testtest

Springfield Armory M1 Carbine

Before the AR, the M1 Garand was America's rifle.

There were no M1 carbines at the long-range matches like Camp Perry, and I've seen many more Garands than the carbines in my life.

But Kudos to SA for putting their BB gun version into production so folks can reenact the feel of the original.

Last edited:
I purchased a M1 Grand Carbine from MidwayUSA when they had them. The only reason why was because of all the fuss I was hearing about them. I got a Westchester in "Good to Very Good" condition.

Other than the history behind them and the collectors value, I'm not sure why they'd be popular in the long-term the current market unless they were priced in the $500-$600 range which I doubt will happen.

I'd sell mine off, but I don't want to fo thar and regret it in the future.

Auto Ordnance makes from what I'm told a really nice M-1 Carbine. Saw one in my LGS and I walked past looking at other items and while the thought to at least see and handle it, another customer beat me to it. From what I'm told they are good shooters but an Auto Ordnance runs a little over a grand. Would be nice if Springfield started producing them and then I'd probably be interested.

Low and behold my LGS just got in an Inland Manufacturing M1 Carbine. I don't know anything about them does any one here know any info ? Like parts availability, ammo availability and how hard they are to clean and maintain ? The only thing I know is my deceased Uncle carried one in WW 2 with the 101 st Airborne and he made the D-Day parachute jump into Normandy. Like most veterans he didn't speak much about it especially to us kids all that he would say is he hoped no one ever had to go through that experience. Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Low and behold my LGS just got in an Inland Manufacturing M1 Carbine. I don't know anything about them does any one here know any info ? Like parts availability, ammo availability and how hard they are to clean and maintain ? The only thing I know is my deceased Uncle carried one in WW 2 with the 101 st Airborne and he made the D-Day parachute jump into Normandy. Like most veterans he didn't speak much about it especially to us kids all that he would say is he hoped no one ever had to go through that experience. Any info would be greatly appreciated...
What's the price?

There’s a lot of surplus parts out there, and these are supposedly built to GI spec, so…that’s a non-issue.

Ammo? The cheap surplus .30 Carbine dried up a while back…there’s several current production options, though. All the “Big 3”—REM, Win, Fed—make .30C, as well as several smaller and foreign sources. Nice thing about .30C surplus—at least US, and most foreign (Korean surplus was fairly common)— is that they are all made with non corrosive primers.

Cleaning and maintenance? No harder/easier than a M1 Garand/M1A/Mini-14/30.

I remember in the late 80's, early 90's, when there was a bunch of M1 Carbines on the market, around the same time you could pick up a SovBloc or ChiCom SKS for $70 to $80 out of a barrel packed with dried out cosmoline. I was working full time and going to school full time, so didn't spring for an M1, but did by a couple of SKS's. Took a lot of elbow grease to get the cosmo off and out. Wish now I'd have bought an M1 and a couple dozen SKS's and hung on to them. The two I had, I sold in the late 90's for $150 each. Darn near doubled my money in 10 years. Now those SKS's have quadrupled in price.

One of those "If Only" moments where you kick yourself for not having better foresight.

I assembled a M1 carbine from scratch using one of several Springfield, Inc. receivers that I bought in the late 1990's. The receivers are of very high quality and I spent about 4 years acquiring all the necessary USGI parts either on line or at gun shows. I found a new/old stock Winchester barrel that I mated to the receiver and had a gunsmith with USGI carbine experience to the head spacing for me, otherwise I did everything else myself.

It was a great learning experience but it was not necessarily a cost effective venture. It shoots and operates flawlessly.

DSCF0079.JPG

I assembled a M1 carbine from scratch using one of several Springfield, Inc. receivers that I bought in the late 1990's. The receivers are of very high quality and I spent about 4 years acquiring all the necessary USGI parts either on line or at gun shows. I found a new/old stock Winchester barrel that I mated to the receiver and had a gunsmith with USGI carbine experience to the head spacing for me, otherwise I did everything else myself.

It was a great learning experience but it was not necessarily a cost effective venture. It shoots and operates flawlessly.

View attachment 32241
Good for you--nice looking rifle! (y)

Back when the big wave of surplus carbines came in in the mid/late '80s, I contacted one of the big importers about selling me a barreled receiver--which they did, for just $100. I already had nearly everything else on hand and put one together myself. It's been my primary "house gun" for almost 40 years now.

SAM1Carbine04.jpg

Back