testtest

Springfield Armory Day today at a LGS

Bear007

Custom
I didn't have a lot of time since I had my tired 3 1/2 yo grandson with me, Pop Pop day, so I only shot the Hellion.

The Hellion:
I got to put a few quick rounds downrange in the Hellion. I have to say I shot it fine with the stock sights even though it felt strange compared to an AR-15. There felt like there was a longer reach than my AR-15 for the grip and trigger. The trigger pull was a little long, stage 1, but expected since I read all the reviews when it was released. Stage 2 firing the round was fine, kinda right in the middle, not too hard or too easy. What was also a little different, but again not unexpected, was it felt like I could feel a lot of oscillation during the bolt cycling. I think this is just because everything is happening that much closer to you than with an AR-15. All in all, a nice shooting rifle with completely different ergonomics that just takes a little getting use to, IMO.

The Hellcat Pro:
I have been saving for a Hellcat RDP after shooting my sister's so well, but wait ... I didn't shoot it today but just holding the Hellcat Pro fit my hand so well that I may have changed my mind. It's also my first time really looking down the very bright U sights since I just used the Wasp on my sister's gun. The sights, the feel in my hand, 15 rounds, the gun size all seem to be a perfect fit to my wants, except for I would prefer a manual safety. I know some feel differently about manual safeties but I have a very curious and FAST 3 1/2 yo grandson that can grab things faster than one would think. He even dove his hand down my pocket and grabbed my pocket pistol once when my hands were full. Yep, I need a couple with manual safety around him and feel I may for a good number years yet.

The good news is the SA rep Rick said he believes there may be a Hellcat Pro MS coming out in a month or so, so I didn't buy it today, though I did have my card out before we talked about the MS. I will wait a little while longer.

XD9 Elite Compact:
This one surprised me. It didn't really fit my hand comfortably. I've spent time on the SA website drooling over the XD Elite 10mm. I guess that dream has dimmed a little now even though it is still one cool looking gun.

SA35:
This fit my hand ok but it's like nothing wanted to be there anymore after the Hellcat Pro. It looked like a great gun and well made but I just don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling about it and all the 1911's on the table.

Saint Edge AR-15:
Very light and nimble, felt great holding and shouldering. It looks phenomenal too. It is definitely another one I'd love to add with my SA Victor AR-10.

The only bad thing on this rifle was the Trijcon scope on top. The eye relief was so close I'd be afraid to shoot it.

Conclusion:
There were still others to ogle but my time was short with my little monster man in tow. I got a nice SA t-shirt and drink coozie too. If you ever see a Springfield Armory Day at your LGS, it is definitely the only way to see and play with all your favorites ... and maybe end up with a new favorite as I did.

Be safe, shoot well and enjoy!

Hey Bear, I know you're in Pa., did you go to the event held at the Heritage Guild in Easton today? (An email they sent me indicated they were having one by SA today (but no, unfortunately I wasn't in attendance :confused:)). Anyways, sounds like you (and your Grandson), had quite an eventful and fun Saturday today. (Thanks for your write-up on each firearm you tried/held, it was very descriptive and informative). (y)

I went to Keystone Shooting Range in Cranberry Twp in western PA, 9 miles south of me. 2 weekends ago SA was at Grice Gun Shop (largest gun store in PA but 2 hours away) for 3 days but I missed it.
Interesting. Looks like they were also in Eastern Pa. in Easton which is right on the border with NJ. It's about 30 miles south of me, where I have shot and bought several firearms from them previously.

Interesting. Looks like they were also in Eastern Pa. in Easton which is right on the border with NJ. It's about 30 miles south of me, where I have shot and bought several firearms from them previously.
BET7, do you ever ride over to Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield, PA? Being the largest gun store in PA they do have great prices and huge stock, just wish it was a little closer, 2 hours.

The store is so busy they keep palettes of the popular guns in a warehouse next door and call runners on their radios to keep bringing them over. Their sales counter stock runs out early in the day. My salesman told me all employees have to stay at least 1 hour after close everyday restocking what they can.

It's a busy place any time of any day. I remember the buying craze when Obama was elected, they just moved a lot of stuff out of the way and brought the palettes of guns right into the store floor outside the counters and just kept passing guns around the counter and had 10 girls at a table in the next room doing background checks as fast as they could.

The store is so busy they keep palettes of the popular guns in a warehouse next door and call runners on their radios to keep bringing them over. Their sales counter stock runs out early in the day. My salesman told me all employees have to stay at least 1 hour after close everyday restocking what they can.

