testtest

Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM: Magnum Opus of Self-Defense Handguns

SATRP

Master Class
Founding Member
The EMP 3 9MM is the most reliable and accurate of any concealed carry handgun I've carried, and that especially includes revolvers.

An extremely impressive and tactically advantageous fact of the EMP 3 9MM is managed recoil, even when firing 147 grain Fed HST LE standard pressure ammo. That's my only choice for self-defense ammo. Watch the EMP 3 9MM's muzzle remain on target during rapid fire.

In my opinion, the magnum opus of CCW guns, and I've carried more than a few:

I know that the EMP 3 is expensive. Defending my life is worth its cost. Cost is not a consideration if, God forbid, the magnum opus of self-defense handguns were necessary to defend my kids' lives or protect them from great bodily injury.

I love revolvers as much as anyone. Reality is they're not tactical weapons which is why no Western law enforcement agency of which I'm aware allows its cops to carry them. The EMP 3 is definitively tactical.

I will cop to being a 1911-A1 aficionado. In my opinion, the 1911-A1 is the magnum opus of handgun designs. The EMP 3 9MM is darn close enough to be considered a 1911-A1. That means muscle memory transfer.

I live in a locale when I can wear shorts about 360 days a year. I can comfortably slip my EMP 3 9MM in a front pocket of a pair of shorts. The reality is I can't remember the last time I've carried a handgun. I live in an extremely safe city, and I'm well practiced avoiding places I ought not go.

Anyway, I saw the above linked video this morning and reflected upon one of my wiser handgun purchases.

If you're considering a 1911-A1 self-defense handgun for daily carry, there's only one I'd recommend: Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM.

Caveat: I'd not seen nor fired a copy of Springfield Armory's 4" Professional Model 9MM.

I like watching Hickok 45 videos thanks for sharing this one on the EMP 3 9mm.
Good Morning ifithitu,

You're welcome.

I like Hickok 45,, too. His only intellectual deficiency is his devotion to Glock (written in jest).

I stumbled across that video and another of rapid firing a copies of the EMP 3 9MM. I usually FF parts of videos that solicit advertising $$$. In the two videos I saw, including Hickok's, the ease of keeping an EMP 3 9MM's muzzle on target during rapid fire was reinforced. A self-defense handgun's muzzle must remain on a threat. Reacquiring sight picture due to excessive recoil might be a fatal tactical disadvantage.

I've never hesitated to recommend the Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM for self-defense. It's definitively reliable, phenomenally accurate, more simple than easy to maintain sight picture, and effortless to conceal carry.

Well I am not into personally saying which handgun is the best. The EMP is a good choice, but so is the S&W Shield, Glock 26, and lots of people like the Sig P365. You also said the EMP is better then a revolver, this is where I will politely disagree, a well made revolver is more dependable, durable and accurate, plus they don’t jamb, have feeding issues and are not ammo sensitive. The EMP is a good choice, don't get me wrong, but it’s far from being the best. Whatever you choose for self defense, you got to have faith in it, practice with it, but everyone has there opinion on this subject, so nobody is wrong, nobody is right, it’s just a personal preference.

Well I am not into personally saying which handgun is the best. The EMP is a good choice, but so is the S&W Shield, Glock 26, and lots of people like the Sig P365. You also said the EMP is better then a revolver, this is where I will politely disagree, a well made revolver is more dependable, durable and accurate, plus they don’t jamb, have feeding issues and are not ammo sensitive. The EMP is a good choice, don't get me wrong, but it’s far from being the best. Whatever you choose for self defense, you got to have faith in it, practice with it, but everyone has there opinion on this subject, so nobody is wrong, nobody is right, it’s just a personal preference.
I agree 100%. Self-defense weapons are products of personal choice. For me, te Springfield Armory EMP 3 is magnum opus.

I qualified today. It was the first time I've had my magnum opus, AKA: Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM at a range in almost a year. I grabbed a few practice rounds. I didn't need them. I qualified on my first attempt.

My EMP 3 is the sweetest shooting handgun I own. so far, it's been flawless. Its accuracy is amazing. I can conceal it in a pants pocket. There is not a thing I don;t love about my EMP 3.

I bought 2 boxes of 50 of 147 grain Fed HST LE standard pressure rounds. They're up to close to 30 bucks a box. I plan to put a box through my EMP 3 later this week or early next week while I'm in Southern Utah.

I EDC an EMP4 CC. It is accurate, and easy to conceal. I carried a number of striker fired pistols prior to getting the EMP. The reason I carried them was because a 1911A1 just got to heavy to wear all day for this old man. The EMP was a find, after shooting and carrying a 1911 for a number of decades it is nice to have something I can run on muscle memory.

