I was witnessing a robbery, so I immediately reached for my CCW, which was not there. I forgot I was not carrying due to state law. What a helpless feeling to be unarmed. No one at the table had any clue what was going on. As it turns out the individual was a regular customer.

After so many years on the job, I enter a room like searching for boogeymen and terrorists, I insist on a table in the back, and take the gunfighter seat. My posse meets for lunch every Friday. It is a competition to see who arrives first to get the gunfighter chair. Some call it paranoia. I just say, well, you never know. And I wear shooting glasses everywhere I go.

Always, without fail. After years, the Wonderful One knows our seating assignments!
I've managed to do it for years without anyone ever wondering or asking about it.

My wife on the other hand did used to ask me " What are you looking at" a lot. At first I just told her I was a people watcher. She's slick though, she figured it out. Then rolled her eyes. She still makes fun of me for going to what she considers drastic measures to remediate the whole "Soft target" thing with the house(s). Not so much for doing it I suppose, she just thinks the terminology is ridiculous. " Are we hard yet" she would ask. She overheard me talking to my jarhead buddy while I was configuring my Comp Tac International ( Thanks again @SimonRL ) for FBI Cant. She's sure "Cant" is a made up, tacticool term too.

Women. Can't live with them. Pass the beer nuts.

After so many years on the job, I enter a room like searching for boogeymen and terrorists, I insist on a table in the back, and take the gunfighter seat. My posse meets for lunch every Friday. It is a competition to see who arrives first to get the gunfighter chair. Some call it paranoia. I just say, well, you never know. And I wear shooting glasses everywhere I go.
I always do the same.

A couple of weekends ago, I was with my Mom going into Walmart. We got out of my truck, she was walking around my truck when this douchebag in a small pickup backed out of his space a few cars over, and sped up coming towards us. She had gotten out of his way, and my hand automatically went to my CCW. Luckily, he took his foot off the gas as he came close, but I was shocked at my response.

I try to sit facing the door and am always aware of the nearest exit.
1693532018813.png

Took my wife to the dentist today and sat in the car waiting. A black truck pulled up and two guys got out and went inside. They were both wearing fanny packs which were weighed down like something heavy was inside, and one had a small day pack or school type back pack over his shoulder. This looked very odd to me and set my antenna to twitching.

I watched them carefully thru the big front picture window and prayed that nothing more would occur. Thankfully they conducted thier business and left.

That's why I don't sit in my car while my wife is inside. If things are so squirrely that my "Spidey Senses" are tingling then I need to be in there with my wife.

My wife and I go out to eat maybe once a year. When we do I don't insist on sitting with my back to the wall where I can see the entrance. What I do insist on is a table in the back as far away from the entrance as I can get. I do that because my experience has taught me that if there's any trouble it's going to be at the entrance and I want to be as far away from that as I can get.

Last edited:
That's why I don't sit in my car while my wife is inside. If things are so squirrely that my "Spidey Senses" are tingling then I need to be in there with my wife.

My wife and I go out to eat maybe once a year. When we do I don't insist on sitting with my back to the wall where I can see the entrance. What I do insist on is a table in the back as far away from the entrance as I can get. I do that because my experience has taught me that if there's any trouble it's going to be at the entrance and I want to be as far away from that as I can get.
That might be ideal if they had an open lobby, it has not teopened since covid. No accompanying patients.

A funny story from a long time ago, i knew a braggart and this dude was a real bad ass(in his own mind of course) and i didn't know him real well, i tried to avoid his never ending bragging. somehow this topic came up and he said i'm the guy sitting in the back of the room facing the door as i am always prepared for any situation.

So i told him yep and i am the reason you need to sit and watch the door. yeah i was lyin but it was funny at the time and he didn't say anything else. matter of fact i never seen the guy again. think one of us moved. been a very long time ago. i mean we were young pups back then in a tavern with swords. that's all they had back in the day.

Reading to comments gave me a funny thought…
A restaurant owner walks in and asks the hostess, “Why are all these people sitting with their backs to the wall?”
The hostess replied, “Oh, this is 1st annual in-person meeting of the SA Forum Members.”
True story. C’mon man!

Very good situational awareness.

Back