It's a busy place any time of any day. I remember the buying craze when Obama was elected, they just moved a lot of stuff out of the way and brought the palettes of guns right into the store floor outside the counters and just kept passing guns around the counter and had 10 girls at a table in the next room doing background checks as fast as they could.
It was during Obama's re-election in 2012 (and his talk of banning AR15's), that brought me to Cabelas to purchase my first 2 guns in may collection (Bushmaster XM-15 ORC, and S&W M&M 9mm V1). They'd get 3 ARs in per day and they would sellout within 30 minutes after receiving them. It was by pure luck I got one, and when I asked for it, a woman behind me said she wanted one too (2 out of 3 for the day gone in less than 5 minutes). Cabelas had a section with computers that one would fill out the form (help provided if required, by several employees running from computer to computer), then after passing BGC, sign the printed out forms.

That place in Clearfield sounds awesome, I'd like to visit it one day.

The first section of the store is all rifles, all the way around the room with racks of used rifles on the floor isles. The 2nd section of the store is all handguns. The glass handgun counter, 3 shelves deep, is rectangular probably 24'x12' in the middle of the room. The used handgun glass counter is against one of the walls. When I bought during Obama it was shoulder to shoulder all the way around the counter, 3 people deep. It took 2 hours to get to the counter and then 2 hours waiting behind everyone that came before you getting their checks. No real choice but wait back then, everywhere else was out of guns.

I didn't have a lot of time since I had my tired 3 1/2 yo grandson with me, Pop Pop day, so I only shot the Hellion.

The Hellion:
I got to put a few quick rounds downrange in the Hellion. I have to say I shot it fine with the stock sights even though it felt strange compared to an AR-15. There felt like there was a longer reach than my AR-15 for the grip and trigger. The trigger pull was a little long, stage 1, but expected since I read all the reviews when it was released. Stage 2 firing the round was fine, kinda right in the middle, not too hard or too easy. What was also a little different, but again not unexpected, was it felt like I could feel a lot of oscillation during the bolt cycling. I think this is just because everything is happening that much closer to you than with an AR-15. All in all, a nice shooting rifle with completely different ergonomics that just takes a little getting use to, IMO.

The Hellcat Pro:
I have been saving for a Hellcat RDP after shooting my sister's so well, but wait ... I didn't shoot it today but just holding the Hellcat Pro fit my hand so well that I may have changed my mind. It's also my first time really looking down the very bright U sights since I just used the Wasp on my sister's gun. The sights, the feel in my hand, 15 rounds, the gun size all seem to be a perfect fit to my wants, except for I would prefer a manual safety. I know some feel differently about manual safeties but I have a very curious and FAST 3 1/2 yo grandson that can grab things faster than one would think. He even dove his hand down my pocket and grabbed my pocket pistol once when my hands were full. Yep, I need a couple with manual safety around him and feel I may for a good number years yet.

The good news is the SA rep Rick said he believes there may be a Hellcat Pro MS coming out in a month or so, so I didn't buy it today, though I did have my card out before we talked about the MS. I will wait a little while longer.

XD9 Elite Compact:
This one surprised me. It didn't really fit my hand comfortably. I've spent time on the SA website drooling over the XD Elite 10mm. I guess that dream has dimmed a little now even though it is still one cool looking gun.

SA35:
This fit my hand ok but it's like nothing wanted to be there anymore after the Hellcat Pro. It looked like a great gun and well made but I just don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling about it and all the 1911's on the table.

Saint Edge AR-15:
Very light and nimble, felt great holding and shouldering. It looks phenomenal too. It is definitely another one I'd love to add with my SA Victor AR-10.

The only bad thing on this rifle was the Trijcon scope on top. The eye relief was so close I'd be afraid to shoot it.

Conclusion:
There were still others to ogle but my time was short with my little monster man in tow. I got a nice SA t-shirt and drink coozie too. If you ever see a Springfield Armory Day at your LGS, it is definitely the only way to see and play with all your favorites ... and maybe end up with a new favorite as I did.

Be safe, shoot well and enjoy!
I don’t know how old you are - or anybody else here - but I sincerely hope you get to teach your grandson your fine hobby someday!
😉

Glad you had fun with the little guy 3 1/2 I bet he is fast
1649549620087.jpeg

Sorry, couldn’t resist……😬😬😬😬

Back