I was at my local gun shop yesterday, they had the SA EMP in .40 S&W, two tone model, I really liked it, but for me it was kinda heavy especially if you have the mag loaded. I almost bought it, but went with something a little lighter for CCW. I still may go back and get it.

I was at my local gun shop yesterday, they had the SA EMP in .40 S&W, two tone model, I really liked it, but for me it was kinda heavy especially if you have the mag loaded. I almost bought it, but went with something a little lighter for CCW. I still may go back and get it.
Good Morning Annihilator,

The .40 S&W is an extremely powerful cartridge. I like it a lot. I like the Sig P239 a lot. I've fired a Sig P239 chambered for .40 S&W. Even with the additional weight of the Sig P239, recoil was substantial. It was difficult to keep its muzzle on a silhouette target.

Hence, I bought an EMP 3 9MM. Heavy 147 grain bullets are very easily managed by the excellently engineered EMP 3 9MM. The EMP 3 9MM's recoil is easiest to managed of all guns I've concealed carried.

My recommendation would be an EMP 3 9MM. However, I will admit to having zero experience with an EMP .40 S&W. For all I know, its recoil might be easier to manage than recoil of an EMP 3 9MM.

Good Morning Annihilator,

The .40 S&W is an extremely powerful cartridge. I like it a lot. I like the Sig P239 a lot. I've fired a Sig P239 chambered for .40 S&W. Even with the additional weight of the Sig P239, recoil was substantial. It was difficult to keep its muzzle on a silhouette target.

Hence, I bought an EMP 3 9MM. Heavy 147 grain bullets are very easily managed by the excellently engineered EMP 3 9MM. The EMP 3 9MM's recoil is easiest to managed of all guns I've concealed carried.

My recommendation would be an EMP 3 9MM. However, I will admit to having zero experience with an EMP .40 S&W. For all I know, its recoil might be easier to manage than recoil of an EMP 3 9MM.
Morning Sir,
I have no issues with the recoil of the .40 cal, I have a S&W SD40VE in that caliber. My current CCW is a first gen S&W Shield in 9mm. I also have a SA 911 in 9mm, but I am having issues with the ambi safety, meaning when I take safety off, the meaty portion of my hand rubs the safety on the right side of gun, not letting the safety to completely disengage most of the time. So I was just going to get something else to start using for my CCW. Looked at the EMP .40, it was just going to be heavy to carry with mag fully loaded, so I picked up a Gen5 G26 in 9mm, still may go back up and purchase the EMP.

Morning Sir,
I have no issues with the recoil of the .40 cal, I have a S&W SD40VE in that caliber. My current CCW is a first gen S&W Shield in 9mm. I also have a SA 911 in 9mm, but I am having issues with the ambi safety, meaning when I take safety off, the meaty portion of my hand rubs the safety on the right side of gun, not letting the safety to completely disengage most of the time. So I was just going to get something else to start using for my CCW. Looked at the EMP .40, it was just going to be heavy to carry with mag fully loaded, so I picked up a Gen5 G26 in 9mm, still may go back up and purchase the EMP.
Good Morning to You,

I'm not an ambi safety fan either. One of these days I'll order a RH single safety for it.

Annihilator, if you're good with a .40 S&W, I'd definitely agree with your decision to go with one. The 9MM is a decent self-defense cartridge. The. 40S&W is a very good self-defense cartridge. The .45 ACP is an excellent self-defense cartridge. At least that's how my opinion has 'em ranked.

BTW, as I'm certain you're aware, in a self-defense scenario, it's amost certain to be strong hand shooting with weak hand free for tactical advantage. That was a substantial criterion that sold me on an EMP 3 9MM.

I really like the SA 911, that’s why I got it, but I wasn't planning on having issues with the ambi safety, on a full size 1911, no issues, just on this small gun. All well, what ya gonna do......lol

HELLCAT, EMP4LWC & KIMBER MICRO 9 LG are all part of my arsenal.
The HELLCAT is the best CCW IMHO.
EMP4LWC is a sweet gun. As Hickock noted, the grips are slim. Not really a good CCW IMHO.
KIMBER MICRO9LG was my carry piece for a few yrs. Worked well. Didn't train much with the LG's, but did occasionally.

I prefer the HELLCAT because my hands prefer the double stack & I think that the extra capacity is great to have. But there are many great guns at our disposal.

Good Morning terdog,

The EMP 3 is a concealed carry, self-defense handgun. It's grips are perfect size. I have large hand and zero difficulty controlling it. Larger grips might make it more difficult to conceal.

I had my EMP 3 in my front pants pocket a lot of the day today in a remote area of Southern Utah. I almost forget it was there.

Back