testtest

Springfield Armory lacking in Quality Control and Stupid RMA repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about at my end of the rope with Springfield, the last two guns I purchase have had issues out of the box. Let me describe the last round, I purchased a Emissary 4.25 inch .45. Out of the box it's shooting to the left, weird I think to myself. I get a different set of sights install and same issue, check online and every post I read is directed at the shooter being the issue. I'm pretty seasoned shooter and I'm pretty spot on so I'm feeling its not me. I put the pistol in a mount and shoot and there it is still shooting to the left. I reach out to the Warranty department and they say send it in for RMA. A couple of weeks go by and then I get a notice that it's been shipped back to me, sight adjusted is what it said. So here's how the RMA department "FIXED" this gun, by cranking the sight to the right and provide me with the target. Well the only positive thing to come out of this was I was right, it's shoots to the left. WTH seriously is this acceptable fix for Springfield. I've added a few photo's to give you an idea of how Springfield fixed this issue. I'm guessing this is the very last Springfield that will be gotten with my money. Again this is the second SA gun that I've had issues with out of the box in the past year. I email RMA and got no reply and also Customer Service and no reply from them either.

Today I took it to a gunsmith to them look at it and see if they can resolve the issue, but now my warranty is probably going to be void, but at least I'll have a gun that shoots straight!

Anyone else running into issue with Quality control?

Attachments

• IMG20240321111145 (1).jpg
    IMG20240321111145 (1).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG20240321114036 (1).jpg
    IMG20240321114036 (1).jpg
    3 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG20240321114044 (1).jpg
    IMG20240321114044 (1).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I'm about at my end of the rope with Springfield, the last two guns I purchase have had issues out of the box. Let me describe the last round, I purchased a Emissary 4.25 inch .45. Out of the box it's shooting to the left, weird I think to myself. I get a different set of sights install and same issue, check online and every post I read is directed at the shooter being the issue. I'm pretty seasoned shooter and I'm pretty spot on so I'm feeling its not me. I put the pistol in a mount and shoot and there it is still shooting to the left. I reach out to the Warranty department and they say send it in for RMA. A couple of weeks go by and then I get a notice that it's been shipped back to me, sight adjusted is what it said. So here's how the RMA department "FIXED" this gun, by cranking the sight to the right and provide me with the target. Well the only positive thing to come out of this was I was right, it's shoots to the left. WTH seriously is this acceptable fix for Springfield. I've added a few photo's to give you an idea of how Springfield fixed this issue. I'm guessing this is the very last Springfield that will be gotten with my money. Again this is the second SA gun that I've had issues with out of the box in the past year. I email RMA and got no reply and also Customer Service and no reply from them either.

Today I took it to a gunsmith to them look at it and see if they can resolve the issue, but now my warranty is probably going to be void, but at least I'll have a gun that shoots straight!

All my "SA-Made" 1911's are mid-90's and older ones and have been fine.

The others are from the XD/XDm family that's imported with no problems there.

BTW - How a person handles a handgun can also affect the point-of-aim, and correcting that piece-of-the equation would lessen the need to drift/adjust the sights.

1711238433138.png

So the sights needed adjusting? Doesn't look that bad to me. They are made so you can do that.
Does it shoot to POA now? How does it group?

Pretty much every semi-auto pistol I've ever owned, I've had the adjust the rear sight slightly right to get it zeroed. That's just the way my hands work and I've learned to live with it. No big deal. :rolleyes:

Thanks as I mentioned I'm a pretty seasoned shooter and have 6 1911 models so I'm pretty versed in shooting the model and ccw a sig Saur 1911. Just to ensure it wasn't me as I mentioned I used a gun vise with the same results. What you provided is what each google result came back with, it's YOU, well I'm pretty sure its not.

The person I talked to today said it wasn't uncommon and generally has something to do with the barrel.

Regarding the sight adjustment, this isn't acceptable, when drawing the weapon it take micro adjustments to a line the wonky sights. If I just wanted to use it as a range gun, I could probably live with it, but I don't want to have to live with it, I want it fixed.

So the sights needed adjusting? Doesn't look that bad to me. They are made so you can do that.
Does it shoot to POA now? How does it group?

Pretty much every semi-auto pistol I've ever owned, I've had the adjust the rear sight slightly right to get it zeroed. That's just the way my hands work and I've learned to live with it. No big deal.

Yeah its a bit more than slightly to the right. I have 6 1911 and none of those needed that type of adjustment, in fact out of the 20 pistols none have this issue. I'll wait and see what the gunsmith comes back with.

Here’s the thing:

They did, in fact, correct the problem; the pistol now shoots to point of aim.

Is the true root of the problem a poorly fitted barrel? Yes, it is. But they aren’t going to replace the barrel and/or bushing and then refit everything; that’s a lot of work for an issue that’s easily corrected by adjusting the sights…

I’d dump it and move on, myself. I wouldn’t muck about throwing money at it; I’d get something better.

Sounds like it is fixed according to Springfield. I have never had an issue with Springfields firearms. Rifle and handguns have performed perfectly. It seems to me you would not be happy with anything Springfield does so may I suggest you try to sell the firearm back to Springfield if they are willing to it or just sell the gun and go with another brand. Sometimes things cannot be fixed. Why get aggravated find something else and move on. Life is too short to worry about things we have no control of.

Here’s the thing:

They did, in fact, correct the problem; the pistol now shoots to point of aim.

Is the true root of the problem a poorly fitted barrel? Yes, it is. But they aren’t going to replace the barrel and/or bushing and then refit everything; that’s a lot of work for an issue that’s easily corrected by adjusting the sights…

I’d dump it and move on, myself. I wouldn’t muck about throwing money at it; I’d get something better.
Unfortunately, dumping it comes at a loss. Why should the buyer have that. It's new and the mfgr should repair at all cost.

Does it shoot to POA now? How does it group? That's the important part.

Sights get adjusted all the time. Its normal. The gun is most likely well within all specs. But the way it went together, it shoots slightly right. That is not unusual at all. The fix is to adjust the sights.

I'm not quite sure I understand what exactly is your issue with this is? Please explain.

Except it’s probably within tolerance; the sight can be drifted to compensate.

In SA’s view, alles gut.
IF, it's only about sights and adjusted as needed it should and will be fine. BUT, it it's an underlying issue it should be fixed by SA. I adjust sights as needed and don't send it back to the mfgr. If he doesn't like how far the sights have been moved to be corrected for poi, then it's on him. I have rifle sights that are not in the middle 1/3 and shoot fine on poi. No ocd on my part :ROFLMAO:

IF, it's only about sights and adjusted as needed it should and will be fine. BUT, it it's an underlying issue it should be fixed by SA. I adjust sights as needed and don't send it back to the mfgr. If he doesn't like how far the sights have been moved to be corrected for poi, then it's on him. I have rifle sights that are not in the middle 1/3 and shoot fine on poi. No ocd on my part :ROFLMAO:
Again, it’s all about manufacturer’s tolerance specs.

The pistol is within tolerance, most likely.

They aren’t going to spend 10-12 man hours doing something that be fixed in one (adjust sights).

Well, it's always best to call them instead of emailing them, and yes, more then likely your warranty is void since you had someone else work on it, and in my 40+ years of shooting handguns, no fixed sited pistol or revolver will shoot perfectly to the point of aim, you either compensate yourself or you drift the sights, just sayin

All my "SA-Made" 1911's are mid-90's and older ones and have been fine.

The others are from the XD/XDm family that's imported with no problems there.

BTW - How a person handles a handgun can also affect the point-of-aim, and correcting that piece-of-the equation would lessen the need to drift/adjust the sights.

View attachment 54641
Helpful charts, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back